• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some people just shouldn't own pets :/

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
This girl that I know, had a cat, that somehow got a foot injury, she goes on Facebook seeking home remedies for a problem that obviously needs antibiotics, which people tell her. It takes her one week to take her poor cat to the vet, in which time the infection has gotten worse, and of course she had to pay a higher vet bill. Now the cats foot wasn't clearing up, and so she had to take him back, sometime later she posted on Facebook on how she couldn't afford the vet bill to fix him, and opted instead to euthanize him.... Many people were pretty upset she did that, she could have a the very least surrendered him to to a rescue, but nope. Then get this, not 2 weeks later, she's asking people what new phone she should get, because she was going to pick up a new phone the next day,I went online to where she would have been buying these phones, one was 800$ plus plan and the other was 850$ plus plan. Some people, need a smack upside the head, and should never own pets. He was only 3 years old :( RIP little kitty.

Kellie728

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
I completely agree. If you can't afford to take care of an animal you shouldn't have one. Or if you aren't willing to take care of it, in her case.

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
This type of thing happens all too often, people think animals are easy to keep and their pet will never need vet care. Until something goes wrong and they figure its just a cat, budgie, gerbil, fish. If it dies, I will get another one. No Biggy.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
It drives me nuts, it honestly does. These animals look up to you, you are their world, their caretaker, and yet, people treat them like, "oh well it's just an animal" makes me furious. I live in an area loaded with hawks, someone down the street obviously hasn't learnt their lesson to keep their cats inside, In a span of 6 years, all four if their cats got attacked and killed by hawks, my mom has even talked to the man, telling him to keep his cats inside, but NOPE, as soon as one gets killed by a hawk, he gets a new cat in the following weeks. UGH.

Last edited:

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Twice people witness the attack, once it was the daughter, saw her cat Jimmy get taken from across the street, another time it was someone walking their dog, saw the hawk attack the cat Buster near the forest down my street, the other times one cat was found on someone's shed, Lazy, and last winter another cat was found in a tree :/ his name was Zack

Mr Peepers

Cruising the avenue
Yesterday I was at a store I shop at frequently I know one of the cashiers there because we often bump into each other at a local pet shop where we buy things needed for our birds. She had a cockatiel and knew I had a canary and a budgie, I asked her how her cockatiel was, she said oh he died. I asked her what happened as the bird was less than 2 years old.. she said I don't know I just found him dead in his cage he had been sleeping a lot lately. o_O

I asked her if she took him to a vet to get checked to see what was wrong, she said, "no our people don't take our birds to vets we know what to do for them." (she's Brazilian)

Apparently some people in Brazil think birds are throw away pets, they don't have to do much with regards to feeding it other then some seeds maybe some fruit or veg. If it lives good if it dies oh well. I'll get a new one. Ivermectin? What's that?

Throw away pets. This just infuriates me. :mad:

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Sad, people seem to think small pets are throw away pets :( Even fish, when I was working at a pet store, someone came in asking to buy goldfish, and that the place he was getting them were
Always sick and died in the months he had them. Curious, I asked in what conditions he kept the fish, he told me in a fish bowl, and only changed
The water when he thought it looked dirty facepalm. I then told him that goldfish need at least 20 gallons of water, per fish, and goldfish need a powerful filter because they are messy fish, under right conditions goldfish can live 10-15 years (fancy goldfish live less but still a good 5-8 years)and that they need water conditioner to balance out the water, he just looked at me like I was crazy. *Sigh*

Kellie728

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kellie
no our people don't take our birds to vets we know what to do for them."
Well, obviously they don't know what to do for them or the bird wouldn't have died. :confused:

under right conditions goldfish can live 10-15 years
I had a fancy goldfish that lived about 10 years. I didn't have him in a big enough tank honestly, but i must have done something right.

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
Fancy goldfish don't need as much space as comet goldfish :) with Fancies you can get away with 10 gallons or so :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
10 gallons is tiny. I had some bubble eyed and the brain fancy fish that grew 9" in length and were huge. Not sure if they would have been happy in a 10gallon. They seemed OK in a 29g, but I still felt it was too small for such big fish. Hard to keep clean, too.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I asked her if she took him to a vet to get checked to see what was wrong, she said, "no our people don't take our birds to vets we know what to do for them." (she's Brazilian)

Apparently some people in Brazil think birds are throw away pets, they don't have to do much with regards to feeding it other then some seeds maybe some fruit or veg. If it lives good if it dies oh well. I'll get a new one. Ivermectin? What's that?.

Unfortunately, some people feel that way about their pets everywhere. There may not be many in a given area, but they are around. It is not something that is specific to a certain ethnic group of people.

