• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Somebirdie at the door

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Or should I say on the window still above the door. A mourning dove decided to make her nest right above our front door. She's been there for about a week. I was worried she might get spook by the mailman or my dog. But she's settling in quite nicely and no longer fly away when someone comes to the door :) I got a few pictures of her but they're not the best quality
20170508_175119.jpg 20170508_185240.jpg 20170508_185306.jpg

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Awesome! A pair of barn swallows made a mud/spit nest on my grandmother's porch and nested there for years until she sold the house. I don't know what the new owner did with the nest. One of the adults would sleep with the babies while the other one sat watch on top of the hanging porch light. They would do their low-flying harassment dance when anybody but my family walked by. They trusted us and would not fly away when we walked past.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
What a cutie! They get used to the traffic and if she is willing to build the nest there then she will probably stay there.

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
She has a baby now :) I've got a picture but it's not very good. If you squint and use your imagination you might be able to see the baby sitting right in front of her. Or maybe not. 20170529_190458.jpg

the baby is the little unfocused blob in front of her

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awe, how sweet. I just love the doves. They're my favorite.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Mourning doves have such a lovely call. It's so great being able to watch nature like this.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
I've always loved doves. Their nests are always so sparse but they are so cute. Lucky that you get to observe their little family grow.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I just love that both Doves and Swallows build nest so close to us humans. They say that they do that because they trust us and that other birds are afraid of us and that's why they can have their nest alone. That's really smart. :)