• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

soft eggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
yes to all and dropings are normal but tomarrow she will go to a vet if this egg isnt layed

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
If an egg had broke in her the droppings would appear slimey. So that is good they look normal. Keep us posted :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
sending positive thoughts your way Sarah, you're getting great advice here

:hug8:

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
she laid it today fully shelld:dancing: but it was HUGE!!!!!! my god no wounder my poor baby this thin is about the width of my thum and im gussing 2-2 1/2 centimeters long :faint:

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
i know i was shocked nothing happened

seems perfectly fine now tho shredding the paper towel and pushing it throe the hole on her box :rolleyes: some things will never change

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
she laid it today fully shelld:dancing: but it was HUGE!!!!!! my god no wounder my poor baby this thin is about the width of my thum and im gussing 2-2 1/2 centimeters long :faint:
-----------------------------------

Whew!...I bet you were glad to see an egg.

OK....by huge do you mean alot larger than a normal sized egg? Do you have a normal sized egg to take a pix with for comparison? if so, weigh both eggs.

With tiels when there is an unusually large egg it could be a double yolked egg...thus a twin hatch. I have had over the years several live twin hatches, and several DIS twin eggs.

When a double yolk occurs resulting in a larger egg this means that transit time down the oviduct was too slow. If the egg is undersized the transit time was too fast and did not pick up a yolk.

Attachments

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
-----------------------------------

Whew!...I bet you were glad to see an egg.

OK....by huge do you mean alot larger than a normal sized egg? Do you have a normal sized egg to take a pix with for comparison? if so, weigh both eggs.

With tiels when there is an unusually large egg it could be a double yolked egg...thus a twin hatch. I have had over the years several live twin hatches, and several DIS twin eggs.

When a double yolk occurs resulting in a larger egg this means that transit time down the oviduct was too slow. If the egg is undersized the transit time was too fast and did not pick up a yolk.
i used to have un egg (not from her) from Bella she plopped down and layed it on her stand... the only one and only time but i did get some measurements on it and it wasn't this big...but i guess we get to wait till 5-7 days to know if there are two and if its fertile

srtiels

Ripping up the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Susanne
If she lays another one you can compare sizes.

With potential twin eggs there are 2 outcomes. It could have a slow transit and the yolk could have picked up 2 sperm, thus a shared yolk. In this case the chances of a sucessful hatch are 5%, unless careful monitoring and assisting, and then it is tricky. Or it could be a double yolk, which again both yolks are fertilezed, and chances of a successful hatch are very good.

I have a couple of pix's of shared yolks.

When candling it is hard to see. Freshly layed eggs would candle with a mostly yellow and little clear areas. At about 5 days into incubation, and if dark eyed birds the eye is tiny but visible and in candling, if twins 2 tiny spots would be seen.

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
oh when i took a look at it in the light i noted a a crack:( im going to put some elmers glue on it so she can keep it

Status
Not open for further replies.