• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Someone please tell me what’s going on!

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
So I walked by Skittles and Nico’s cage earlier and noticed there was a lot of poop on the bottom perch. No worries, I thought, I’ll replace it. But as I looked closer, I noticed there was some red mixed in with it, and I got really worried; it looks like blood! I called my sister in, wanting to get her opinion on it. She looked worried, I was terrified. So I decided to wait 20 minutes for my dad to get home from work. When he did, I led him in to my room and showed him. He didn’t look worried at all, but said that it was probably just from their colorful pellets that I recently bought them. I had been feeding them Roudybush pellets, but they didn’t have that kind at the store so I got ZuPreem’s red, green, and yellow pellets for parakeets and similar sides birds. This is a very good point my dad made, but better safe than sorry!

So I want to get your opinion on it. Here’s a picture:
518F6FDD-9B53-44C1-BED2-26D13A72013B.jpeg
I know, it’s not a very pleasant picture, and I didn’t enjoy taking it, either. I would also like to say to anyone wondering, yes, it is a dowel perch. Yes, I am aware of the problems they cause, and therefore have 6 different perches placed at the top of the cage. This dowel perch was just placed at the bottom so they could fly down to it if they wanted to be down below. Once I get some more bird safe rope, however, I will wrap a dowel perch with supreme cotton rope and place it down there. This is only temporary.

But, can someone please explain to me what’s going on? I’ve never had a problem with this and I’m very worried. Has anyone else had this problem after feeding ZuPreem? Or is this health related? I really do hope it’s not the latter of the two. It is almost 7:00 PM here so a vet is not an option right now.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, I’ve had birds have rust/reddish droppings after consuming the colored Zupreem pellets.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Probably from the pellets. Continue to monitor the droppings. Stop feeding those and see what happens. Perhaps try the natural (non-colored) zupreem pellets.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Red green yellow in. Red green yellow out.

Greencheek Lee

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lee
I freaked out after pomegranates. That's ugly poo!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Ok, thanks for all the answers! I can start to calm down now. Of course, I will still pay attention to the droppings. I just couldn't take anything bad happening to my feather babies!

Last edited:

Popydoodle

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Hannah
Don’t worry Just keep monitoring it just in case but I wouldn’t stress to much. Riley has had that for a while after I started feeding her the same pellets and she’s fine. Just think, what color is your poop after eating beats? (XD i know TMI)

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
You'll notice if you ever give your bird blackberries, you'll get the most beautiful abstract art on your lampshades. Mine looked like a million dollar abstract that belong at the D'Orsay, almost Monet but not quite.

People would come over and literally say what an interesting art on the lamp shade. I finally cleaned it with a little of water, vinegar and bleach. We still crack up at the person who thought it was made by my daughter for art.