• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Soaking Pellets and Fruit

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
Gilligan has decided he likes his food soft. He has figured out he can re-hydrate dehydrated fruit, and soften those crunchy pellets by soaking them in his water bowl and bird bath. It makes quite a mess of the water.
Does anyone eases bird do this?
Any suggestions to keep him from messing up his water?

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
Ella soaks her pellets in her water, she has 2 water bowls in her cage she uses one bowl for soaking and the other bowl she leaves for drinking thus far.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Mine do this too. You could provide a bowl and a bottle of water.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
yep all of my birds do this lol. I've found it easiest to just offer pellets and dried fruit premoistened.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Almost all of mine dip their pellets before eating. It's a mess, but I wash the food and water bowls by hand at each feeing, so it's just part of my day.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
I thought MC was part raccoon...... he only does it with zupreem monkey biscuits though.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
yep all of my birds do this lol. I've found it easiest to just offer pellets and dried fruit pre-moistened.
I've heard @JLcribber say he doesn't serve dry pellets either and y'all have me wondering how long you soak them. Do you soak 'em till they're mush or you just wet them & some soaks in? I tried soaking the other day & ended up with gruel. :laugh: I didn't know if that was right but they ate some of it. Even no-pellet Scotty!

I haven't even ventured into the realm of dried fruits yet. :faint:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've heard @JLcribber say he doesn't serve dry pellets either and y'all have me wondering how long you soak them. Do you soak 'em till they're mush or you just wet them & some soaks in? I tried soaking the other day & ended up with gruel. :laugh: I didn't know if that was right but they ate some of it. Even no-pellet Scotty!

LOL it is a new thing for me that I am trying. I usually just pour in some warm water and serve as is. Just enough to cover everything.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen

LOL it is a new thing for me that I am trying. I usually just pour in some warm water and serve as is. Just enough to cover everything.

So you make the soup for them instead of giving a kit (separate food water bowls). ;) Probably keeps their real water bowl cleaner though. :wideyed: Does it?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Depends which brand of pellets you use. Harrison's turns to mush. Zupreem or Hari Adult/alternative formula don't. They hold their shape and get spongy like bread.

I use cold water about 30 minutes ahead of feeding to give time to soak in. I also just put enough water to cover them in the small bowl and it all gets absorbed.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
So you make the soup for them instead of giving a kit (separate food water bowls). ;) Probably keeps their real water bowl cleaner though. :wideyed: Does it?

Absolutely helps! Jingo likes to "bob for pellets" so this is just easier for him anyways LOL