• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soon to be Texas zon owner signing in!

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Here are three that show up on Adopt-a-Pet.com in Burleson, not too far from Bryan. 2 say they will not be adopted out to males, though. I will keep looking. I did not know this one was so close. Will keep looking and let you know what I find
Yeah, that's birdlink, that's the place i mentioned earlier.

The only one they would consider adopting to a guy is the extremely old, poorly socialized wild caught DYH. I'm just not sure I want one with that history for my first and only bird. That 24 year old one is probably about as old as I'd want to go at this time.

That said, i'm getting a massive cage for a pretty good price tomorrow probably down in houston! Baby steps!

Here is a BFA in Houston. Adopt Me | Bird Haven
Yes! He's the one i mentioned i will probably put in an application to adopt once i get the money round up and cage all set up. Pretty sure he's up near DFW not houston. That's a helluva drive but i'm willing to go visit him.

Last edited:

Newbie GCC

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
You are correct. It is in Red Oak. Sorry.
SBABS Home

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You'll never find a better Amazon than a female nape or DYH that loves you.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
A rescue in houston run out of an exotic bird shop. I was not impressed with how they treated the birds. I'm not going back. If there's one that's a similar distance that doesn't imo terrorize the birds there, i'd love to do more volunteer work.
I think I know where you're talking about.... big place that sells birds and toys, etc? Birds EVERYWHERE in rusty cages? An outdoor area holding birds but not open to the public? If it's not the same place, I'm saddened that there are multiple bad ones here!! If we're thinking of the same, I reached out once upon a time (before I realized it was the same place I had been in years before) for help with a situation in which I needed to place a couple African greys. The lady was quick to say she'd take them, no questions, bring them in a carrier, they didn't want the cages... for whatever reason I had a gut feeling so dug deeper to figure out why. Sure enough, it was the same place. And yes, their "rehoming fees" are ridiculous. Seems more to me like they're just taking in free/dumped birds and selling them!!! Anyway, Gulf Coast Exotic Bird Sanctuary - and a wonderful lady that works there, who I've stayed in touch with - took the greys to her own home b/c they just needed some extra TLC. It's an hour from me or I'd be there volunteering regularly!

It's hard for rescues to be perfect for sure but there are definitely good and bad ones out there! A good friend of mine has Soft Landings Parrot Rescue in Owasso, OK. I don't think she has any mealeys but she does have a few zons. If you ever considered making the drive up there, I could put you in touch with her.

As someone else mentioned, take your time, let the bird pick YOU.... you may not end up with the one you went looking for but when it's right, it's awesome, regardless of the particular kind! Keep us posted!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
I think I know where you're talking about.... big place that sells birds and toys, etc? Birds EVERYWHERE in rusty cages? An outdoor area holding birds but not open to the public? If it's not the same place, I'm saddened that there are multiple bad ones here!! If we're thinking of the same, I reached out once upon a time (before I realized it was the same place I had been in years before) for help with a situation in which I needed to place a couple African greys. The lady was quick to say she'd take them, no questions, bring them in a carrier, they didn't want the cages... for whatever reason I had a gut feeling so dug deeper to figure out why. Sure enough, it was the same place. And yes, their "rehoming fees" are ridiculous. Seems more to me like they're just taking in free/dumped birds and selling them!!! Anyway, Gulf Coast Exotic Bird Sanctuary - and a wonderful lady that works there, who I've stayed in touch with - took the greys to her own home b/c they just needed some extra TLC. It's an hour from me or I'd be there volunteering regularly!

It's hard for rescues to be perfect for sure but there are definitely good and bad ones out there! A good friend of mine has Soft Landings Parrot Rescue in Owasso, OK. I don't think she has any mealeys but she does have a few zons. If you ever considered making the drive up there, I could put you in touch with her.

As someone else mentioned, take your time, let the bird pick YOU.... you may not end up with the one you went looking for but when it's right, it's awesome, regardless of the particular kind! Keep us posted!
You are correct. It is in Red Oak. Sorry.
SBABS Home
WE are all talking about the same place. I want nothing to do with that place in houston. Good on them for taking in so many animals that need homes, feeding them very well and giving them at least clean cages and from the looks of it keeping their bills and beaks trimmed but yeah, those birds were pretty much terrorized there.

The worst was the male owner saying to me about one of the 3 african greys they had, all plucked bald for most of their bodies "She'll step right up but soon as anybody's holding her she just tears out her feathers!", which he says before he frantically chases this terrified bird around it's cage while it screams in terror, eventually pinning it to the wall so that it had no choice but to step up and nowhere to escape. It was already literally shaking in fear at just our presence before he did that. I saw him do this to multiple birds for no good reason other than to be like "Check out this bird!".

And I will keep you posted. Here's hte latest development! IMAG0159.jpg No, that's not a small couch, that is a gigantic cage. Brand new 700 dollar 72" tall cage i picked up in houston, 1" bar spacing. Got to hang out with some cockatoos and african grey's also. I'm now warming up more to the possibility of adopting an african, they were utterly adorable and just really fun.

