• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Something wrong with the left ear.

xyzconurelove

Meeting neighbors
Hi all,

I just noticed that 6 months old my green cheek conure has ruffled feathers around his left ear, and checking closer, it appears that the ear is blocked with some sort of yellowish crust. The other ear doesn't have this problem. A week or so ago I noticed that he started sneezing with no discharge (like 4-5 sneezes one after the other). Didn't think much of this since he always sort of sneezed every now and then, but don't know if this is related to the ear somehow.

He acts completely normal (though more obnoxious/louder today), he eats and poops well. Extremely energetic. He doesn't seem to want me to really touch his ear though (May be because he literally doesn't sit still today, a bundle of extreme energy, keeps chirping).

I already made an appointment with the vet for Wednesday morning but till then, want to make sure this is not an emergency? Could this be an ear infection? If so, how is that even possible? He came directly from a breeder and has never been outside or near other birds.

Anything I can do to make his ear more comfortable? He did take a bath yesterday.

Thanks,

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
He should be seen earlier than Wednesday so he can start on antibiotics. Can you go as a walk in?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can you let them know that you can come in earlier if there is a cancellation or can you see if they will squeeze you in?

xyzconurelove

Meeting neighbors
When I mentioned these to them over the phone, they didn't seem overly concerned but said if I notice something to go to an emergency clinic. I can call them again and try to push for an earlier appointment. They are closed today though :/

Antibiotics? Think this might be an ear infection then?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
When I mentioned these to them over the phone, they didn't seem overly concerned but said if I notice something to go to an emergency clinic. I can call them again and try to push for an earlier appointment. They are closed today though :/

Antibiotics? Think this might be an ear infection then?

Go to the emergency clinic. If it’s an infection he can go down hill rapidly

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
Ear infections just happen sometimes, in people and animals. I'd take the advice of other people here and go to an emergency vet asap. Birds are very delicate animals and Wednesday might be too late. Even if it turns out to be nothing too serious if you go to the ER it could easily turn into something worse before your appointment

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope you can get to the vet sooner, and that your little bird will be okay. Keep us posted please!

xyzconurelove

Meeting neighbors
I did get him to the vet today. He had his ear cleaned (appears inflamed and red) but he has no other issues with his health. I was given Metacam for inflammation and watch him for the next 5 days to see if there's anymore build up of any kind or if inflammation/redness goes down.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this was a one-time thing that will heal on its own.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I did get him to the vet today. He had his ear cleaned (appears inflamed and red) but he has no other issues with his health. I was given Metacam for inflammation and watch him for the next 5 days to see if there's anymore build up of any kind or if inflammation/redness goes down.

Keeping my fingers crossed that this was a one-time thing that will heal on its own.
Did they give him anything other than metacam? Kamara had the same thing happen to her and they gave her like 2 different meds (eardrops and antibiotics)

xyzconurelove

Meeting neighbors
No, just metacam for now. They said there's nothing that indicates it's an infection... His sinuses were all clear and normal, other ear looks great. Overall checkup couldn't find anything other than that buildup on that one ear, which was just outside, the ear canal itself seems clean. They are giving the benefit of doubt I guess... I'm going to watch him and check his ear at all times.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope his ear clears up. I’m surprised they didn’t do a culture to check for a bacterial infection.

xyzconurelove

Meeting neighbors
I was surprised too to be honest, but the vet was really nice and seemed to know what he was talking about. He mentioned they would send a sample to the lab if it appears again, but that he doesn't like to do all things at once? :huh:

I heard him sneeze again several times at night, but his ear seems less red this morning. Fingers crossed.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Good that you brought him to the vet. Hope that his ear issue clears up quickly. Good that it is less red today.

xyzconurelove

Meeting neighbors
Unfortunately the crust is back :( His ear is blocked again... I'll have to take him back to the vet.

He really doesn't act sick at all but whatever that thing is is clearly coming from his ear, and that can't be normal, right?

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Poor little bird. :sadhug2: That definitely sounds like an ear infection to me.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that the ear issues are continuing. Hopefully the vet can determine the correct medication to help him.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Since you went to the E.R. would that get you in quicker?? Did he say he was sending the info to your avian vet?

xyzconurelove

Meeting neighbors
Since you went to the E.R. would that get you in quicker?? Did he say he was sending the info to your avian vet?
I didn't go to the ER, I was just able to reschedule my vet appointment to an earlier time. There is no 24/7 ER for avians in my city.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner

Ask your vet to do a culture and sensitivity. Taht is the only way you will find out if it is bacterial or fungal. The ear is a very common place for MRSA infections. The original owner of this forum had a bird with a MRSA infection in it's ear.

xyzconurelove

Meeting neighbors
So an update...

He acts completely normal still but the culture results came back positive for a staph infection (not antibiotic-resistant one luckily).

I don't understand how he could have gotten it in the first place? Could he get it from me? I read that some humans naturally carry staph without getting symptoms.
Can I get it from him?
What can I do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

Any insight from anyone who dealt with this bacteria?