• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soon to be Texas zon owner signing in!

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Don't breeder birds generally not make good human companions?
Not necessarily...it depends on the bird. If you're into training like you mentioned it could be a good thing.
Also those are some beatiful birds. I wish i could get a cockatoo they are an absolute riot. I was hanging out with the couple the guy that sold me my cage owned.

Thanks, cockatoos are a whole other ball game . Depending on the species. Again there are traits & individual temperaments ,family dynamics to consider. Exotics are high maintenance indeed. ;)

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Thanks, cockatoos are a whole other ball game . Depending on the species. Again there are traits & individual temperaments ,family dynamics to consider. Exotics are high maintenance indeed. ;)
For me the biggest issue with them would be noise levels. I live in an apartment (a huge nearly sound proof one with few neighbors) and i've met many amazons that are well suited to apartment living and most of the amazon owners i'm meeting live in apartments with no issues and i'm not sure i've met a single cockatoo that is in an apartment. They love to be heard.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My BFA is not at all noisy. The same can not be said for my YNA. Sometimes she is louder than my 'toos, but she is A LOT better than when I first got her.
Sorry that the BFA you were considering fell through. I was not considering an Amazon but I went shopping for supplies at a local bird store and they had baby BFAs and I wound up taking one home with me. I inherited my YNA. I don't think there were bird rescue organizations when I got Casey, BFA, or when my friend got Shannon, YNA but I'm not 100% sure about that. If there were they were very few and far between.

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
My BFA is not at all noisy. The same can not be said for my YNA. Sometimes she is louder than my 'toos, but she is A LOT better than when I first got her.
Sorry that the BFA you were considering fell through. I was not considering an Amazon but I went shopping for supplies at a local bird store and they had baby BFAs and I wound up taking one home with me. I inherited my YNA. I don't think there were bird rescue organizations when I got Casey, BFA, or when my friend got Shannon, YNA but I'm not 100% sure about that. If there were they were very few and far between.
Yeah, i definitely plan to spend enough time with any amazon i might rescue to get a feel for it's vocal behavior. When i volunteered at the rescue the macaws and cockatoos were SO F'ING LOUD haha. The amazons, like 6 or 7 of them were all just very zen, they were just playing and mostly just being little sentinals keeping an eye on the other birds and this enormous tall hairless ape that showed up to clean the crap out of their cages for the afternoon.

I've had one on one conversations now with about 2 dozen zon owners to get a good feel for what to expect, all of them have said at the very WORST their zons do the morning and evening flock call right before bed and it lasts about 15 to 25 minutes but it's also pretty easy to get them to sing something fun instead. Stuff like that isn't an issue. My apartment which i'm not leaving anytime soon is so old and well insulated i played EAR SPLITTING audio of amazons throwing tantrums and none of my neighbors could even tell if i played it or not. Best of all, this apartment is simply gigantic, they just don't make em like this anymore. Some zons are louder than others. BFA's which seem to be by far the most common around here seem to be very chill.

How is your YNA anyways aggression wise? Wondering if i should put it on my list of breeds to consider. Their reputation hasn't exactly made them seem like the best prospects.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shannon is predictably unpredictable. She will lunge and try to bite me but then she will put her head down to be petted. Sometimes she starts regurgitating for me. It's sort of a "love/hate" relationship. I don't trust her with my other birds whereas Casey does not "bug" the other birds. I've known her since she was about 3 mos. old & got Casey a few wks. after my friend got Shannon. Tried to get them to be friends when they were a little older but Shannon just wanted to attack Casey. When I took them to the vet the tech took them for grooming. He returned with Shannon in her carrier but brought Casey back on his hand. That says a lot regarding the difference in their personalities.
Both BFAs and YNAs are 2 of the supposedly "hot 3" Amazons but it really does depend on the individual bird.

