• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

sooty

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
So what you are saying is that Feeding is the ONLY instinct the bird has? Even safe leaves to play in is enrichment... things from its wild environment. Adding enrichment is important for all animals. They find enrichment in their natural environment.
You've taken a wind animal and put it in a cage with some sticks in the middle and given it food (not from its environment) and left it there. All it has is FOOD!

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
No talking now of handling. We are asking why you don't put leaves from the environment for it to sort through as if looking for food, other branches with bark on it to chew off and stuff like he would have in the wild to manipulate. The type of minimalist taming you are doing was done way back in the 1800 and turned out schizophrenic birds. Of course he is going to interact with you and do what you say because he is bored to death and desperately wants some kind of interaction with another creature. At his age, if I do not mis-understand you, he would still have his parents to interact with.

We do abundance and trust taming for our parrots, which are no means actually tame for the most part. Many of our parrots come to us as angry, mishandled and distrustful baby birds who were starved into weaning and are hungry and very, very afraid or angry with humans.

I figure you are doing "taming" as a tribal or community standard, as it was done by the beginning people tamed the mynah. But we have mynah here in America which are bread and tamed using many of the products and ideas we use on our parrots and produce a bird which is tightly bonded with the owner and very well behaved in company.

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
yes you are getting smarter, but still missing the point, once there you will understand, most animals have a cultured upbringing, while parrots deffer their existence to people, hill mynahs are still in need for pre-natural upbringing, identical to how they are adopted in the wild... mynahs unlike ravens are an adaptive species while also being adoptive in nature... as you don't know mynahs do not lay eggs unless made given through environmental pressure, in turn they adopt nest which have been vacated, and to raise them as their own with the pre-natural symbiotic mindset.

while other softbills like crows do not multiply and ravens likewise live in a structured pack of heirachy and hegemony, and are opportunist in nature.

just for your information crows used to be brown in color, i'm not sure you're getting the point but that's that

Last edited:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The easiest way to piss anyone off is to call them dumb or stupid, which you have done above. You will not speak about what type of training you are using and now you call us stupid. Using an ancient taming technique is fine, but you will not explain what it is about. Hummmm... I find I am quite upset about being called stupid.

I AM NO LONGER PARTICIPATING IN THIS THREAD. IT WILL JUST MAKE ME ANGRY AND UPSET THE BIRD IS SUFFERING AND THE MAKER OF THE THREAD CANNOT OR WILL NOT INTERACT INTELLIGENTLY. HAVE FUN, EVERYONE ELSE.

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
i'm sorry you can't sustain you're efforts of complaining but if you want we can have a private discussion, with the chat function, that's the whole point of the chat function don't lambaste people on their treads please, just chat privately would be good... i listen to advice and opinion doesn't mean i'll apply everything

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
to tell you the truth i'm not doing handling sessions till 2 to 3 months now because it could cause a stunt in growth if sooty goes out of the cage early, during the early first week to couple of months its important that they feed without any distraction or malnutrition could occur and cause health problems.

like i said its job is to grow and be strong before the handling sessions, without any distractions

Doublete

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Katie
I think there is a language barrier because NOBODY said to train the bird.

They said give him some branches. Leaves. Give him what he would have in NATURE to forage for his food so he's not so damn bored. He's in a bare cage with nothing to do but eat the food that's presented to him. Give him something a little more interactive.

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
_DSC4923.JPG

also the chicken feed is back on the diet

the magpie poultry is for supplementation

sooty literally eats from every dish

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Everyone, please think before you post, and try to keep things civil.

Heather F

Rollerblading along the road
i'm aiming for 2 feet 4 to 5 inches tall in two months
I don't understand, you are trying to grow this bird to two feet long? Even the "greater" mynah is a small bird. It can't get bigger than its species is meant to. If he is already fully feathered he is not likely to get too much bigger than he is, even if you keep him in a cage with nothing to do but eat.

Might I suggest that you look up "The official bird nerd" on Facebook? He is a bird keeper who is also in Malaysia and he might be able to explain some of the concepts that we are trying to get across regarding environment and enrichment with less cultural misunderstanding.

Also, did you say earlier you were feeding him mealworms? Those are quite high in iron, and the care information I have found on mynahs all underline that they need a low iron diet. Giving them food intended for another species with different dietary needs may not be a good idea.