• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent something stuck or regurgitating?

nm0710

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nicole
Zazu is about a year and a half and a bcc.

Tonight she was having a snack along with her pellets. I gave her a pistachio and played her favorite songs. She sat in her door frame and opened her mouth and made a shaking motion with her neck and it looked like she was choking. I said her name, she stopped and went back for more pellets. A few minutes later she did it again a few more times. I was really alarmed because I didn't see anything coming out but if she was choking, she wouldn't be going back for more food. I looked up regurgitating on YouTube and they did look similar.

She is acting normal. Eating, moving around, talking, pooping. However she's a bit more "nippy" than normal.

Does this sound like normal regurgitating behavior or something may have been stuck?

ThatsFowlPlay

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jasmine
She could be adjusting her crop. Here's a vid on how it looks like.
If this is not what she is doing, I recommend a visit to the vet. :heart:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Regurge usually bobbing head, vomiting is side to side head shaking, both have food or liquid coming up. Keep an eye on her, and always trust your gut feeling, it is breeding season, so could be she's trying to intice you, if you know what I mean.
Hope she's OK.

nm0710

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nicole
Regurge usually bobbing head, vomiting is side to side head shaking, both have food or liquid coming up. Keep an eye on her, and always trust your gut feeling
Hope she's OK.

She was bobbing her head up and down with her mouth open. I'm sitting here with her now talking to her and she's talking back and acting normal. After seeing a video of crop adjusting it looked very similar! I feel better now, I think that's all it was :)

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I'd keep an eye on her and see if she brings anything up. It sounds a bit like what my GCC did when she had a yeast infection in her crop... except she would sometimes bring up some food. It was similar to when she would regurgitate except she was not hormonal and appeared uncomfortable when she did it. I think she was going through the motions of regurgitating to empty her crop since she felt a little sick.

If it is a fungal infection, a vet visit is best, it's easily treated when caught early - early enough and you might even be able to treat it with apple cider vinegar added to her water instead of medication.