• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Sophie recycles newspaper

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
A real life paper shredder! She can shred your old bills! Lol Freddy's sitting on our sofa as we speak. He likes playing on the pillows and going from me to Joe, and back to the sofa. Then he pauses to watch what's on tv, and chew his paper roll. They are sweet birds....I think they all are....the cockatoos are little love bugs haha
For sure Cockatoo's surely steal our hearts in a big way! :heart:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Every time you post a picture of her I feel guilty for not giving my birds more baths. Sophie looks like such a clean(as in light and fluffy clean feathers) cockatoo.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Every time you post a picture of her I feel guilty for not giving my birds more baths. Sophie looks like such a clean(as in light and fluffy clean feathers) cockatoo.
She hates a shower so we steam her just about every night. She gets damp, but not wet to the skin. She hates water bottles so steam baths it is. Her fluff is very soft. She's very white too.

I am not sure why there is no feather growing from the down. I ordered missing link and will try this over her fresh. May alternate with Featherriffic soon.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She hates a shower so we steam her just about every night. She gets damp, but not wet to the skin. She hates water bottles so steam baths it is. Her fluff is very soft. She's very white too.

I am not sure why there is no feather growing from the down. I ordered missing link and will try this over her fresh. May alternate with Featherriffic soon.
Could it be that she just has follicle damage from long term plucking? Its not unheard of in cockatoos. My own GSC2 did a moderate amount of plucking when she was young from allergies and she gets a little thin looking on her chest during a molt because some follicles just aren't active anymore. She rarely plucks now. Ariel is still gorgeous but I now her feathers aren't as thick as they should be.

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Could it be that she just has follicle damage from long term plucking? Its not unheard of in cockatoos. My own GSC2 did a moderate amount of plucking when she was young from allergies and she gets a little thin looking on her chest during a molt because some follicles just aren't active anymore. She rarely plucks now. Ariel is still gorgeous but I now her feathers aren't as thick as they should be.
I am not sure on the damage to the follicles. I thought once they were damaged there would be no feather growth, just bare or a few here and there. Diet is good, eating Harrison's HP, eats broccoli, peas, sweet potato, sugar snap peas very little corn. She's not a fruit eater so far, but will try the tiny oranges for an occasional piece, and melon. She likes dry papaya, and pellet berries and Tropical Fruit nutriberries and the Caitec baked fruit munchies. Eats no seed only what's in the nutriberries and gets a few almonds.

We do cover her chest, that's the worst area of picking. She may just be as she is, giving it a try to feather her up. I accept her as she is and love her just the same if she were in perfect feather. :)

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am not sure on the damage to the follicles. I thought once they were damaged there would be no feather growth, just bare or a few here and there. Diet is good, eating Harrison's HP, eats broccoli, peas, sweet potato, sugar snap peas very little corn. She's not a fruit eater so far, but will try the tiny oranges for an occasional piece, and melon.

We do cover her chest, that's the worst area of picking. She may just be as she is, giving it a try to feather her up. I accept her as she is and love her just the same if she were in perfect feather. :)
I think some birds focus mostly on down feathers to pluck, others focus mostly on the regular feathers and others will pick all of them. If she was plucking the regular contour feathers mostly and leaving the down alone, that might explain why they aren't growing back very well. Ariel was thankfully the opposite. Mostly plucking down and the odd contour feather. So now she has a few contours that don't regrow but mostly a lack of down in some places. Sophie is still a gorgeous little girl umbrella.

Nancy B

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I am not sure on the damage to the follicles. I thought once they were damaged there would be no feather growth, just bare or a few here and there. Diet is good, eating Harrison's HP, eats broccoli, peas, sweet potato, sugar snap peas very little corn. She's not a fruit eater so far, but will try the tiny oranges for an occasional piece, and melon. She likes dry papaya, and pellet berries and Tropical Fruit nutriberries and the Caitec baked fruit munchies. Eats no seed only what's in the nutriberries and gets a few almonds.

The little vest that she wears, is that something purchased? And is that easy to get on her?? Just curious....a little one with her name on it would be cute lol

Max83

Walking the driveway
she seems to work for the same industry of my CAG! Same little pieces! in the last pic is adorable