Now to fill it with toys and perches and start the cursory search for a birb to call it home!

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
i live in Austin and have contacts pm me
I'm trying to figure out how...I saw the thread about how to do it and none of the options it says to click on seem to exist. I use some of the most complex programs ever made for my work and i can' figure out how to send a PM on this bird forum lol. I'll send it soon as i figure this out.

EDIT: I can only assume that there's a post limit you have to hit to unlock pm'ing priviliges because the options for me to send them just aren't there. If you could PM me I would appreciate it.

Last edited:

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
I'm trying to figure out how...I saw the thread about how to do it and none of the options it says to click on seem to exist. I use some of the most complex programs ever made for my work and i can' figure out how to send a PM on this bird forum lol. I'll send it soon as i figure this out.

EDIT: I can only assume that there's a post limit you have to hit to unlock pm'ing priviliges because the options for me to send them just aren't there. If you could PM me I would appreciate it.
You need 25 posts to PM someone.

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
You'll never find a better Amazon than a female nape or DYH that loves you.
I've heard wonderful things about DYHs. YNs reputation seems to proceed them. It seems like everybody i talk to says they're so moody and so prone to random bouts of aggression, i dunno, it turned me off. Is that all just talk?

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Welcome.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I've heard wonderful things about DYHs. YNs reputation seems to proceed them. It seems like everybody i talk to says they're so moody and so prone to random bouts of aggression, i dunno, it turned me off. Is that all just talk?

All birds are individuals. I have known some very sweet napes, hens, but also some that were as aggressive as males. I met a female yellow crowned Amazon that was so aggressive, I'd have sworn was a male. Personally, I prefer female parrots. Says the guy with 2 male macaws!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
We have two male blue front Amazon's.

One is a sweet heart and has bit me twice in 7 years..... both times when I was holding him and was at the other parrots cage. The other blue front can sit on my lap and take treats now.... but I transport the bird on a stick because I'm afraid of getting bit. Notice I didn't say I WOULD be bit, just that I'm AFRAID. I think the birds feed off our emotions so if anything, it's my fault.

Every bird is an individual. Where the hot three Amazon terminology came from, I don't know. I wonder how many good birds are out there that suffer from that stigma.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My BFA is generally very sweet. My YNA will let me pet her head BUT have to be very observant with her. She will frequently lunge at me and try to bite. She almost pierced the ear of her previous human while he was walking around with her on his shoulder. That's something I will never do. She is much moodier than my BFA.
Every bird is an individual so can't predict if one type of Amazon will be more moody and aggressive than another.

Last edited:

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Yeah. It's hard to know what to believe. Person after person I talk to says their YN or their friends YN is just vicious and barely can be handled. Meanwhile I hear from the top trainers and they say basically no parrot has to be a biter and you just need to work with it to address it's bad behavior. I rarely encounter the owner of a biting son that has the time to do any.sort of consistent training. Usually tHey have 5 other birds and a full time job.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any bird can bite even if you work with them and have handfed and raised them and know them forever. They get angry, they are hormonal, they might be ill, they might just be in a mood, they don't want to be "bugged" and they lash out.

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Sorry or the repeated posting, I'm trying to get my 25 posts up so i can do PM's. I'm shopping for crap to fill the cage with. Maybe you guys can tell me if i'm hitting all the bullet points here. Keep in mind this cage is 30x40x46 so it's fairly large. It will have a single amazon or possibly african grey but most likely amazon.

Perches:
A large textured concrete perch
Amazon.com : Living World Pedi-Perch, X-Large : Bird Perches : Pet Supplies

a 28" one of these guys for soft sleep perching. Was thinking i'd loop it from the ceiling.
Amazon.com : Booda Comfy Perch for Birds, Large 36-Inch, Colors Vary : Bird Toy : Pet Supplies

This is the exact width of the cage. natural wood perch which will run parallel to the food and water dishes giving easy access.
Amazon.com : Polly's Full Length Hardwood Bird Perch, 30-Inch : Hardwood Bird Cage Perchs : Pet Supplies

Two of these for access to certain places. One will be on the large door so I can station him there for station training and be able to just open the door and it will transition him from inside the cage to outside. The other will probably be by his treat bowl which I'll be using to get get him to think everybody is a friend. There's going to be a rule. if you come over you have to give him/her a treat. I'll also be dropping a treat in there every time i walk past the cage while whatever bird I get is acclimating to his new surroundings, before i take him out for the first time.
Amazon.com : SCASTOE Parrot Pet Raw Fork Stand Wood Toy Rack Hamster Tree Branch Perches Bird Cage : Pet Supplies

Both sizes of these. The shorter one for inside the cage and the longer one i'll hang from a shelf bracket on the wall in my room.
Amazon.com : Rope Bungee Perch Bird, 47inch Kintor Pure Natural Colorful Bead Cage Chewing Toys for Small Medium Parrot (47inch Length) : Pet Supplies

