• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Someone needs a diet shift!

PippinConfetti

Meeting neighbors
Hello!

I've been looking at all these wonderful recipes and stuff- chop looks super awesome and it's something I'm very interested in trying!
But- how does it work? Pippin (GCC) is quite picky so far, I've offered fruits and veggies and she just seems to be into fruit, but I want her to get into veggies! Will chop be a more tasty blend she'll be into?
She loves her pellets! In the shelter she would eat the sunflower seeds out of the seed mix then just eat the pellets haha :D so pellets are not my problem.
She doesn't eat very much, which surprised me when looking at all these different food measurements, but she's not losing mass weight so it's good for her apparently!

tl;dr - help me with my picky bird! Is chop a good idea? What do you think I should try? And is there minimum food measurements I should hover around (the non percentage kind)?

Thank you all :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My green cheek ate about 1 tbsp of pellets, 1/2 tsp of seed, and 1 tbsp of fresh food a day.

Chop doesn't have to be complicated, but it should use healthful ingredients. Here's my take on it: My Chop “Recipe” – Parrot 1-2-3

Think of it this way. Are you more likely to eat a whole plate of carrots, or a salad filled with delicious things including carrots?

A lot is simply presentation, but the other factor is that a plate of just one thing is boring and doesn't invite exploration.

PippinConfetti

Meeting neighbors
My green cheek ate about 1 tbsp of pellets, 1/2 tsp of seed, and 1 tbsp of fresh food a day.

Chop doesn't have to be complicated, but it should use healthful ingredients. Here's my take on it: My Chop “Recipe” – Parrot 1-2-3

Think of it this way. Are you more likely to eat a whole plate of carrots, or a salad filled with delicious things including carrots?

A lot is simply presentation, but the other factor is that a plate of just one thing is boring and doesn't invite exploration.
Good point! Salad does sound better... haha!

Thank you :)

Chris1234

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Hi! I just made a batch this week! The basic theory is that the foods are cut up small and parts of one food with be on the other foods, so they'll eat a variety whether they realize it or not. My RB Too loves chop, but she's had it since she was a baby. She's very accustomed to trying new things. I've always "tasted" them first and make a big deal of it and say lots of "yums" and then she'll try pretty much anything. My Meyers likes raw foods best, in bigger pieces. So I have a hard time getting them to eat the same things. o_O I don't really follow a recipe, I just get a variety of parrot safe foods in all different colors. I use veggies, grains and legumes. This batch has brussels sprouts, carrots, broccoli, sweet potato, cauliflower, green pepper, zucchini,squash, wild rice, quinoa, kale, soybeans, great northern beans, whole oats, chia seeds, flax seeds, black sesame seeds, corn and green beans. I also added Herb Salad mix which has over 20 different dried flowers and herbs.

Maybe start of making individual servings so you can see her preferences (tiny pieces, versus larger ones, raw versus slightly steamed) and then make a larger/freezable batch once you know what she likes. Our Meyers isn't a huge fan of chop and LOVES her fruit also, but I keep offering veggies from my salad, sprouts, chop and even now parrot tea and she's slowly eating more of a variety (I should mention they both have access to pellets daily as well). Good luck on your chop adventure! Let us know how it goes! View attachment 254943

Attachments

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
i put the sprouts,veggies, and fruit on top. They have to dig through to get to the seeds and pellets at the bottom.

I sometimes wonder if the birds that don't like veggies or chop are under the proper lighting? It is my understanding that birds don't see well in low-light interior situations that we do fine in. Maybe the food just doesn't look appealing to them.