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Shannon is predictably unpredictable. She will lunge and try to bite me but then she will put her head down to be petted. Sometimes she starts regurgitating for me. It's sort of a "love/hate" relationship. I don't trust her with my other birds whereas Casey does not "bug" the other birds. I've known her since she was about 3 mos. old & got Casey a few wks. after my friend got Shannon. Tried to get them to be friends when they were a little older but Shannon just wanted to attack Casey. When I took them to the vet the tech took them for grooming. He returned with Shannon in her carrier but brought Casey back on his hand. That says a lot regarding the difference in their personalities.
Both BFAs and YNAs are 2 of the supposedly "hot 3" Amazons but it really does depend on the individual bird.
OUt of curiosity, have you tried training and desensitization to address this biting behavior?

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Excellent. There's a YNA advertised in austin. I'll see if it's a scam haha. 99% of them are. I had no idea how pervasive scamming and bird flipping was. It's really gross.

I was just talking to a lady with a DYH that she said she loved but didn't have time for it. He was her little baby and she just wants him to go to a good home where he'll get attention and somebody can work with him to make him less shy. Made an appointment to meet him this weekend and see if we got along. Within an hour of posting the ad she dumped him off with some stranger for 600 dollars, no vetting, no cage verification, no home visit, no interview. I'll bet money i see that bird on craigslist again within days for 1000 bucks, probably a photo taken with him in a rabbit cage with a bowl of sunflower seeds for food :\

I dunno. My parents had to rehome some of our pets when i was a little kid, i've had friends had to rehome pets, i don't recall money EVER entering into that equation, all they cared about is that they got a good home. I know birds are expensive but this is kindof grotesque :\

Last edited:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
If you want to go out of state and visit Colorado, the Gabriel Foundation has a number of nice Amazons and if you look on their facebook (don't need to have an account) they have a nice Amazon they just took in featured today. They do adopt out of state but need you to visit.

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
@baserock love, this popped up on CL this morning. Does not say where she is located, but may be worth the email. It is BFA!
Blue front Amazon parrot
I texted them. It's a scam. They were quite friendly till I said i wanted to visit. I'm getting screening the bird flippers and scammers down to a science haha. Say you want to visit and meet the bird a couple times to see if you even get along and see if they care AT ALL what kind of home you're going to provide for it and the scammers/flippers just ignore you.

If you want to go out of state and visit Colorado, the Gabriel Foundation has a number of nice Amazons and if you look on their facebook (don't need to have an account) they have a nice Amazon they just took in featured today. They do adopt out of state but need you to visit.
I see them come up when i do nation wide searches on the pet adoption search engines. I would LOVE to go up there but it's really far. I might consider it if nothing turns up a bit closer. Right now i'm willing to do about a 10 hour round trip.

Thanks everybody though for the warm welcomes tips and advice!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
May I ask why an Amazon? Would you consider a different type of birds, such as one of the Pois, an Eclectus, Pionus, etc?

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
May I ask why an Amazon? Would you consider a different type of birds, such as one of the Pois, an Eclectus, Pionus, etc?
I'd like something larger and intelligent but not as large and loud as a macaw and as loud as a cockatoo. It was my experience with a macaw that originally started my interest in owning some sort of parrot. I love the hammy playful personalities of amazons as well as their somewhat more independent attitudes than some other species as well as their somewhat less delicate personalities and being less prone to self mutilation habits and being more eager for or accepting of physical effection than some of the species you mentioned. The amazons i've been around and the many people i've asked to talk about their experiences living with their amazons they're very social and playful but also content much of the day to entertain themselves on their play gym or just passively observe the goings on around them. I'm intrigued by the experiences the amazon owners I know have with their intelligence and talking abilities in conjunction with being able to pick up on impressive things like using human vocalizations in a contextual way (Such as mimicking laughter when somebody trips because they observe humans laughing when that happens.) they've picked up from observing the humans around them. Basically they seem like fun if not challenging pets that can be great companions without being too codependent. I did a lot of searching and for what i do day to day amazons just seem like a good fit.

After spending some quality time with a really sweet pair of them I'm a bit more open to possibly adopting an african grey as of last weekend.