• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soft collar help

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
Hello all

Peaches has healed picked at the area again. Today I noticed he plucked some feathers from his wing area (must have just happened- I noticed a few red ish spots where the feathers were on the inside of his wing- giving them a good misting today might have triggered the overgrooming)

Last year I bought him a soft collar from soft lily pads for cockatiels (silver sulfadizine doesn’t work- he picks more viciously) , but I never stuck to it because he hated it so much and has a harder time getting around his cage with it on. Have any of you used a soft collar before?

Currently he is running around and around the floor- eating a few seeds he finds but unable to climb the ladder to let himself back into his cage

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
That must have been Pam's Petals on FB. She makes nice collars. Sorry your cockatiel is plucking feathers. Has a vet helped your bird?

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
That must have been Pam's Petals on FB. She makes nice collars. Sorry your cockatiel is plucking feathers. Has a vet helped your bird?
He hasn’t been seen in a while. Last time I tried to make an appointment I was kind of scared off because the receptionist told me about some avian virus quarantine and gave me some advice over the phone instead. I want to take him back but I thought I should try this first. last time the dr. gave the cream and antibiotics but they didn’t help- aggravated him more than anything. I think she is a good vet, but it’s probably hard to solve the issue in one appointment.

Do you happen to know if most birds are able to climb right away? How long does it take them to figure it out? I’m thinking of setting up a spot for him on the bottom of their cage but I’m worried he’ll stay up all night trying to get to his perches

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
I always use the little poncho style "collars".

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Can I see a pic of him in the collar?

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
54D65202-2884-4B33-A1BB-3B60DBA34825.png

And this is one of the areas that gets better but then looks worse. It looks worse in person- because you can see the area has developed a bump and the spot below it where he pulled a few feathers it looks like

I’m going to call the vet’s office again- if I’m lucky they’ll have something today. I’m super afraid of shelling out more money for something that makes him worse again, but maybe now I have a better idea of what’s wrong and what his responses to cream etc is. And since she’s seen him before maybe it’s better the second time.

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
I’ve just called and the receptionist mentioned the Newcastle’s disease quarantine still. I guess they have procedures for gowning up but that still makes me super nervous. And they don’t have availability to see a bird until next Thursday. Told her I’d think about it

RedFoxBlackSox

Walking the driveway
F95E0698-89EC-4F85-9DF3-3FF6389F3A90.png
60A2E1C2-C814-4DB3-B521-2B41B642B08C.png

These are the areas - it’s super hard to get an image because he doesn’t want me to lift his wings and I’m trying not to freak him out too much. The whitish film on the area is because of the cream from last night (I’ll wash it off and apply new after he’s eaten and drinken enough- then I’ll put the collar back on) - I think since I had the collar on when I applied it, he didn’t chew the area so bad.

I think it gets to a point where the skin is irritating to he bites at it- and the area becomes so delicate if he flaps down it opens slightly and there’s more scabbing