• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME!

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
I would love to free flight him, I've seen many larger birds free flighted, but not many cockatiels. Can you give me some advice how to free flight train him? I had him off his harness a few times before I ordered the harness & he clung to me pretty good, but one time he got spooked from a dog barking & flew over our shop & into neighbors yard. I ran to him & he came running to me thank god, after that he hasn't been out without his harness. Any advice & tips would be greatly appreciated!

My birds are free flighted and I used the aviator for a couple of them but free flight is so much better! If flight training is done correctly with excellent recall, there is no need to worry about them flying off! The main thing is to make sure the flying conditions and location is safe. If you don't want to put in the time to get them free flighted then the harness is pretty good alternative although quite a bit more restrictive!

KhanKrazy

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Ashley
I have thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread from beginning to end. It reminds me so much of my own experience with my Sun Conure when I first brought him home. I loved him before he was even mine, much like you did with Hercules. Reading this has made my missing him a little more bearable; I can't wait until we are reunited in a few more weeks. I look forward to reading more stories of you two together, hopefully for many years!

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Hey guys- time for an update & a couple questions.

Hercules is still doing awesome & I just cannot stop building him birdie gyms & toys. I just love seeing him check out new toys & explore. It's a healthy addiction
He is so darn smart & knows exactly what he wants. He is so well behaved, his flight feathers are finally growing back!

I have some questions for all of you advice -
First off, I am thinking Hercules maybe a female. He is pretty quiet. He chirps a bit & does a very loud call when I am out of sight, but besides that, he is very quiet. I have yet to do the DNA sexting. I just keep putting it off because I don't want to see him go through the stress of blood draw or a feather pluck. I know it will be a completely awful experience for him.. I also know I need to do it if I want to know if he is male/female. This leads me to my next question
-
I have seriously been thinking of adding another bird to the family once we move into our new home (still building)
It would be about a year from now. I have been researching all different types of birds that would fit with Mr. Hercules.. there are so many, but reading on, I don't want to get a bird that is more dominant than cockatiels. I looked into caiques because they are similar in size, but I read they can be very dominant to other bird species, Indian ringneck are so amazing but so much larger & I also read they might bully a small cockatiel. I even read that budgies will dominate a cockatiel because they are so fast & pushy. No I am serious thinking of a princess parrot or a lovebird. I absolutely adore the princess parrots, they are similar in size (besides their long tails) I have read if they are a baby & raised with a cockatiel, they could bind very strongly.
I think I should also add, they will be housed in separate cages & will never be out together unsupervised!

I have the bird fever & I have the time, space & I am blessed financially to add another bird to our family. I just want to make sure that whatever bird we chose, it will be a companion to Hercules as well. I don't want to add a bird that is going to dominate or bully my Hercules. Would love to get a different kind of bird, instead of another cockatiel. I would love to master another species. Hercules was a gateway addiction to feathered LOVE
Any advice would greatly be appreciated!

Here a pic 20180724_193342.jpg of Hercules new hanging play gym & toys! 20180728_010802.jpg

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Hercules is beautiful.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I just want to make sure that whatever bird we chose, it will be a companion to Hercules as well.
Then another Tiel is the right option. To have two Tiels must be awesome when you love Hercules that much?
I don't want to add a bird that is going to dominate or bully my Hercules.
Then again a Tiel is the right option. But you know they are not machines so like you and me they can fight too.
If you really really feel that you don't want another Tiel, the only bird I can think of (that also have a sweet soul) is the Bourke's parakeet.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I agree with @Eloy that another cockatiel is your best option, it’s too bad you are not interested in getting another one. Hercules looks so cute and happy! I think he would love a tiel friend, and this would be easier for you too.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I agree with the above roadies...another tiel would seem to be what you're looking for. :)

I know very little about Princess parrots..sometimes lovies can be very boisterous...Hercules might be a little intimidated with a lovie like that. ;)

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My lovies didn’t like my tiels and bullied them. My caiques flat out chase the tiels. I can’t have them out together.

