• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video So much for making friends....ah, well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Don't interrupt my window time.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He´s definitely not slow with the beak action!!:roflmao: Never underestimate a special needs bird ❤

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
MOM, leave me alone or you'll be sorry

EkkieLu

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Lol! Good try though!

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww he has a window perch. Is that one of those made for a cat? Great idea.
It's an old pillowcase that has been folded and layered with fleece. He has a window perch that's designed for cats, but he's afraid of it, so I've been leaving it out in the open for a few days so he can get used to it again. I'm hoping to reinstall it in a few days. :)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
MOM, leave me alone or you'll be sorry
yeah lol he's not a fan of my sister, or anyone for that matter. He was choking on a birdie cookie yesterday and I had my sister offer his bowl of water and water from a bottle and he refused both of them. Only when I got up and offered a bottle of water did he drink. He'd rather die than accept help from anyone else. :banghead:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, you are his flock and the bond is very strong
If only he would let someone else help him. At this rate, he'll starve himself if I ever have to go out of town for a day or two.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Guess you will have to take him.........

ConureTiel

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
That window seat is WONDERFUL!

I do kinda have a thought re: getting him to respond better to others -- may not help at all, but just throwing it out there in case it may help or give food for thought or whatever -- whoever in the video kept reaching for him was really not respecting his cues to back off - just kept reaching and reaching and reaching and reaching and reaching.

Java was just doing air jabs, then had to escalate to skin contact because he wasn't being "listened to" in that moment. (Unless that's a game you guys like to play -- like keep away or something, and you're all just playing, but I didn't get that sense.)

That's not to say at all that you're not the most amazing parront and family in the world to Java! But just in that moment, in that video, to me for a parrot (because they are just so, so sensitive, and the difference in pretty much anything between wonderful and terrible is barely detectable to us clumsy humans -- be it touch, or where to sit, or what to eat, etc. - they are just so, so discerning and make such fine discriminations) - he was really being pushed to and not "listened" to, so to speak.

Is it possible that others who go to interact with Java don't read his body language nearly as well as you do, and that may be some small part of why he won't take food or drink from them, or have any positive interactions with them, etc? Maybe they need really detailed guidance from you in how to interact with him in a way that makes him feel like he is being listened to and not pushed to, say, accept petting he doesn't want, etc.?

I don't think there's anybody in the world who could or would do more for Java than you! But he's got to expand his circle of friends! It's only healthy for you both -- you may well have to go away for a day or something, like you said.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Java was just doing air jabs, then had to escalate to skin contact because he wasn't being "listened to" in that moment. (Unless that's a game you guys like to play -- like keep away or something, and you're all just playing, but I didn't get that sense.)
Thank you very much for the detailed response. The person in the video is my sister who has 'a score to settle' with Java. He was NOT playing at all. I try to explain to her his body language and that he doesn't want her to pet him, but she's convinced that if she persists, he'll eventually give in. He either screams or lunges whenever anyone tries to touch him other than me. I've had my grandmother, sister, and mother feed him a few times and he usually goes back into the cage until they leave the room. My mother is afraid of him, so is my grandmother, my sister antagonizes him, so I'm kind of with my back to the wall as far as getting him used to everyone.
Sure they talk to him and offer him treats, but he's still untrusting, usually scrambling to get back in the cage or screaming until they go away. The times that I needed one of them to feed him while I was at an appointment, they told me as soon as they opened the cage door, he started flailing around and screaming like they were trying to eat him.
At this rate, I'm beginning to believe that this is the way things are for him and being around other people. I'm kind of out of ideas at this point but I don't want to push him over the edge, so it looks like he's very much a one-person bird.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Don't worry too much. Many, if not most parrots, are one person birds. They are very vulnerable just from the size difference, if nothing else. They can't speak to us, they can't really get away from us when we scare or make them uncomfortable. Java has special circumstances that make him even more vulnerable than the average bird. He is not very mobile.

You have spent a lot, and I mean a lot, of time developing the relationship that the two of you have. That relationship is very special to you and him and isn't going to extend to anyone else by association. Java is special and he trusts you.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't worry too much. Many, if not most parrots, are one person birds. They are very vulnerable just from the size difference, if nothing else. They can't speak to us, they can't really get away from us when we scare or make them uncomfortable. Java has special circumstances that make him even more vulnerable than the average bird. He is not very mobile.

You have spent a lot, and I mean a lot, of time developing the relationship that the two of you have. That relationship is very special to you and him and isn't going to extend to anyone else by association. Java is special and he trusts you.

Thank you :heart::hug8:

Sonic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ege
I suggest just trying to get him comfortable and then trying to play/talk to him

Status
Not open for further replies.