• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some Questions About Indian Ringnecks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielle56

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danielle
Hello! I'm getting a bird very soon and at first I was really considering a Green Cheek Conure, but I have discovered Indian Ringnecks and fell in love and I just wanted to know the pros and cons of each bird. I live in a twin house so I do have neighbors next door which is why I was considering a Green Cheek because they are relatively quite, so how loud are Ringnecks generally? Also what would be the minimum cage size for each bird? Another thing is that the place I'm going to get the bird from always has baby Green Cheeks they are hand feeding and if I were to get it I would continue feeding it and so it would be more bonded with me (hopefully), but they only have adult Ringnecks. Would this make a difference in how the bird is bonded with me? Thanks!

penguin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Bumping this so others with IRNs and GCCs see it. I personally would NOT buy an unweaned bird. There's too much that could go wrong and end up hurting or killing the chick.

DeeDeeeeee

Strolling the yard
IMG_20111002_122413.jpg
Hello! I'm getting a bird very soon and at first I was really considering a Green Cheek Conure, but I have discovered Indian Ringnecks and fell in love and I just wanted to know the pros and cons of each bird. I live in a twin house so I do have neighbors next door which is why I was considering a Green Cheek because they are relatively quite, so how loud are Ringnecks generally? Also what would be the minimum cage size for each bird? Another thing is that the place I'm going to get the bird from always has baby Green Cheeks they are hand feeding and if I were to get it I would continue feeding it and so it would be more bonded with me (hopefully), but they only have adult Ringnecks. Would this make a difference in how the bird is bonded with me? Thanks!
I have two indian ringnecks and two conures including a green cheek, you may have heard this before but noise all depends in the bird really. One of my ringnecks is really quiet and the other one really loud makes more noise than all my others. My green cheek is louder than tweety but less loud than snow.

I recommend the biggest cage you can afford since is a lifetime investment all my birds have a same size cage (see attachement, that's when I had just gotten the cage it was bare but now full of toys n perches I rotate all the time) and they really dont like to be in it. Playtops are nice.

Is this your first bird? I would recommend the baby green cheek to an adult ringneck, they are definetely more playful, curious and cuddly than indian ringnecks wich are quite independant. My green cheek is definetely bonded to me but he is also friends with tweety the ringneck.

My ringnecks are very sweet birds they enjoy my company and tweety enjoys cuddles and to sit on my shoulder and be talked to and trained for treats, very smart, but not nearly as cuddly or active and curious as the green cheek.

Just make sure you keep your bird busy. Big cage and buy or make your own pvc playstands. Lot of out of cage time. Mine are only caged at night , but that is because I have a room just for them. Making your own toys also save lots of money in the long run.

Last edited:

DeeDeeeeee

Strolling the yard
i also agree that you absolutely NOT BUY an unweaned baby. unless you have been breeding and feeding baby birds yourself.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
One thing to remember regarding babies - babies are hard wired to leave their parents and find their own family (one of nature's weapons against inbreeding :p) I have no real proof but in my opinion the person who acts most like a parent when they are quite young is less likely to be the "favorite" especially at maturity. My baby Jingo left me for my husband even though we were with each other all the time. This theory is the only way I've been able to explain his behavior as he's gotten older. An adult bird you also have a better idea of what the birds true personality is. Just as we are not the same person that we were when we were children, so is true of our feathered friends.

I absolutely adore my green cheek, she is the light of my life :)

Danielle56

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danielle
Thanks everybody! And no this isn't my first bird, I currently have two Fischer's Lovebirds. The baby green cheeks that the place has are older, and almost weaned so I think I may be leaning towards one of them. They also have adult green cheeks, but they are very scared. My main concern was the noise level of possibly getting an indian ringneck, but since it does really depend on the bird I guess we'll see!

DeeDeeeeee

Strolling the yard
Thanks everybody! And no this isn't my first bird, I currently have two Fischer's Lovebirds. The baby green cheeks that the place has are older, and almost weaned so I think I may be leaning towards one of them. They also have adult green cheeks, but they are very scared. My main concern was the noise level of possibly getting an indian ringneck, but since it does really depend on the bird I guess we'll see!
I would say in general ringnecks are can be much louder. Their squaks are no joke.

DeeDeeeeee

Strolling the yard
and as long as you keep you gcc busy and give him lots of time he should be quiet. also socialize him really well with all people in the family.

Brooke

Real Name
Brooke
I would say in general ringnecks are can be much louder. Their squaks are no joke.
Yeah, I haven't had my IRN for long and his squeaks and squawks are quite loud, i'm pretty sure he's not cut for the apartment lifestyle :p

Jacob2112

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jacob
I think is better whet they are baby. And you mold the bird eseylly adult bird are rare to become bonded

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I think is better whet they are baby. And you mold the bird eseylly adult bird are rare to become bonded
I would really talk to many of the people on this forum who have birds that were older rehomes and are very much bonded to their humans :)

Danielle56

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danielle
Thanks for the help everybody! I think I'm definitely going to get a gcc. So hopefully within the next couple of weeks I will have my new feathered friend! :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thanks for the help everybody! I think I'm definitely going to get a gcc. So hopefully within the next couple of weeks I will have my new feathered friend! :)
Greenies make such WONDERFUL pets, I'm so happy for you!

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Woot,that's so exciting! You will love being owned by a Greenie,there is nothing quite like them.

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
I have a parrot I raised from day one and it is still bonded to me. I think it depends on the bird and not an absolute that is wont stay bonded to you. So if you want that little GCC I say go for it.

myrka2004

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Marina
Yeah, I haven't had my IRN for long and his squeaks and squawks are quite loud, i'm pretty sure he's not cut for the apartment lifestyle :p
I have 2 IRN's and one Alexandrine in apartment:p , yes they some times can be loud, but not all the times ...and my neighbors never say me anything as our building alow to have a pets.

Status
Not open for further replies.