• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Society finch behavior questions

adri2201

Moving in
Real Name
adrianna emitte
You actually have two male zebra finches, (Taeniopygia guttata), not society finches (Lonchura striata domestica). This is a much more aggressive type of finch and you must watch for aggression as I have had male pairs of zebras try to kill one another after several months of peaceful cohabitating. They can become especially territorial if they have a nest in their cage so actually, I recommend removing that. Even if they sleep in it together for now, one may claim it later and decide not to share. It can be cleaned by soaking in warm water for a bit then scrubbed with a cloth or a brush.

If you're lucky, you will have a true bonded pair and they won't fight, and you can let them have a nest, but if you see any chasing whatsoever and especially if anyone pulls anyone else's feathers you should seperate them.

Omg!!!! Thank you!!! I took it out this morning when I woke up, they have sort of been not fighting but bickering over it I think, no feather pulling but they get a little cranky towards each other at least once a day and it seems to stem from the nest, seriously, thank you! I had no idea! Im not sure if the videos uploaded properly, I can see them on my computer but not on my phone so if I have to I’ll re add them after work today

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Wowwww I am seeing gorgeous black cheek zebras! You are very lucky. They look kind of large and healthy.

I bred *only* for black cheek, which is recessive, and had to work to get them! Also they tend to get smaller as you go so every so often a big healthy normal has to be bred into the line.

The cage is much too small as you know. They will definitely fight in there. I use big cages and hang fake greenery all around to keep them from seeing each other, in case they decide to fight. Yours really should not because there are no hens around.

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
You have Zebbies (zebra finches), not societies :)They’re a little more aggressive, so get the widest cage possible and some plants for cover so in cage there is any aggression the victim can avoid the aggressor (however as long as they have lots of space and no girls you should be fine).