1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soft tissue injury

Discussion in 'Healthy Highway' started by Northwinds, 5/14/19.

1. Northwinds

Northwinds Meeting neighbors

Pamela Hendrickson
    our Sun Conure “Bird” has a hurt foot. Yesterday morning when we went to let him out of his age he had trouble climbing out and I noticed his foot was swollen. No discoloration or heat. He doesn’t put weight on it unless he has to.
    We took him to a Avian vet and after a X-ray it was determined Bird has a soft tissue injury. He gets metacam twice a day for pain and we have him in a special hospital cage so he doesn’t climb and reinjure it or fall and get hurt worse.
    Bird is six months old. We are not sure how he hurt his foot. He is a clumsy little Conure. His tail feathers were chewed off by another bird before we brought him home and his wings were clipped by the breeder.

Today his foot is no better. Was hoping to see some improvement. He isn’t happy in the hospital cage. I have several foot toys and small toys hanging in the hospital cage but nothing for him to perch on to avoid more injuries. He has food foraging toys as well in easy reach.

Has anyone had a similar injury? How kind did it take to heal?

2. EkkieLu

EkkieLu Rollerblading along the road Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Tricia
    I'm so sorry! Poor little guy. Sounds like you're taking good care of him and doing everything right. Phone your vet and tell them there's no improvement. They'll head you in the best direction for your baby.

Northwinds likes this.
  3. Lovebirdlover

Lovebirdlover Sprinting down the street Avenue Veteran

Kennedy
    Hi there!

My conure recently dislocated her knee joint and is in a cast for a month. I hope after that she will get the OK from the vet to get the cast off. She's also been banished to a safe "no climbing" hospital cage and isn't happy about it.:cautious:

Im not sure about healing time for soft tissue, but it sounds like you're doing everything right by keeping him comfortable. Is there something soft lining the bottom of his cage since he doesn't have any perches?

Hope Bird recovers quickly :hug8:

Northwinds likes this.
  4. sunnysmom

sunnysmom Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Michelle
    I hope he feels better soon!

5. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Tanya
    I would guess that foot injuries take time to heal, since they are on their feet all t he time.

6. Tiel Feathers

Tiel Feathers Cruising the avenue Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award

Deanna
    :(I’m sorry his foot is injured, and I hope he feels better soon!

7. Northwinds

Pamela Hendrickson

8. Northwinds

Pamela Hendrickson
    We have the bottom of his cage covered with a super soft blanket that he can’t get his toes hooked in. I did add a super low flat perch for him to sit on as he is so miserable in the hospital cage. He does seem to have improved some but now he doesn’t trust me due to having to towel him to give the medicine twice a day.
    I give him his favorite treats to try an win his favor back and sing to him his silly songs he loves. I hope he will forgive me with time.

9. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Sorry about the injury. Hope that he heals quickly. He'll get over being upset with having to be toweled and medicated.

Northwinds likes this.
  10. Kodigirl210

Kodigirl210 Rollerblading along the road

It seems odd they think it a soft tissue injury on the foot without any traumatic indication. Can you please possibly post a pic of his feet including the bottom? Maybe when you have to give him his meds?

I hope he gets better soon!

11. Northwinds

Pamela Hendrickson
    C946C1D8-8379-424F-BD89-9997BAF11811.jpeg
    He is doing much better today. The foot was swollen compared to the other one however there was no heat in it. He is using his toes today which I am happy to see.

Tiel Feathers and iamwhoiam like this.
  12. iamwhoiam

iamwhoiam Joyriding the Neighborhood Celebirdy of the Month Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

That's good news!

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)