• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some of My Scalekids

Status
Not open for further replies.

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
Well, in my intro post, I said that I breed ball pythons and I was invited to share some pictures of some of mine. I see a few other people that I know from a ball python related forum are also members here - so for them, some of these won't be new to them!

This is Winston, my breeder male lemon pastel:

And his daughter Libra:

This is Murphy, my breeder male mojave:

And Paxton my black back lesser platinum - he's still a baby:

My new yellowbelly female who doesn't have a name yet:

Gracie, my pinstripe female:

My four spiders:

Tonka:

His 1/2 brother Tonka Too:

Tonka's full sisters Willow and Storm (Willow's on top):

My black pastel female - who doesn't have a name yet:

And some non-ball pythons.

Skittles, my albino striped California kingsnake:

A new female abberant cali king - Starburst:

And a new species at "The Nest" (my website is Robin's Nest Reptiles), two black milksnakes that as they grow will lose their banded colors and become jet black snakes.

Onyx - female black milksnake:

Jett - male black milksnake:

I do have some others - all normals, but will be happy to share pictures of some of them if people want to see them! :D

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
gosh look at them..they are absolutely gorgeous..wow

Ashley

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
they are cute from a far...I am terrified of snakes lol

Birdlover

Avian Addiction!
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
They are all amazing but I especially like Paxton. Stunning!!

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Those are the most beautiful snakes I have seen! Thank you for sharing the pictures.:)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
What gorgeous patterns!!

Skittles is superb!! :dance4:

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
:omg::omg::omg::omg:

I found a @12" snake in the road the other day (while I was running) and I almost had a stroke!!

This snake would be the end of me, I think!! :huh:

Are they good pets?

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
:omg::omg::omg::omg:

I found a @12" snake in the road the other day (while I was running) and I almost had a stroke!!

This snake would be the end of me, I think!! :huh:

Are they good pets?
They're awesome, low maintenance pets. You'd be surprised how many people get a ball python as a pet to get over their fear of snakes - and then end up with more than once, because they became so enchanted.

They are a very docile python, preferring to ball up, rather than strike out defensively when threatened (how they got their name).

Because they are a bulkier snake than say a cornsnake, they move rather casually when you are holding them - I find my handling sessions to be quite relaxing!

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
They're awesome, low maintenance pets. You'd be surprised how many people get a ball python as a pet to get over their fear of snakes - and then end up with more than once, because they became so enchanted.

They are a very docile python, preferring to ball up, rather than strike out defensively when threatened (how they got their name).

Because they are a bulkier snake than say a cornsnake, they move rather casually when you are holding them - I find my handling sessions to be quite relaxing!
Wow, cool! I've held a snake before (a LONG time ago). Seemed to remember that it was slow moving like you described. Are they "emotional" pets? I mean, can you tell if they like you or not? If they are happy or not?

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
they are cute from a far...I am terrified of snakes lol
Aww, I'm sorry that you are terrified of them. At least with ball pythons, they are very NON-threatening animals!

Very nice snakes! The black back lesser is particularly stunning!
Thank you - I saw his picture the day that he hatched and knew I had to have him!

They are all amazing but I especially like Paxton. Stunning!!
Thanks! Paxton is a sweetheart! You know he's a good example of his mutation when a large scaled breeder grabs him out of your hands and exclaims - WHERE did you get him? :lol:

Those are the most beautiful snakes I have seen! Thank you for sharing the pictures.:)
Thank you - that's quite a compliment!

What gorgeous patterns!!

Skittles is superb!! :dance4:
Thank you! Skittles is a cali king ambassador. He's been the catalyst for several of my friends getting an albino cali king because he charmed them so!

Very small world! Nice collection! :)
Hi Deb! Nice to see you here too! :D

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
Wow, cool! I've held a snake before (a LONG time ago). Seemed to remember that it was slow moving like you described. Are they "emotional" pets? I mean, can you tell if they like you or not? If they are happy or not?
There's quite the debate on that on my ball python forum. We have a poll that is "Does your snake love you?"

No - I don't think that they love the same way that we do, or even our furkids do. I do think that they learn who is confident with them and behave in such a way - ie, don't try to escape from them, are willing to "chill out" with them, etc.

We measure "happiness" by their willingness to eat and breed (if you decide to breed). An unhappy ball python is known to refuse food. There are other factors that can lead to a fast, but 90% of the time, it's husbandry related.

You only have to feed them once a week and generally clean their enclosure once a week. They don't become less "tame" if you go for weeks without handling them - but it's hard for those of us who love them to go that long! And it doesn't mean that I don't tell each of them that I love them - but those of us who share our lives with them are willing to love them on their terms (ie, knowing that they likely don't "love" us back).

Last edited:

Sarin

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Very gorgeous collection Robin.. I am so envious. I only have 2 right now but plan on expanding once I purchase a house of my own within the next year.

Such great creatures and I am in awe everytime I see them. Never get tired of them. :)

You really explained that well, too. I 100% agree.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Your snakes are beautiful! When did you start your love of reptiles?

Brigidt36

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Wow, that's a lot of snakes! How beautiful they are! Thanks for sharing.

Nailrep

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Cindy
There's quite the debate on that on my ball python forum. We have a poll that is "Does your snake love you?"

No - I don't think that they love the same way that we do, or even our furkids do. I do think that they learn who is confident with them and behave in such a way - ie, don't try to escape from them, are willing to "chill out" with them, etc.

We measure "happiness" by their willingness to eat and breed (if you decide to breed). An unhappy ball python is known to refuse food. There are other factors that can lead to a fast, but 90% of the time, it's husbandry related.

You only have to feed them once a week and generally clean their enclosure once a week. They don't become less "tame" if you go for weeks without handling them - but it's hard for those of us who love them to go that long! And it doesn't mean that I don't tell each of them that I love them - but those of us who share our lives with them are willing to love them on their terms (ie, knowing that they likely don't "love" us back).
Thanks for the information. I have always been curious, but know of very few people who own them!

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
Very gorgeous collection Robin.. I am so envious. I only have 2 right now but plan on expanding once I purchase a house of my own within the next year.

Such great creatures and I am in awe everytime I see them. Never get tired of them. :)

You really explained that well, too. I 100% agree.
Thanks Sarin! I thought you had more for some reason!

Your snakes are beautiful! When did you start your love of reptiles?
I've always loved reptiles, but I didn't get my first ball python until five years ago. Much like birds, ball pythons are like potato chips - you can't have just one!

Wow, that's a lot of snakes! How beautiful they are! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you so much! That's not even most of them - I have about 50 of them in my collection.

rabernet

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Robin Abernethy
Here's a few of my "normals". That means that they are the natural coloration, and not a pattern or color mutation (we refer to those as morphs).

Bailee

Bindi

Echo (posing as a Valentine)

Hannah (mom to the spiders)

J-Lo

Kelly

Mackenzie

Monica

Pretzel

Pickle

Reese

Sophie

Sierra

And here are a few shoots from their modeling debut!

Status
Not open for further replies.