A Bourke is a greaet idea. I too am a fan of Princess parakeets but I don’t know enough about them to know if that’d work.

I have 2 female tiels and absolutely adore them. One stayed up late with us and just now went to bed.

Did you do the free flight with Hercules? How do you do recall? I have taught mine ‘fly to me’ but i wouldn’t trust it outdoors. Well I taught in case they get outdoors but...wouldn’t take them out on purpose. Without a harness.

Btw not only is Hercules beautiful but I really like your clever play gym!

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
Hercules looks so sweet no doubt he would love a cockatiel friend. :angel6: His gym of toys is great!

A sweet, little lovebird may not be as sweet as you think! They choose fast who they like and they don't whether human, furred, feathered or scaled.

My IRN is a TOTAL bully even medicated! :devil:IRNs, especially females, are quite aggressive. They like things their way no matter what. If it means playing nice then biting, they will. Glenn lives to draw blood!

Don't go Sun or any Aratinga for that matter, they are loud! The only one for a conure is another conure and someone that has had conures.

Suns also have beaks big enough to maim a smaller bird. They love to wrestle and could accidentally hurt a smaller bird or just get angry and purposely bite.

Another thing, a conure is moody and clingy. All it might take for it to get jealous is if you glance at another anything.

To get him used to you physicaly put your hand in your cage 15 minutes each day
That's great advice! Most smaller birds need that!

Be your bird's friend no matter what! Don't accidentally become his pre midator by creeping around him. It may take moments; it may take months; it may take years; it may never become tame. It's not your call. Every bird is an individual.

:goodluck:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I always figured that Hercules is *most likely* female due to the mutations! ;)

If not another tiel, then bourke is indeed a good choice. Princess Parrots are actually larger than cockatiels, although not by too much. It's a small difference.

I've heard many great things about PoW's from those that have had them.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Hercules!:heart: He is such a pretty bird and sounds like such a sweet soul, I love the progress you Made with him:xflove: I would say if you won’t let them out together a lovebird could work, but lovies are generally too high energy/terretorial/fierce for a Tiel. My lovebird Henkie is a bit of a softie for a lovebird but still a lovie, he got along very well with my cockatiel but I think that is the exception. Eventually they became best friends even. I worked with them to respect Each other a lot in the beginning because Henkie would chase the cockatiel away etc. After a few years my Tiel was not afraid to tell Henkie something was his anymore, but should Henkie really want it he would get it. So it could work, but for them to be really friends I think you have to luck out. There is no way to predict what a new bird Will be like:)

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
A male English budgie might be ok with a younger tiel. Budgies are super hyper and playful, but males are usually quite gentle and friendly, just sometimes annoying to calmer birds like tiels. English budgies are calmer than the common American budgies, though. If the budgie has lots of toys and things to do, he probably won't be too much of a problem, just an 'annoying little brother', really.
Bourke's are also calm birds.
Coral-bill parakeets like princess of wales, rock pebblers, barraband parakeets, ect. are also gentle birds like tiels and might be compatible. They need a little more room than a tiel because they have very long tails and love to fly, but are about the same body size. They are often raised as aviary birds (not handfed) so it's a little harder to find handfed babies.

Also, how old is Hercules? You should be able to tell sex by markings after the first molt. Adult males will have solid coloration on the underside of the tail and flight feathers, females will have spots or stripes like a baby.

BigSkyMT

Walking the driveway
Thank you all for replying! After reading thru them all.. I think I will get another cockatiel. It would be best for Hercules & I just love everything about them. I just really don't want any mating going on, so I guess I am going to have to DNA sex Hercules, poor fella. If he is a she, do 2 females get along good & will it increase an chances of either one of them laying eggs? I read a lot of stories online of egg bound cockatiels & survival rate is low. That is what I'm most afraid of.