Matt

Ocean

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
That's why 20 gallons+ is truly recommend. When people came to buy fish at the store I worked at, if they wanted goldfish, I told them anything under 20 gallons is too small for these types of fish.

Loppy

Real Name
Jen
Throw away pets. This just infuriates me. :mad:

It infuriates me, too. While I admit that my parents and I didn't know everything we should have when we had our Budgies, they certainly weren't "throw away pets" to us. (I know more about keeping birds now than I did back then, that's for sure.) They were part of our household, were played with, read to (by me), given plenty of flight time, and they amused us to no end. The same went for Misty, my first cat, and the same goes for Acorn. They're part of our family. No pet should be treated as a throw away pet; they deserve a whole lot more.

MyAussieFriends

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Alyssa
I knew a girl who bought brother and sister kittens. Once they got a bit older, they had kittens.

To prevent future kittens, she had the male put down. Apparently it was more humane to just euthanize him than to get him neutered or rehome the cats.

I don't associate with that cow any more.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Sad, people seem to think small pets are throw away pets :( Even fish, when I was working at a pet store, someone came in asking to buy goldfish, and that the place he was getting them were
Always sick and died in the months he had them. Curious, I asked in what conditions he kept the fish, he told me in a fish bowl, and only changed
The water when he thought it looked dirty facepalm. I then told him that goldfish need at least 20 gallons of water, per fish, and goldfish need a powerful filter because they are messy fish, under right conditions goldfish can live 10-15 years (fancy goldfish live less but still a good 5-8 years)and that they need water conditioner to balance out the water, he just looked at me like I was crazy. *Sigh*
Smartass reply: Well as a human, you only need so much oxygen at a time. I'd suggest you put a plastic bag over your head and save the rest of us the misery of listening to someone who is too stupid and is a waste air.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hubby says "you can't fix stupid".

For so many others who have commented - I know that probably many of us grew up with parents/grandparents who viewed what we now call companion creatures as pets. Though many of our adults at the time thought they were taking care of their pets the right way by today's standards they weren't. We've all been ignorant of the "how to"'s at one time or another, however, some of us have learned and moved forward. Others on the other hand, haven't.

Some of it is due to a generation mind set which will never change until that generation is gone. I am generalizing because there are always people who can and do change. Some of it is also how any creature other than family members rate for a family. I love my OH dearly but there have been times when he's questioned my taking a fid to the vet but he realized a long time ago that I don't back down. What I'd do for my fids I'd do for anyone in my family or friends.

To quote tom Petty:

Well, I won't back down
No, I won't back down
You can stand me up at the gates of hell
But I won't back down

No, I'll stand my ground, won't be turned around
And I'll keep this world from draggin' me down
Gonna stand my ground and I won't back down

(I won't back down)
Hey baby, there ain't no easy way out
(I won't back down)
Hey, I will stand my ground and I won't back down

Well, I know what's right, I got just one life
In a world that keeps on pushin' me around
But I'll stand my ground and I won't back down

(I won't back down)
(I won't back down)
Hey, I will stand my ground
(I won't back down)
And I won't back down

(I won't back down)
(I won't back down)
Hey, I won't back down

(I won't back down)
(I won't back down)
Hey, I will stand my ground
(I won't back down)
And I won't back down
(I won't back down)
No, I won't back down

Songwriters: Lynne, Jeff / Petty, Tom
I Won't Back Down lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC, Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Sad, people seem to think small pets are throw away pets :(
I have seen some people who think the larger pets like dogs, cats, and large birds are also "throw away pets"..
Because apparently to them "they're just animals" "they aren't intelligent" "they don't do anything but get in the way/bark/make a mess/etc"....
And this is why i don't have many friends, like i said in another thread.
If they can't respect the other living beings on this planet they don't need my friendship.

To clarify any confusion that may happen- i'm not a vegetarian. I like meat.
A lot of people i have met assumed i am a vegetarian when i am not. My parents buy non-gmo, free range, grass fed meat & poultry.
I know it still kills the animals in the end, but at least they had a good life while they were alive.

Wulfgeist

Strolling the yard
Some of those stories kill me but sadly I know people like that. People who can blow their whole income tax refund on new computer rigs for the whole family yet not get caught up on the money they owe the landlord or heaven forbid take their poor cat to the vet who clearly has some tooth issues as he screams cries and yeowls every time he tries to eat.

And as far as the fish I agree there too. I've kept fish and small pets from a young age but wouldn't call myself an expert but for 6+ years I was department manger of pets at a Walmart and my fish delivery lady was one of those rare people who actually loved her job, loved animals and cared. She taught me *so* much over the years but one thing she didn't teach that only common sense (which these kinds of folks clearly don't have) is nearly everyone overfeeds. People are dumb.