• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Some fish tank updates

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
So I've done some stuff since the last time I posted about my fish here.

I'm now at 3 tanks- 2 10s and the 40B.

One 10g has 3 glofish (as before) and I moved the pygmy cories from a different 10g into there.

The 2nd 10g is empty except for snails (Malaysian trumpet and ramshorn) And the reason why is...

I moved all my platies to the 40!

So in the 40 I have a pearl gourami, the upside down catfish, the tiger barbs (a small group) and the platies. They were kind of confused at first, a bit scared, but now they're very happy. The barbs and platies are all harmonious.

My last 2 mystery snails died, so that sucks. Maybe one day I'll get more.

I think my next venture might be trying to selectively breed the pink ramshorns- some have showed up among my populations. I think they look neat.

I'd also like to see about maybe getting some blue mickey mouse platies... The zoo near me has some in a community tank and they look so cool!

So that's where we're at currently!

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:fairy2:I like the tranquility of fishes but not in for the water change right now & space demands. I have to try to simplify my life & I have a garden & 2 parrots

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
:fairy2:I like the tranquility of fishes but not in for the water change right now & space demands. I have to try to simplify my life & I have a garden & 2 parrots
It's definitely a lot of work. Can be very stressful at times. Apparently, the larger tanks are much easier, since it's easier to keep stable and they can handle more. But the 40 is the largest I can manage, and I don't even want to think about doing waterchanges any bigger than I already do... We did a 50% water change recently because the 40 was cloudy, and my dad and I had to team up to haul buckets back and forth. Ugh. My arms should be buff by now!:hehe:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Okay, so I have more ideas!

So I have 2 10s up right now. I'm gonna break down one and clean out the other and move the fish from the one into the other.

I have 2 stands for the 10s, one is particle board and the other is metal. The cleaned tank that will have glofish will be on the nice metal stand (currently on the particle board stand) and the tank with the snails will be broken down. I'm gonna take the particle board stand and put a towel on the top and use it like a table for my fish stuff, since I really don't like the idea of putting another tank on it.

And I have a 5g set up- I think that will be my breeding grounds for the ramshorns. So if I get fed up I can just control the population more easily.

Thoughts? Ideas?

(@finchly fish stuff!!)

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If yo have good filtration and the tanks aren't overstocked, then water changes can be as easy as 20-30% on a fish tank. If you have a python with a long hose attachment, it makes water chances even easier! (as long as you can attach one end to a sink faucet) That is, assuming your water source is good for your tanks.

I think you should breed blue rams! ;)