• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
So glad Hercules is better.

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Just seeing this thread. Been extremely busy lately, not much time to stroll the Avenue.

I want to thank you for posting the question of others who have had their fids sick for a day or two. Even after a year and a half, every time TD does anything different, I become a basket case. It's like you said... I just love him so much. I can't imagine life without him...at least not for 20 years or so! I'm so glad Hercules is feeling better!

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Sometimes, a bird that is sick can be off for one day but appear perfectly normal the next day. They are still sick. It wouldn't hurt to get a gram stain on Hercules to be on the safe side.

I'm treating two cockatiels right now for bacterial and fungal infections, and the sicker of the two birds is the one not showing any symptoms! Gram stain this Saturday to see how they're doing.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Thank you guys soooo much! I can't even explain how worried I was, it was making me so emotionally stressed I was feeling it physically, I felt like I was going to vomit. Was awful, the rest of the day he was back to his normal self, playing, chewing, scritches, coming when called & wanted to be on me all day like usual. I feel so very thankful!
Monica, your post is interesting & informative, makes me worried again.. it couldn't hurt to have his blood checked & I still really want a DNA. Guess I could do both at the same time. Really wish the vet could've DNA when he had his 2 blood feathers removed, they had blood & fresh feathers, but they couldn't find thier kit to do it, they said they did a DNA on a macaw a week prior & someone miss placed it. So, maybe I'll setup an appointment soon for blood work just to be safe & DNA because I really am starting to think Hercules is female. He's pretty quiet for the most part (as long as I am in sight) be nice to know for sure of his sex, so when I get another cockatiel in the future, I want the same sex, no mating or babies.

Thanks again you guys! I knew this was the place for answers. I hope you all have a fantastic feathery day & I will continue to keep you guys updated on Hercules progress!

God Bless!!!

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I would get another tiel as a companion for him. Lovies are not for everyone and they can be very aggressive and insanely jealous.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Yup, Sweet Pea has them, once in awhile. Rocky had them alot .
I use a couple of methods, 1 when put my babies to bed I sing them a bird lullabye, soft song. When they hear that song they know it ok and most of the time. 2 they have a 6 watt night light in back of their cages. I'll try to get a pic later.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
NEW UPDATE!!

Hey guys! Was hoping I could still add to the "Hercules files" so I can take you guys on another adventure! We decided it's time to add another cockatiel to the family, we have been thinking about it since I last talked to you guys & last night I talked to a very sweet woman from a craigslist ad. I am going to buy her cockatiel that she can no longer care for. I will add pictures of him/her!
I plan to get him next week so I have time to prepare for him. I am going to quarantine him in my bedroom, away from Hercules, for the first 30 days just to be safe. It will also give me time to have one on one & develop his trust. I'm going to give you guys some details about him & then I'd like to ask you guys for some advice..

New bird-
Born June 26, 2018

He/She is almost 5 months old
(Hercules will be 1yr in January)

He/She came from the same breeder I got Hercules last year

The breeder allowed the woman to take him home early and hand feed him..

He is fully flighted

He is coming in a rather small cage 18x28 is what I was told.

Says he is an extremely friendly baby bird

So now here are a few questions & any advice would be greatly appreciated!

After the 30 days of quarantine in my bedroom, what's best next step I can take to have the best odds of introducing Hercules & the new baby? I do know it's a 50/50 chance that they may bond and I would love to do everything right the first time to hopefully have the best success. I would love to eventually have them share Hercules mansion, but I am also prepared that they might never reach that point & all birds are different. When the time comes, what is the best way to introduce them & what advice can you guys give me to have the best success? I couldn't wait to get on here & ask my loyal feather loving friends for help! I really appreciate any responses I can get!

PS- Hercules is female & the woman thinks that the new bird is also female, but has no way of knowing until I have the vet DNA test. I do not want to breed, but I have done a lot of research & I think I know what to do if this baby turns out male, but hoping he will be another female so I don't have to worry. Anyways..

Here are pictures of the little cutie!
Any name suggestion? My husband likes the name pepper since he/she is white with black. So beautiful!

Also added pic of Hercules play gym, it got bigger because I can't stop adding! He loves it!!

Thanks again for any advice!

Attachments

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
What a beauty. I think the best thing is to let them see each other from across the room for a few days. And to go slowly with the introductions. And monitor any physical interaction for several weeks or longer.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
What a cutie! :xflove: I hope the meeting goes well, how exciting!:fairy2:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, little one! :)

I think Pepper is a fine name for her/him...

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Thanks you guys! Any of you have experience with introducing second tiel? Any advice would be fantastic. I got showing eachother from across the room for first few days & keep their beaks busy with treats & toys. Anything else anyone would like to add?

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Another quick question, will Hercules bond to the new bird & kick me to the curb? He is my baby & on me all day everyday, will he loose his bond with me, because that would break my heart.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Another quick question, will Hercules bond to the new bird & kick me to the curb? He is my baby & on me all day everyday, will he loose his bond with me, because that would break my heart.
Really depends on the bird. I got other 'tiels after I got Smokey but Smokey was still my buddy.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Casey is my first cockatiel. She is 17 years old. Through the years, she's seen/been with other cockatiels. She has now been around 9 other cockatiels. She's never truly bonded with any of them but she still considers them a part of her flock. Right now, it's just her and two fosters. She still comes to me for scritches, still wants to come out of her cage and explore (aka find places to nest! not that she understands what to do with the eggs once she'd laid them... she understands they are supposed to go under her... somehow... but she's never figured that part out! :lol: )

Introducing outside of cage is best.

Most cockatiels though tend to enjoy company even if they never become cage buddies.