• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sore Feet

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I have been fostering an Orange-Winged Amazon for about a month now. Age unknown. As far as I know, she was in a smoker’s house and lived in a small filthy cage, and because of that, she is not as healthy and active as she could be. I think she is underweight ---- less than 400g (can other OWA caretakers comment on this?) For about 2 weeks, she did not want to come out of her cage, but as I lured her with good food, she loves to come out now. In her cage, she spends more of her time on one perch and does not move much.

Anyway, I just noticed she has sore feet. The bottom of her feet are pink! I am not sure it is what is known as bumble feet or not (how can I tell?) I feel bad and I did not notice sooner. What can I do to help her? I got her a platform but she does not want to use it (yet). Maybe I can cover her favorite perch with something. I am looking for ideas and your help is greatly appreciated.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Definitely vet wrap perches. Feel around and see if there's anything sharp or abrasive in the areas she likes to sit.

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Thank you. It looks like level 1 bumble feet. I don't know how long she was with the smoker, but I see several health issues. She is very sweet, though! Just vet wrapped her perches.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Getting her to move around more should also help. Bumblefoot is usually a condition from inactivity.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Reactions: MNR

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Great ideas. She really does not move much inside of her cage. She is better when she is out, but she can really use more exercise!