• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So.. Tame Finches.. know of any good breeders?

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
What is stated above?
I'm looking into getting one from the Houston area if anyone can help me?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Finches are incredibly difficult to hand feed. Due to this, there are not many breeders who even attempt doing it. To be honest, even if you do find one, you will likely have to have it shipped.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Shipped is sadly a problem.. I don't like the idea of sending animals in a box without observation.
Hey it was worth asking right? Worse comes to shove I DO know of a good breeder in canada, I was just hoping for something a little closer to home.
The other way is the quiet approach and taming some birds adopted from the shelter in Houston. Thanks for replying!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Shipped is sadly a problem.. I don't like the idea of sending animals in a box without observation.
Hey it was worth asking right? Worse comes to shove I DO know of a good breeder in canada, I was just hoping for something a little closer to home.
The other way is the quiet approach and taming some birds adopted from the shelter in Houston. Thanks for replying!
Just so that you know, you may be required to quarantine a bird coming from Canada.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
What is stated above?
I'm looking into getting one from the Houston area if anyone can help me?
Have you considered @kanth who is having to rehome several of his fids? I believe he's in TN and has 2 society finches and was willing to drive.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Totally! I don't get them till Christmas or after anyway (spring) so plenty of time.

I need to upgrade cages first Porters is a lol worse for wear e.e

Last edited:

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
They aren't normally but I know of one breeder in Canada so I was hoping there might be one or two hobbyists that folks here knew about closer to me c:.

On can't help but be hopeful. And if they aren't hand raised well... I'm patient when it comes to it. I have had plenty of hands off birds before just never soft bills.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Right after I posted to you, I went in the bird room and h ad 2 Gouldian fledglings. One had a bloody spot on his side. Hubby washed him off with neem tea (I was giving it out at the time, and it is anti bacterial) and put some ointment on, then held his hand out inside the cage ....and the bird just sat on his hand. Then it hopped up his arm, toward his shoulder. He finally had to place it on a perch! Maybe that's a tame possibility.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@finchly

Oh no I hope the baby is ok D:
Also... I'd totally drive to Florida for a pair of your babies.
xD

Though I'm not sure if you sell em or not. But I'd rather get a pair from someone I know from here than blindly go elsewhere.
Oh. Well! I do sell them. I have some that just finished feathering (3, 2 males and a hen) some that are 1/2 way molted (6, 2 males and 4 question marks so far) and the 2 fledglings. And one in the nest still naked. LOL $65 each - I don't price differently for color.

Also have Gloster canaries.

The breeders, one moved away to Washington state and one doesn't hand feed. I posted on a small board to see if anyone there does.