1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Someone please tell me what’s going on!

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by SquawksNibbles, 1/23/18.

1. SquawksNibbles

SquawksNibbles Sprinting down the street

Kiera
    So I walked by Skittles and Nico’s cage earlier and noticed there was a lot of poop on the bottom perch. No worries, I thought, I’ll replace it. But as I looked closer, I noticed there was some red mixed in with it, and I got really worried; it looks like blood! I called my sister in, wanting to get her opinion on it. She looked worried, I was terrified. So I decided to wait 20 minutes for my dad to get home from work. When he did, I led him in to my room and showed him. He didn’t look worried at all, but said that it was probably just from their colorful pellets that I recently bought them. I had been feeding them Roudybush pellets, but they didn’t have that kind at the store so I got ZuPreem’s red, green, and yellow pellets for parakeets and similar sides birds. This is a very good point my dad made, but better safe than sorry!

So I want to get your opinion on it. Here’s a picture:
    518F6FDD-9B53-44C1-BED2-26D13A72013B.jpeg
    I know, it’s not a very pleasant picture, and I didn’t enjoy taking it, either. I would also like to say to anyone wondering, yes, it is a dowel perch. Yes, I am aware of the problems they cause, and therefore have 6 different perches placed at the top of the cage. This dowel perch was just placed at the bottom so they could fly down to it if they wanted to be down below. Once I get some more bird safe rope, however, I will wrap a dowel perch with supreme cotton rope and place it down there. This is only temporary.

But, can someone please explain to me what’s going on? I’ve never had a problem with this and I’m very worried. Has anyone else had this problem after feeding ZuPreem? Or is this health related? I really do hope it’s not the latter of the two. It is almost 7:00 PM here so a vet is not an option right now.

2. fluffypoptarts

fluffypoptarts Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Evil Villain

Yes, I’ve had birds have rust/reddish droppings after consuming the colored Zupreem pellets.

3. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Cruising the avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Colored bird food can do that. Never fed any though.

Popydoodle and SquawksNibbles like this.
  4. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting! Evil Villain

Probably from the pellets. Continue to monitor the droppings. Stop feeding those and see what happens. Perhaps try the natural (non-colored) zupreem pellets.

5. JLcribber

JLcribber Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran Shutterbugs' Best

John
    Red green yellow in. Red green yellow out.

6. Greencheek Lee

Greencheek Lee Walking the driveway

Lee
    I freaked out after pomegranates. That's ugly poo!

7. finchly

finchly Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Vendor I Can't Stop Posting! Evil Villain

Tanya
    yep! No worries.

8. SquawksNibbles

SquawksNibbles Sprinting down the street

Kiera
    Ok, thanks for all the answers! I can start to calm down now. Of course, I will still pay attention to the droppings. I just couldn't take anything bad happening to my feather babies!

Last edited: 1/23/18
  9. Donna turner

Donna turner Sprinting down the street

Donna
    Cheeky has zupreem red poops

10. Popydoodle

Popydoodle Strolling the yard

Hannah
    Don’t worry Just keep monitoring it just in case but I wouldn’t stress to much. Riley has had that for a while after I started feeding her the same pellets and she’s fine. Just think, what color is your poop after eating beats? (XD i know TMI)

SquawksNibbles likes this.
  11. Princessbella

Princessbella Rollerblading along the road Celebirdy of the Month Evil Villain

Theresa
    It is the pellets. My first tiel ate a cranberry, pooped red and it cost me $95 in emergency vet bill to find this out.

12. Catherine89

Catherine89 Jogging around the block Evil Villain

Catherine
    Mine did the same thing. We switched them to the natural Zupreem and there dropping are the same color as the pellets.

SquawksNibbles and Popydoodle like this.
  13. Familyof12

Familyof12 Rollerblading along the road

Liz
    You'll notice if you ever give your bird blackberries, you'll get the most beautiful abstract art on your lampshades. Mine looked like a million dollar abstract that belong at the D'Orsay, almost Monet but not quite.

People would come over and literally say what an interesting art on the lamp shade. I finally cleaned it with a little of water, vinegar and bleach. We still crack up at the person who thought it was made by my daughter for art.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)