• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Society finch behavior questions

adri2201

Moving in
Real Name
adrianna emitte
hello! so I received 2 male society finches as a gift, named atticus and boo.

I dont know how old they are but I do know that they were purchased at a bird fair in Fresno, CA. They dont have quite the proper enclosure *yet* i believe it's a bit too tall and not wide enough, I'm working on that and should have them in something a bit roomier soon. I offer them a diet of mixed seeds, a canary and finch mix, which i just learned a few minutes ago is probably not the best so come pay day that will be fixed. I also offer a small bit of different fruits, veggies, or eggs daily. They have perches and a bath and they generally seem pretty happy as far as my limited knowledge can tell.

The first week or two atticus seemed to have lice or mites or something as he was very restless and puffy and seemed like he was pecking and cleaning himself a lot. I got a preventative thing to put on the side of the cage and spray once or twice a week and it seemed to clear up ( from both, boo eventually started acting the same too).

The past few days, maybe a week now, (oh i added a little nest maybe a week and a half ago if that's relevant) theyve been seeming sort of like they're fighting and one will mount the other. Now atticus seems a bit less vocal then usual (could be in my head because im paranoid about their health a little), but he'salso been kind of pecking at the food and water bowls and like chewing? on the edges on their swing like the metal part and today I just noticed that hes doing this clicking sound with his beak. at first i thought it was air sac mites ( which im considering treating for just in case) but the sound is 100% definitely coming from his beak. He's a lso nesting a lot more in general but much more than boo. his tummy i guess or like the under part ( not the vent) seems full looking like not puffy but full but again I could just be over analyzing.

I know this is a long post but I've just really fallen in love with these birds and I want to make sure they're happy and well taken care of, please any any help at all is GREATLY appreciated! Thank you all in advance!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Are you certain they are both males? Society finches are difficult to sex. Either has to be done via blood test, or usually easiest (but never 100% full proof) you can tell by their singing. The male will sing. If they are both singing, then yes, its a pretty good bet they are both males. If one is singing and one is making a beak clicking sound, that almost sounds less like a health issue, and more like a you have a male female pair :). This might also explain the nesting behavior and the mounting behavior. Confirm this question for us first and then we can continue thinking on the subject.

I have a pair of society finches as well. They are lots of fun. AtomiFlock - YouTube

Clairecanary15

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Claire
Hi

From what Ive read from the finch experts on here it does sound like you have a pair. Best of luck with your new found feathered friends. This forum is brilliant and have helped me alot with my canaries. .even the smallest of queries

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hi there! Congrats on your new babies. Cages seem to alaways be too tall/not wide enough. I believe we should all complain to the manufacturers! A 30x18x18 would house your new babies, but if you want to be especially kind to them get a flight cage (more like 30x18x36 tall). Some people take 2 or even 3 of the 30x18 and connect them together to make one long cage.

If you got the thing that hangs on the side of the cage for mites - throw it away NOW. It is poison.

Instead, go online and purchase S76. Put that in the water 2 days each week for 3 weeks. That will take care of air sac mites as well as others.

The canary seed wont hurt them, but you do need to switch. Mine LOVE canary seed for some reason. So it is their treat.

2 males will indeed mount each other, the more dominant one usually mounting the other. Could you post photos of them, and we’ll try to help you see what they are? Also if they sing they are males. Hens only chirp. And of course if you get eggs that’’s a little clue. :D Play some youtube finches for them and see how they act.

I hope you enjoy them. You’ll get lots of help here.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh - I re-read. The canary/finch blend is okay. Just use that up and then get something different.

Also if they had mites they didn’t lose them....what were you spraying with?

And the one chewing the bars, I have a male that does that when he’s ready to breed. LOL

adri2201

Moving in
Real Name
adrianna emitte
Are you certain they are both males? Society finches are difficult to sex. Either has to be done via blood test, or usually easiest (but never 100% full proof) you can tell by their singing. The male will sing. If they are both singing, then yes, its a pretty good bet they are both males. If one is singing and one is making a beak clicking sound, that almost sounds less like a health issue, and more like a you have a male female pair :). This might also explain the nesting behavior and the mounting behavior. Confirm this question for us first and then we can continue thinking on the subject.

