• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

sooty

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard

at this size you should expect to have some activity, and i also think i should start changing the food and water twice a day from now on, so everything is fine, i just hope it really is a java greater hill mynah

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
i'm also decreasing the vitamins for digestion and appetite or he might suffer from diarrhea, upset digestion, at this stage he should be developing stomach acids based on the food he's given, hence needing the digestion/appetite vitamins to ease to process of eating before reaching this size

that's why most baby mynah kept in captivity perish under a week due to being unable to feed and eat without proper supplements, and capacity to digest.

signs of this problem usually shows when they regurgitate without digesting the food

Last edited:

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
males are typically smaller than the female, and male counterparts/pairs are usually the same size, same with two female partners.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Will Sooty get a larger cage in the future or will he have a lot of free time outside of it? What kinds of things do Mynahs like to play with /interact with?

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
We don't understand why such a potentially intelligent bird is kept in a small cage and has no toys to engage his mind and help him with his physical dexterity. You apparently have a very different outlook on how an intelligent bird should be raised. You seem to want to bore or stubborn the bird to death so that he must make a bond with you or nothing. I cannot say I like this type of deprivation training and find it rather cruel compared to our work with parrots. I understand a mynah is a different type of bird, but they are bright, intelligent and active birds who interact with their flock families. I don't see that keeping them in isolation and without toys or social interaction helps tame them.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
yOU SHOW US VIDEO, BUT ANSWER NO QUESTIONS. IS IT BECAUSE YOUR ENGLISH IS NOT GOOD? SOOTY LOOKS GOOD. STRONGER AND MORE ACTIVE. STILL, WHY NO TOYS OR THINGS TO MANIPULATE?

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
handling sessions comes when hes 2 months old, their behavioral mechanism for taming a mynah is more complex than your parrot or any other parrot, parrots are fully bred meant for captivity over the years, mynahs are still wild and still circumvent on the need of pre-natural upbrigning

i hope there's no misunderstanding but the means of taming a mynah is much more difficult than most birds, because their sense of belonging is only due to specific species type mindset, not with human bonding.

also there is not many means of foods to use as a means of training and handling

most mynahs fall for grapes others different, so the allowance of training comes at a slip margin of finding the food he likes, and him responding to it

Last edited:

Rolanda

Rollerblading along the road
Do mynahs not need mental stimulation of toys like all other animals?

Rabb.D

Strolling the yard
they just blatantly ignore all the toys and focus of feeding regardless of how many shiny toys i put in, i have a lot of toys but its useless

PeppysPal

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Allie
Parrots have not yet been bred for captivity either, they are still wild animals. I believe it goes to say for all beings (except for insects and some fish) that there's some need for stimulation. If toys do not work you may want to experiment a bit, put different kinds of toys, put food in the toys, anything. I just cannot see the bird being entertained or very happy without anything to do all day.