• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So much guilt :(

BirdLover_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carter
For the past few weeks i just haven't been hanging out with Rainy like i should be at all. I've been so angry at school and everything i never payed attention to her. Tomorrow im going to start doing at least 15 minutes a day again. I was shocked and sad when it happened but Rainy tried biting me while i was trying to get her to step up a week ago. I can only blame myself for it, unfortunately. I already took a bite when i put her in the cage to go to bed. She doesnt bite near as hard as Rascal so i feel as though our bond hasnt been completely severed. I have a huge amount of guilt... im for sure going to start spending time with her way more often...:sad10::explode::sad6:

Rascal also bullies Rainy...he bites her head feathers off, hits her down with his beak, and they fight at least once an hour... i feel as though sometimes she would much rather be at the Rainbow Bridge than here...:cry:

Attachments

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Just work with her again and she'll remember the trust and love again. You two had it before and you know what she likes. Sounds like you need to keep Rascal apart so he doesn't attack and hurt her as it can get quite serious and she could get badly hurt if they can't play nice together.
Good luck and don't beat up on yourself as life can take over, just try to make some time for the fids as they depend on and care about you even if they don't show it right now.

BirdLover_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carter
Just work with her again and she'll remember the trust and love again. You two had it before and you know what she likes. Sounds like you need to keep Rascal apart so he doesn't attack and hurt her as it can get quite serious and she could get badly hurt if they can't play nice together.
Good luck and don't beat up on yourself as life can take over, just try to make some time for the fids as they depend on and care about you even if they don't show it right now.
Thank you :hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Tomorrow im going to start doing at least 15 minutes a day again.
I doubt I would be your friend if you only spent 15 minutes a day with me. (That's almost no attention at all).

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Owning a bird is hard. It really is. With all the joy, there is sacrifice too. And seeing that you're young and in school, etc. I'm sure you have added pressures on you. It's mature of you to realize that you're not spending enough time with her and are willing to correct that. But keep in mind, she (they) depend on you. :)

jojomom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
mandy
My daughter puts her bird on a stand by her computer while she does her homework. She will talk to Sunset and interact a little as she studies. She takes him with her when she brushes her teeth. He gets a foot toy and she brushes and flosses. If she watches any tv he is right there climbing all over her. At dinner time the birds get their chop right in the dining room with the rest of the family. There are lots of ways to incorporate bird time into your day.

jojomom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
mandy
Another thing my daughter does that i adore is to wear a hoodie backwards and Sunset climbs into the hood part and takes a nap. She walks around doing chores or whatever and he just snoozes away. I suggest making every effort possible. You dont have to dedicate 2 hours a day but if you include your baby in everything you can it will be good for both of you. It shouldnt feel like a chore to spend time with them. And it wont be a chore if you find little ways to just enjoy each others company.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
I hope you can repair your relationship!

Also please separate them. It isn't fair to Rainy to have to suffer.

As for time, just let your bird out of the cage. Grumbles is always out when I'm home, but he is usually playing on his cage top or the curtains :lol: Just spend time with her, as others stated. :)

HawkEagle

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Paulina
As everyone said, do spend time with Rainy and you'll be fine :)

BirdLover_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carter
Another thing my daughter does that i adore is to wear a hoodie backwards and Sunset climbs into the hood part and takes a nap. She walks around doing chores or whatever and he just snoozes away. I suggest making every effort possible. You dont have to dedicate 2 hours a day but if you include your baby in everything you can it will be good for both of you. It shouldnt feel like a chore to spend time with them. And it wont be a chore if you find little ways to just enjoy each others company.
My grandparents dont allow them in my room where my computer is :(

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
As everyone above has said, its imperative you spend more time with your parrots. Trust and love are earned with parrots, not freely given. Spend at least an hour with them separately each day. Incorporate them into your routines. My guys love to hang on my shoulder as I do dishes, read, sweep the floor, etc. Really, only fifteen minutes a day isn't sufficient. And please separate them. You can keep their cages next to each other, but it appears Rainy is being bullied and it could be severely. It will be better for both birds to have them in their own cages.

BirdLover_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carter
For people saying i need to spend more than 15 minutes i realize that, but if im training thats usually how long their attention span is.

BirdLover_

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Carter
Where are the birds ? Is there a reason they can't be around the computer?
My computer is upstairs in my room, they are downstairs in the kitchen. My grandparents just wont let me.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
For people saying i need to spend more than 15 minutes i realize that, but if im training thats usually how long their attention span is.
There are soooo many reasons why you need to spend quality time with your fids! Training is only a miniscule part of it! You only get out of your fids what you put into them! Hopefully that makes sense!

I came a across an add recently on the internet of a person selling his GCC pair! He stated that he couldn't keep them anymore because of their bad behavior, primarily due to the inability of being able to spend quality time with them anymore and the reason why they were misbehaving at the moment! He asserted that if you spend an hour with them each day... they would stop biting! Two hours a day and it would start to turn around their bad behavior!

Food for thought!

Last edited:

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
It's not just about training though. I work 40 hours a week, but take care of my kids, the house and still manage to spend time with my birds. Routine helps greatly! Ours come out from 6-8 in the mornings, 12-1 for my lunch break and from 5-8 at night, 8 being when they get out to bed officially. If I can do it, you can. Tuki is flighted so he goes where he wants. Diego is too, but is a little unsure about it yet. But she's with me when I get ready in the morning, if I'm doing the dishes, or laundry, she's with me.

Heather F

Are these your birds, or the family's birds? If they are the family pets you need to make spending time with them in their area a priority. If there is schoolwork you can do without a computer, sit in the same room with them and work on it there. You don't have to be actively playing with them -- just being near them helps your relationship.

If they are supposed to be your birds, then it's very irresponsible of your family to have gotten you pets that they won't let you take proper care of, because taking proper care of birds means spending lots of time with them. Birds are not pets who don't really care if you're in the room with them or not. They are highly social creatures and they really need to be where their people are. Birds can literally die of loneliness, or develop really bad health and behavioral issues if they are stressed and/or bored. One of your birds is already hurting the other (I hope you have separated them by now).

Maybe you can see about moving your computer out of your room and into the room where the birds are?