• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So much guilt :(

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If they are supposed to be your birds, then it's very irresponsible of your family to have gotten you pets that they won't let you take proper care of
Yes I would agree. One of the main reasons why "kids" shouldn't have birds.

Karija

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
It sounds like you're younger and live with your grandparents who may have incorrect ideas how birds are supposed to be taken care of and thus aren't letting you take care of them properly. Lots of people think you just leave birds in a cage all day and you've done your due diligence as long as they are watered and fed. They don't realize the interaction that birds need to stay psychologically healthy. Training sessions may only last fifteen minutes, but you can do them at different points in a day, and there should be free 'out time' with the flock (i.e. rest of the family) in addition to that. If you aren't able to handle them right now because they're aggressive due to neglect, then you need to be spending time in that room doing other things and just talking to them so they can get used to you. Even if your computer is in another room, could you do non-computer homework (maths, reading, writing drafts by hand, whatever) down there? Is their cage in a location where they see people in the household regularly?

Would it be helpful to have info on parrot care to share with your grandparents? If so, we could probably do that. Are they still in the same cage? If your grandparents don't want to buy another cage, you may want to talk to them about possible vet bills if there is a severe injury - getting another cage is cheaper than an emergency vet bill and treatment. If you have a budget for the cost of a cage, we can probably help you find some online options.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I really hesitate to put any kind of number on how much attention a birds needs. 15 minutes once or twice a day is fine for training. Also training doesn't need to be formal. Birds will learn informally as well. I might do 2 minutes of training every time my birds are out and then we do something else. They love to watch me clean or do dishes.

I had birds when I was in school too. I would let them out in the morning when I feed them and got ready for school. Then I would put them back in their cage before I left. Then they could be out with me while I did homework or watched TV in the evening. They always seemed happy and it worked. Mine also loved to sit on the shower rod while I showered so that gave us some more time. I just worked them into my routine.

As for Rascal beating up on Rainey if he is pulling out her feathers or making her bleed then they should be separated. Also if she is constantly running from him then it can stress her and make her sick. I have pairs of birds too and it can be difficult to know if they are playing or fighting (caiques which I have are very, very rough when they play so it is difficult to tell). However, I have seen caiques fight and there is a definite difference.

Body language is very important, what are they doing when they are getting along? Do they eat, sleep and preen together? Do they sit together or on opposite ends of the cage? If you separate them do they both contact call one another or does just one of them call or neither? It is easy to spot a pair if you know what to look for.

The most important thing is to be safe and cautious so if you think that Rascal is trying to hurting Rainey then you should separate them. Maybe put them in side by side cages and see how they act. Perhaps someone with pairs of conures can explain their typical behavior to you.

Just keep it up, treat them nice and give it lots and lots of time to gain more trust. Birds live a long time and will constantly be changing. Also if they are young then they may just be growing up and trying to tell you they don't like something that they used to like.

❤ Rosette ❤

Meeting neighbors
The first time my quaker parrot met my green cheek, he plucked out one of her feathers.
I don't let them interact anymore, needless to say.

Are they living together? If so, you need to get Rainy out of that situation as soon as possible. You can even get a small, more temporary cage for her, anything would be better than being constantly bullied.

As for attention, she needs to be more than just trained. :)
Interact with both birds for several hours a day, just let them out of their cages and chill out in the room. They'll be happy to be out, trust me!

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd was OK with 10 to 15 a day of one on one daddy time, but once one of us was home he was free ranging till he decided to go to bed so that probably helps. Used to do the same with Lurch and now Dobby though he's such a mischievous boy that we tend to get things done, then let him out so we can keep an aye on him.
Dobby is in here right now setting on the curtain and grinding his beak with a foot put away seeing how I'm not his chosen one and sister wanted a shower so I brought him in here to hang out and let her be.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
We know it's tough when you're young and/or living with someone else.

There are a multitude of ideas on this thread. Feel free to ask for more assistance or thoughts if you have questions about an idea that was posted on here. That's what the forum was designed for, helping folks to care for the feathered guys.

MixieMoxie

Meeting neighbors
15 minutes is no where near enough time. Loki tags along where ever I go to "help" me do whatever I am working on.

In the morning my 14 yo goes downstairs and uncovers Loki. He has his big poop. Either my kids or myself get him out. He then tags along while I care for all the other animals. He helps feed the Guinea Pigs, the parakeets, and fill the dog bowls. He gets his breakfast on his perch while I finish my morning routine.

He then goes in the cage while everyone is at work or school. When the first person gets home they get him out. My kids will do their homework while he "helps". He goes from family member to family member depending on his mood. He helps the boys play xbox. He makes the bed with me.

Whatever we are doing he gets to tag along