Toys:
1 or 2 of these for foraging. Will probably hide fruit in em.
Amazon.com : Creative Foraging Systems Foraging Sphere 3-Inch Diameter : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies

One of these for chewing/preening size large
Amazon.com : Paradise Toys Knots N Blocks, Large 6-Inch W by 16-Inch L : Pet Toys : Pet Supplies

Beyond that I plan to make most of his toys and perches from here on out. I been looking up safe DIY toys and most of the amazon owners i talk to their birds prefer easy diy stuff they can just destroy made of cardboard or paper or untreated lumber. I also plan to make multiple pvc training or table top perches from hardware store plans and when he's comfortable enough to be out of the cage with me all day i'll be getting him a rather large play gym i can wheel around to whatever room i'm in.

Anything i'm missing? Think it might be too crowding in his cage?
Any bird can bite even if you work with them and have handfed and raised them and know them forever. They get angry, they are hormonal, they might be ill, they might just be in a mood, they don't want to be "bugged" and they lash out.
Well yeah but there's a big difference between "My bird got sick 2 years ago and let me know by biting me" or "I did something stupid and wasn't paying attention and my bird bit me." and "I have to keep him in his cage because he will attack my face." and "I have to carry him around on a 2 foot long wooden dowel because he's not handleable." and birds that bite their owners every week or every month and just have straight up aggression and/or fear response issues.

It seems like the behavioral experts all seem to agree that the latter is not something anybody needs to put up with and they certainly don't put up with it with their parrots. I'm not talkinga bout internet experts, i'm talking about people like Barbara Heidenreich.

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Welcome to AA and your journey to find a zonnie. I'd give you my snotty little BFA Iris but my SO and my YHA Amarrillo would probably not be very happy!;) Well, Ams might not mind so much!:)

We have four pet Amazons, all females and three very good pets. Iris isn't bad but she's atypical for am Amazon...she's needy and picks on the other birds and has bonded to Amarillo. All of them were adopted as older birds except our LCA, Nibbles. She was only four when we got her. Amarillo was 12, our YCA Abigail was probably about 14, and Iris was probably about the same age. Every one of them was absolutely wonderful...except for Iris who is kind of snotty!:) She loves her daddy to pieces though and Amarillo!:) We also have BFA pair. The male is a handful and the female is a sweetheart.

I would check out petfinder.com and craigslist.org for your area and a few of those other sites for parrots looking for new homes. You'd be surprised how many come up. That's how we ended up with Nibbles who is amazing...just a little chatterbox for a species who isn't known for talking!:) From time to time we also have people come on AA who are looking to rehome too, so you never know.

Good luck and I hope you find the bird of your dreams!

baserock love

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Colin
Welcome to AA and your journey to find a zonnie. I'd give you my snotty little BFA Iris but my SO and my YHA Amarrillo would probably not be very happy!;) Well, Ams might not mind so much!:)

We have four pet Amazons, all females and three very good pets. Iris isn't bad but she's atypical for am Amazon...she's needy and picks on the other birds and has bonded to Amarillo. All of them were adopted as older birds except our LCA, Nibbles. She was only four when we got her. Amarillo was 12, our YCA Abigail was probably about 14, and Iris was probably about the same age. Every one of them was absolutely wonderful...except for Iris who is kind of snotty!:) She loves her daddy to pieces though and Amarillo!:) We also have BFA pair. The male is a handful and the female is a sweetheart.

I would check out petfinder.com and craigslist.org for your area and a few of those other sites for parrots looking for new homes. You'd be surprised how many come up. That's how we ended up with Nibbles who is amazing...just a little chatterbox for a species who isn't known for talking!:) From time to time we also have people come on AA who are looking to rehome too, so you never know.

Good luck and I hope you find the bird of your dreams!
I actually had an appointment to meet and possibly pick up a five year old BFA off craigslist on monday but the owner made up some lie and backed out at the last second, i was pretty disappointed as he seemed like a great fit. Still not sure whether he was trying to scam or just got cold feet or what. There's another bfa on there i've been having periodic chats with the owner of but i'm not exactly confident it's been taken care of well and i'm hesitent to adopt a parrot that might be fraught with medical issues. he said he stopped having his beak and nails trimmed "years ago and he doesn't mind." and said his first BFA died after 10 years of "some liver disease" because he didn't know that feeding them nothing but walmart bird seed was bad. I'm sure the disease was fatty liver disease. He claims his current BFA is on a good diet of pellets and chop but sure talked at length about how much he just loves pizza and cheetos and other garbage. The owner doesn't strike me as the sharpest knife in the drawer.

There's teh BFA at the rescue about 4 hours away but he's 24. I was all for this because I was under the impression amazons lived for a long time. I don't know what to believe now. No two information sources seem to agree, one site says they live for 25 to 30 years while another says 50 while another says 70. As much as i want to rescue a zon, i'm not sure if i want to get one at the tail end of it's life. I still haven't entirely finished grieving for my last companion and he passed on over a year ago.