• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Aug 8th-- Hercules needs answers, Please!

Going to try to make this short & to the point for fast answers..

Sunday Morning about 6 am Hercules got spooked in his cage, long story short.. I was able to ca him quickly by turning the lights on & uncovering his cage. He broke a couple blood feathers on his right wing. His 2 primary feathers. They stopped bleeding but I knew they had to come out & I have no experience in this. I called 8 different veterinarians & my best option was to drive an hour h a half to an avian vet that was available (it was a Sunday & had horrible luck with them being unavailable for emergency call in) I got him to the vet, he had 2 feathers pulled, they were going to do a DNA for me but couldn't find thier kit to do it? Was fine tho & they couldn't have been more wonderful. Hercules was perfectly fine up until about 3 hours ago. He's been sleeping most the day, puffed up perching with both feet, seems fatigue & doesn't want to step up or come on me, he seems a little clumsy & off. I can't find any answers online & couldn't think of what might have caused it he was his normal active self all day. Now I think I know what happened.. I am ashamed to say I think I gave him a bad batch of sprouts for dinner... ; ( I used mason jars & haven't ever had a problem, this new batch of seed I ordered "science seeds" have little pieced of dried bell pepper in it, I thought I picked it all out, but maybe I missed a few or I didn't have enough air flow in the seeds. Point is.. I didn't do the sniff check on the sprouts before I served them, I just took a whiff trying to figure out what might have caused Hercules to be acting sickly & the seeds are sour. He didn't eat many of them & is occasionally taking a break from napping to go eat some millet I gave him.

IS HE GOING TO BE OKAY & WHAT CAN I DO TO HELP HIM FEEL BETTER? Is this an emergency or will be start feeling better on his own h just have upset tummy? Do I need to get him to the vet asap or can I wait to see if he feels better by tomro?

Please help me.. I'm freaking out!

Last edited:

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
He os eating seeds & being active for about 10 min or so at a time, then goes back to perching fluffed up & sleepy. He was shivering about an hour ago. Please someone tell me if he's going to be okay * if there's anything I can do or give him to help. I have fresh peppermint, will that help his tummy? I read it's safe & even beneficial for birds, do I need to get him in emergency care or can I see how he does until tomro morning? will he start feeling better on his own after passes thru him?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Just seeing this. Sunday morning, Hercules had the spook/fright. You took him in to a vet.

He's been fine since until today, about 4+ hours ago when he hasn't been feeling as well? Is that correct? So 2 1/2 days about since the fright incident and no issues?

It's probably best not to sprout seeds that are not meant to be fed sprouted. Have you used these seeds before for sprouting?

If Hercules is sitting fluffed up, then get some heat on him. This could be warming up the house, using a heat lamp or just a light, perhaps even a heating pad. How's water consumption?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I’m sorry Hercules isn’t doing well. If he gets worse, take him to the vet tonight. Tomorrow you should bring him in first thing in the morning. Keep him warm and quiet. I don’t know about peppermint. I hope he will be okay!
:hug8:

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Thank you for responding! I have never used these seeds for sprouting before, I ordered the seed online, it's not meant for sprouting, it's supposed to be high quality cockatiel seed without sunflower seeds in it. I read reviews of people sprouting it, so I gave it a go, thinking if all the seeds are edible as is, I thought sprouting it would be a super punch of nutrition. I usually do Wheatgrass & broccoli sprouts. They are his favorite.
I always do a sniff check & rinse before giving him spouts, tonight I was in a rush h just scooped some into a clean bowl & served it. It wasn't until he was acting sickly that I tried to find a reason & smelled the sprout jar. It was spurn almost like sour yogurt smell. I've never had that before.
- So that's what leads me to believe why he isn't feeling good is sour sprouts.. and it's all my fault ; (
I feel awful & just want him to feel better, has anyone been as bad of a parront & fed thier feather babies sour sprouts & is it fatal or will he feel better soon?

