• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Somebunny is having babies in the next couple days

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yep... the resident rabbit in our yard is making preparations. This morning when I went out to the back yard with one of the dogs I saw her about 40 feet away and I couldn't be sure what she had in her mouth ( no glasses on).. until I saw her pulling wads of grass. I looked away for just a second and the next she was gone. I had a suspicion where she went and found out the next trip out with the other dog. She was back to the same spot pulling more grass, not caring that I was watching or that there was a dog either, she got her bunch and leaped into the thick Asian ivy behind the back of the house. A minute later she popped back out for more. She's been a busy critter this year! I saw her nursing babies out in the open one evening at dusk in the front side yard weeks back. That was the only time I saw those babies. I had no idea what she was doing then, thought she was chewing on paper because I saw something white. I walked over towards her because it was dark enough to not see well and when I got within fifteen feet of her I stopped and saw the babies on their backs under her nursing and left so she would not run. Then, maybe 4-5 weeks ago I saw a tiny baby just outside the edge of the Asian ivy.. maybe 5-6 weeks old. Never saw it again. It wouldn't have been one of the babies I saw in the front because it was too little. Aaah... more babies! No wonder our grass has a lot of empty areas this year. I tell her to eat the neighbors grass but she doesn't listen~ Probably should give her a name. She's lived around our house for a year and has no fear of us or the dogs.

I took this photo of her July 20th... in the grass next to my car.
P1010154.JPG

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Raphi
That’s so cute! If you see the baby’s please take pictures for us :heart:.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
More babies!!! Hopefully this time you will manage to sneak a pic of them.

She looks so cozy there :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Awww she´s lovely! I love baby bunnies too, I hope you are able to spot them :)

I tell her to eat the neighbors grass but she doesn't listen
I´m sure you did! :muahaha: :lol:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Awww she´s lovely! I love baby bunnies too, I hope you are able to spot them :)

I´m sure you did! :muahaha: :lol:
I found babies a couple years ago in one of my planter boxes in front of the house. How I managed to miss that nest is beyond me. My sister was visiting and we were outside working on a couple of metal projects and I went to turn the faucet on and a tiny bit of hair caught my eye. I started to inspect it and then recognized the rabbit fur. I used to raise rabbits a long time ago. I pulled the leaves and fur back and peeked at the babies with their little eyes closed and then covered them back up. I spied on Momma through the front windows when I would see her on the front walk... she would wait cautiously before jumping into the planter to take care of her babies. They love having their babies here!!!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
We currently have 4 baby bunnies (2 litters ) in our yard . They are darn cute but the rabbits in general, I’m sorry to say I feel less than hospitable toward them. They eat my plants!

Recently I potted a parrots beak plant, put it on a child-size chair in the yard with stuff around it so they couldn’t reach it I thought.

They ate it.

Also bought marigolds since they supposedly deter rabbits.

They ate them.

And on & on. We had coyotes in the area that controlled the population but people whined so they were relocated.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I potted a parrots beak plant,
I had never heard of this so I had to google it, Wow! That is one cool plant!! How unfortunate that they destroyed it :(

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
We currently have 4 baby bunnies (2 litters ) in our yard . They are darn cute but the rabbits in general, I’m sorry to say I feel less than hospitable toward them. They eat my plants!

Recently I potted a parrots beak plant, put it on a child-size chair in the yard with stuff around it so they couldn’t reach it I thought.

They ate it.

Also bought marigolds since they supposedly deter rabbits.

They ate them.

And on & on. We had coyotes in the area that controlled the population but people whined so they were relocated.
Yes... they are cute but given how they travel the yards they also bring in fleas and leave their 'evidence" of what they eat. Fortunately these two dogs I have now aren't interested in eating the bunny nuggets like my previous dogs were. I pick it up while I'm scooping dog poo just so it isn't sitting in the yard. When bunny poo gets damp it grows mold and I don't want that on the feet of my dogs. I have to wear my reading glasses to see it... picture me all hunched over scanning the yard...

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sounds like quite the job! That would drive me insane searching for mini poops!
Ugh... like I neeed one more poop job! I haven't seen momma rabbit for two days. I'm sure she is either laying low in the thick ivy or staying with a new litter of babies!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
At least the cuteness makes up for extra poop duty :)

Hopefully she is safe