• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Solar eclipse bird tips All bird owners must do this.

BudgieMom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Montana
Hello, there is going to be Solar eclipse on the 21st please don't place your birds in the window near the sun because if they look at it they can get there eyes hurt or become blind, instead cover them!

- Best wishes budgiemom

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I didn't even think about that. Thank you for posting. I will keep the blinds down till it passes.

NK_717

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I don't think they normally look at the sun though, do they? Even just looking at the sun without an eclipse is harmful.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Sometimes when the sun goes down and Blu and I sit in the window he looks right at it.

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
Thanks! Also keep any other per indoors not just birds!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Good information!

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
This is false information that is going around the internet. Birds (or any of your pets) are in no more danger of going blind or damaging their eyes than on any given day. The sun is no brighter.

This information is coming from the idea that us humans may be staring at the sun for too long during the eclipse trying to watch it, thus potentially damaging our eyes.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I agree with Emily on this one... for the most part. Lots of hysteria over people's pets and I've seen this warning going around especially towards dogs. I have had to laugh at that one, the only time I've ever had a dog look up either a low flying bird or a loud plane. Only reason a dog might look up is to see what all the people are looking at, see "nothing" get bored and stop.

But... I would actually want to take some extra caution with birds on this one personally.
I have no idea if the moon s l o w l y moving in front of the sun is enough movement to make a bird suspicious but we all know how they can key in on things in the sky as an instinctive response to predatory birds. Would an eclipse trigger the same "what is that!?" response and cause them to watch it in self defense? No idea, probably not, but if I were anywhere remotely near the path of this thing I'd move a bird away from the window for a few minutes or supervise them to make sure they aren't watching.
No harm in being weird and overly paranoid in this instance to protect out little ones. Or at least I'll keep telling myself that since I'm a mamma bear. ;)

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm a little nervous guys. I am keeping my blinds down for Blu but I have to be outdoors walking dogs all day and the height of the eclipse is my busiest time of day. I know they say animals are not interested in looking at the sun but I walk a couple of dogs who are squirrel obsessed and they look up at trees all the time. Do I only need to worry about the 2.5 minutes that the sun is covered or what? I wish I had those special glasses. I notice the sun is brighter than normal already and my paranoia is making my eyes hurt already. Lol.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
The family room has really thick tall shrubs/hedge along the side that the bird cages are on and we have a couple of huge trees in the back garden and around the side so I don't think mine will be at risk. The house faces South so the only room with a clear view of sky is the front room which has windows facing East and South. And that's only sunny until midday or so due to the very large tree in the front garden.

I thought that it had been mentioned on t.v. that animals and plants would be likely to change their behaviour due to the eclipse and thinking it was night time. As in plants with flowers that close at night might close and birds might go to roost.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm a little nervous guys. I am keeping my blinds down for Blu but I have to be outdoors walking dogs all day and the height of the eclipse is my busiest time of day. I know they say animals are not interested in looking at the sun but I walk a couple of dogs who are squirrel obsessed and they look up at trees all the time. Do I only need to worry about the 2.5 minutes that the sun is covered or what? I wish I had those special glasses. I notice the sun is brighter than normal already and my paranoia is making my eyes hurt already. Lol.

I know it's over but the only time you can look at the eclipse without protection is when it's at its maximum when the sun is entirely covered. As soon as there is light from the sun again you must protect your eyes.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I know it's over but the only time you can look at the eclipse without protection is when it's at its maximum when the sun is entirely covered. As soon as there is light from the sun again you must protect your eyes.
Thank you, iamwhoiam.
I have been out all day but did not look up at the sun at all because I was scared. It's been so bright out!

When the peak of the eclipse happened here (around 1:18pm) I rearranged my schedule a bit and stayed indoors from 1-1:45.

I think I'm ok :lol:

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Honestly I wasn't worried. If it was a huge danger we would have an awful lot of birds and other creatures running around blind. I don't think they are very interesting in looking straight at the eclipse other than getting sleepy thinking its been an awfully short day

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
It was a large nothing-burger here...the coverage on TV was breathtaking, indeed.

The next eclipse is in seven years, and Erie is in the path of totality ...hopefully I'll still be around then to see it...if not...:shrug:

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I wasn't worried at all. The sun was no stronger today than any other day. Josie was sitting in the window and probably wondering why I was wandering around the yard looking up at the sky. My chickens didn't change their behavior at all either.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I'm worried about the people that looked at the sun without glasses to protect their eyes. Or those that HAD glasses that weren't the right kind.