I have a pair of society finches as well. They are lots of fun. AtomiFlock - YouTube
Hello! thank you for replying! I'm pretty sure that they're both males because they do seem to both sing but now I'm not entirely sure, I have to run to work soon but I'm hoping to catch a video tomorrow morning when they're more vocal. they both sing i think but the one also makes more clicking sounds than the other. I have a feeling finch song videos will be in my future during my lunch break today lol

adri2201

Moving in
Real Name
adrianna emitte
Hi there! Congrats on your new babies. Cages seem to alaways be too tall/not wide enough. I believe we should all complain to the manufacturers! A 30x18x18 would house your new babies, but if you want to be especially kind to them get a flight cage (more like 30x18x36 tall). Some people take 2 or even 3 of the 30x18 and connect them together to make one long cage.

If you got the thing that hangs on the side of the cage for mites - throw it away NOW. It is poison.

Instead, go online and purchase S76. Put that in the water 2 days each week for 3 weeks. That will take care of air sac mites as well as others.

The canary seed wont hurt them, but you do need to switch. Mine LOVE canary seed for some reason. So it is their treat.

2 males will indeed mount each other, the more dominant one usually mounting the other. Could you post photos of them, and we’ll try to help you see what they are? Also if they sing they are males. Hens only chirp. And of course if you get eggs that’’s a little clue. :D Play some youtube finches for them and see how they act.

I hope you enjoy them. You’ll get lots of help here.
Oh yay, you already answered one of my next questions about the cage! Oh actually other side question about cages and such, is it ok to buy them used like from craigslist or something? I know dogs can get parvo from old/other dog toys etc and i wasnt sure if birds have the same sort of thing.

Thank you for telling me about that, I tossed it as soon as i read your message! I feel so bad, I thought I was helping them :( I'll definitely pick some of the S76 up this weekend

Atticus isn't doing the clicking so far today and I read somewhere that it can be like a protective thing over the nest so maybe hes just playing housewife to the nest and they're a bit gender confused, idk, i took some pictures and ill try to get a video tomorrow, thanks for your help!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Atticus isn't doing the clicking so far today and I read somewhere that it can be like a protective thing over the nest so maybe hes just playing housewife to the nest and they're a bit gender confused,
Too cute!

It's ok, we all do the best we can.....

On the cages, I buy from CL if there isn't any rust. You can find some really good ones on there for cheap. One thing I will caution you about. TWO friends have bought used cages and had cockroach nests up in the legs! So clean them out! We always scrub with bleach outdoors, rinse like crazy, and leave it out there to dry.

adri2201

Moving in
Real Name
adrianna emitte
oh shoot i forgot to add that the spra i got was from petsmart i think, its ultracare lice and mite spray for birds

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
oh shoot i forgot to add that the spra i got was from petsmart i think, its ultracare lice and mite spray for birds
I'm not familiar with that one. I only use AIL (Avian Insect Liquidator) because I know it works, and I sprinkle diatomaceous earth on the tray below the cage or in the bottom of nest boxes. I have a lot of birds and can't afford the problem of mites!

adri2201

Moving in
Real Name
adrianna emitte
working on sending photos and videos now, I'm terribly bad with technology so I' having a bit of difficulty getting them from my phone to here but I'll get it eventually lol

adri2201

Moving in
Real Name
adrianna emitte
IMG_0827.jpg
The light color one is boo and the darker one is atticus. I'm not sure how many photos im allowed to post at one time so ill do them separately

Side question, how do you wash or clean the nest? do you clean it? I have no idea but theres poo in it and its bugging me

Serin

Sprinting down the street
You actually have two male zebra finches, (Taeniopygia guttata), not society finches (Lonchura striata domestica). This is a much more aggressive type of finch and you must watch for aggression as I have had male pairs of zebras try to kill one another after several months of peaceful cohabitating. They can become especially territorial if they have a nest in their cage so actually, I recommend removing that. Even if they sleep in it together for now, one may claim it later and decide not to share. It can be cleaned by soaking in warm water for a bit then scrubbed with a cloth or a brush.

If you're lucky, you will have a true bonded pair and they won't fight, and you can let them have a nest, but if you see any chasing whatsoever and especially if anyone pulls anyone else's feathers you should seperate them.