I have close to a year until our new house is finished & we are moved. By then I might know for sure if Hercules is a female or not & get him the same sex bird. If he is male, will 2 males get along okay? Of course they will be introduced very slowly & proper, but does anyone have experience with 2 male cockatiels bonding? And if I were to get another cockatiel & they do get along, could I eventually keep them in the same cage?

Thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate it & look forward to reading them.

Someone else asked if I free flight Hercules. I have not & am to afraid to try outside. In the house, he will come to me wherever I am, even if he has to walk half the way haha but I am to afraid outside without his harness. I was taking him outside when he was still a baby & the breeder cut us poor wings way down, so I thought he'd be fine, I was wrong. He got spooked from a dog barking & flew off my shoulder, over our shop & into the neighbors yard! It was terrifying, I ran to him & after he landed, he ran to me THANK GOD! He hasn't left the house without his harness on since. I think it's great for people who can free flight, I am just to afraid to loose my baby, but Hercules gets a little more used to his harness every time & he's been on walks, bike rides & even in the golf cart, so I make sure he gets a lot of outdoor time & sunshine (while I can, we have very short summers)

When snow does come, can I take Hercules outside on warmer days for short periods of time or will he get to chilled to easily?

Thanks again for all your advice, when I do get another bird, I will be sure to include you guys on my adventure, you didn't let me down on the first one & Hercules thanks you for it!!! ❤

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hercules is what, 8 months old now? Or just about to be? If Hercules has molted and looks the same, then you have a female. If Hercules isn't singing his heart out and doing heart wings, then you have a female. You say you don't plan on getting another bird for at least a year. That'll give Hercules at least 1-2 molts for sure, before you bring home another bird. In that time, you should be able to know for sure if Hercules is male or female. No reason to waste money on a DNA test!

It saddens me how many people think that clipped wings keep their birds safe. :( There are dangers in both sides, but many people only see the danger on one side. I think it's great that you use a harness with Hercules now. As far as trips outside in the winter? Short periods should be okay, but certainly don't want to do it for long. Birds can get frostbite, too!

Pugwinkle

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Denise
My suggestion for a bird friend for both you and Hercules would be a Lineolated Parakeet. They are beautiful with several different colors to choose from. I did a lot of research when I decided I wanted a friend for my male 10 year old cockatiel. Over his 10 years he has had two budgies and got along with both of them. Woody shared the cage with his first budgie. When that budgie died in the cage Woody was inconsolable for two days straight. He screamed bloody murder. It was awful because other than talking and doing his usual whistling during the day he is a fairly quiet bird so it was deafening when he was screaming. I quickly got him another budgie but this time I put the two cages side by side rather than having them live in the same cage. When that budgie passed away Woody wasn't as heart broken so I didn't replace the bird. Now it's been about two years and I decided to get Woody a new friend. I considered the Princess, the Bourke, or another budgie but ultimately I chose a Turquoise Linnie. He is not hand tamed so I have my work cut out for me as he is over a year old and I got him from a less than wonderful home. However, he is a very quiet bird just like Woody. He isn't always busy like a budgie and I think that once the quarantine time is over and he can move into Woody's room, the two will become fast friends. Eventually I am hoping that they can share Woody's large flight cage but if that isn't in the cards then they can live side by side in their respective cages. It willl be up to the birds to decide their living situation. Anyway, my suggestion is a Lineolated Parakeet. Check them out! You won't be disappointed. I just decided that one cockatiel was enough. The dust and dander they give off is crazy. I love Woody and wouldn't give him up for anything in this world but he will likely be my last Cockatiel.

LSA

Real Name
Leslie
So now that you're totally confused about the bird and how to live with him, are the decisions harder or easier?
Everyone has opinions in regard to species, training, wing clips, environment, etc. The only things we all agree on are that Hercules is cute and you have parronting skills. HAHA What's even better is that you will have a strong opinion/preference, too!