• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Society Finches

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
i posted awhile back about getting a canary. I really want one but just can’t bring myself to pay the pet store price. I settled for three Society finches who are sweet and fun to watch.
Yesterday for the first time I put a handful of Pampa’s chop on the bottom of their cage. It was mostly Kale. Before I was even done giving them fresh seed and water and fussing around their cage they were trying out the new food. They ate all of it! I figured it probably wasn’t new to them.

They are very cute and interesting little birds. I named them Jeepers, Creepers and Peepers. If you are old enough you may recognize it as an old song, I think from the 1920’s. I kept singing that song to them for some unknown reason, so hence their names.

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Arr they sound very cute and I love their names too. Im unfamiliar with the song..makes me feel a little bit younger lol.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
How lovely! Congrats on getting them! Post a pic Some time soon if you can:xflove:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! Finches are so cute.

Roxhum

Walking the driveway
Thanks everyone. Running off to work but I just cleaned and fed everyone and found a little finch egg at the bottom of the cage. I assume these are youngsters, and related. Well now I know at least one of the three are female. In all the years I had my female cockatiel she never laid an egg.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks everyone. Running off to work but I just cleaned and fed everyone and found a little finch egg at the bottom of the cage. I assume these are youngsters, and related. Well now I know at least one of the three are female. In all the years I had my female cockatiel she never laid an egg.
I almost wrote in my last post that my cousin had finches and they had a lot of babies....

Serin

Sprinting down the street
The call of the male society finch is monosyllabic whereas females have a two to three note chirp which sounds like a cricket. Males sing, hens don't, but their non-song calls are also distinct.

It's easier to breed society finches than to keep them from breeding!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!