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
He is still about 50% active. He is still eating his food & I have him a little millet. I have not seen him drink water for awhile, but he's still alert & active & calls when he can't see me, but he is way more skittish, things that normally wouldn't spook him, are & he doesn't want scritches & is a little clumsy. I am going to tuck him in for the night and plug his heater in so he can snuggle up to it if he wants. Just don't know how I am going to sleep tonight worried about him. Thinking of sleeping next to him tonight. Has anyone had this happen to them?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would think that if it was the sprouts, that he would not show symptoms so soon, but I’m not sure. Please don’t be so hard on yourself, and I hope the night goes well.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I can't say I've fed spoiled sprouts, I've simply tossed them and started a new batch. Sorry!

I hope Hercules feels better, and am with Tiel Feathers - if he seems to be doing worse, get him in.

Casey, my tiel, has drank oil before... which made her sick for a few days. This was many years ago though as she's 17 years old now and it was when she was young.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Thank you guys. Please say prayers for Hercules. He was excited to go to bed, sometimes he will fight it. He went straight to his heater & cuddled up. I'm hoping for the best. He was starting to perch on one foot & move around a little more, right before bedtime. Hoping he just had upset tummy & will feel better after some heat & rest. I love him so much, I feel like he is my child. I want to keep checking on him, but he gets pissed when I lift his cage cover when he's sleeping & I know it will stress him out. Wish I had a mini night vision camera setup pointing at his perch so I could see him all night without stressing him out. If he isn't better by moring, I will take him to the vet right away

Thank you for responding- this site is my everything for Hercules. Thank you!

Last edited:

Shelley#134

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Michelle
Hi there,
I have 2 cockatiels and have had them both since they were only 4 weeks old, they are now a little over 18 months old, named Agro (male) & Buzzy (female)!
Buzzy was like that, when I first got her! She would shy away & run away to hide, hiss & bite, but... I found, the more time I spent with her, the better she became. I had to spend a little bit more time training Buzzy than I did Agro! But they were both successfully tamed/trained within a month or 2, with alot of patience, and persistence!
Now....some 18 months later...Buzzy is the sweetest, cuddliest little birdie I have ever met, and I, personally, would not swap her, or her Agro for any other bird!
If you DO decide on the Cockatiel, pop it in the cage and just walk up and talk to it for the first week (don't be surprised to find it hisses &/or tries to peck or bite you) Then start taking it out of your cage, let him/her get used to the noises and surroundings.
As a first time bird owner I am really glad I bought and persisted with m cockatiels, they are fully trained,& a very friendly, loving addition to my household
I HONESTLY Believe cockatiels are the way to go...they seems very easy to tame...and once tamed, are Very affectionate!
As for the Sun Conure...Unfortunately, I can't comment as I don't know anything about that specific breed...Sorry!

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Poor Hercules. Please don’t be too hard on yourself, though. :sadhug2: Just keep an eye on him. Praying that Hercules will be okay. :sadhug:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Checking in on Hercules. Hope he is doing better.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Update- Hercules seems to be feeling much better, he came right to me when it was time to get up, he alert & active, he drank some water & had some breakfast. He is now crawling & playing on his hanging gym, chewing on his toys. He seems to be almost 100% back to his normal self. His feet were a little cold, but besides that he seems to have his strength & balance back & wanted scritches. I think he's going to be okay. Wanted to wait to post until I knew.

I was worried sick about him & I know you guys were too. Thanks again you guys!

Yay! Hercules! :fairy2:

Have any of you had a bird that wasn't feeling good for a day? Do they have sick days like we do sometimes? Just wish I knew what was the matter with him.. sprouts were only thing I could come up with..

Last edited:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
So happy Herculus is back to normal! How can they scare us!
My birds sometimes have weird things, one time Fëanor threw up several times, another time Henkie did the same, they both have had abnormal breathing twice, last time was a in the day before yesterday and they had it both At the same time. They saw the vet yesterday but nothing was wrong:)

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yay! I’m so glad Hercules is doing better! It’s so scary when our birds seem ill. Sometimes my birds have days when they are a little less active or have a few strange poops, but then they usually start acting normally soon. If not, off to the vet they go!