• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some progress made!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
The past week or so Kumo has been amazing with taking bites from spray millet from my hand and will even start walking towards me before I can even open the cage door. :joyful:
It's amazing what just time, patience and of course millet can bring.

Because of his building confidence and trust, I decided to offer some seed in my palm today. After some alarm chirps, and a lot of apprehension; he put his tiny beak on my hand for just a second before moving away. :cheer:
He didn't take a bite of the seed but I'm still overjoyed!
I of course rewarding the little powder-puff with a few more bites of millet after.

So proud my little boy.:loveshower:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yay Kumo! It's so wonderful when your patience finally pays off. :dance4::dance4::dance4:

LittleBirdies

Sprinting down the street
Wohoo! That's awesome! I hope he keeps getting more comfortable with you!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Guys I'm so smitten with this little one, head over heels for sure. :heart2:

Tonight he made even more progress, and can now comfortably take seed, pellets and millet from my palm, through cage bars etc.

There's such a joy from taking a scared, fearful bird and letting them realize they're safe and once they finally begin to trust - it's so amazing! :loveshower:

May have taken too many pictures, but the little tyke didn't seem to mind. He's building such confidence - it makes me so happy!

Kumo montage:
He finally ate from my palm!
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
Then the little cutie kept coming up to the front still(which I am overjoyed about, such a confident boy he's become!) so I let him have a couple more nibbles before bed.
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
:swoon:
Bonus: Yuka stole the millet when I offered a bite for her! Had to coax her with a sunflower seed to let go of the sprig. :D
image.jpeg

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:congrats5:Oh, what some of them will do for millet!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Tonight a certain little powder puff put his tiny foot on my hand to get better access to the pellets on my palm, I keep getting surprised by this boy! :wideyed:
He even let me pet his beak a little while he was nibbling on my finger, and for a slight moment let me pet his cheek softly. :xflove: The love for this little guy keeps deepening.

I'm sure it'll only be a matter of time before he's more comfortable with my hand and being on it, after that it's on to step-up training! :joyful:

Last edited:

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
So happy for you both! It is such a wonderful feeling realising you've begun to gain the trust of something so intelligent, intricate and fragile ( the latter when compared to us...and perhaps the first two also!!!)

I laugh at the comment "what some will do for millet". Soooo true!!!

Maxsmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Huge step! Congrats :pinklol3:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
He stepped fully onto my hand today, so proud. :heart:
After he was finished with the pellets, he curiously explored my hand moving from finger to finger and even let me slowly move my hand up after so he could get back onto a perch.

I think step up training, which no doubt will take some time, is going to be a breeze with this bold little man. :joyful:

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw! Very cool!
:dance4::dance4::dance4: