• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soft collars vs birdie sweaters for plucking?

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
My parrotlet is a really heavy plucker. He's been plucking feathers as they grow in since about January and has destroyed his flight feathers. He has plucked himself almost completely bald in the past, and I'm really hoping to break this bad habit.

I have tried pretty much everything else, but am now considering trying a soft collar or vest to see if that helps. What have your experiences been? Any insight would be helpful.

Jobot

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jo
That is some good progress! I'm hoping that Flynn can learn some better habits if I keep him from doing it for a while. How long do you leave the sweaters or collars on? Do you take it off periodically for preening?

MNR

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I can't remember exactly how long. The problem started in June. After trying everything else, I purchased a pattern for sweater sometime in fall, sometime before Halloween. It was from here Home

She was wearing the collar by Christmas. She was wearing her sweater, too, to keep her warm (besides, looking cute!)

I am not sure how long she wore her collar. several month, well after her feathers grew back to break the cycle.

Yes, I did take them off, when I had to replace it. Collar was made from pipe insulation and cloth medical tape. Actually I still have the last one I made, but never had to use it again (that is sometime since 2011)