• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So I'm really Nervous... Travelling with unclipped birds?

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I've never done this before, after reading so many positive things about leaving your birds fully unclipped I decided to try it and let all their feathers grow out.

(I usually give a partial clip that slows my little guys down when travelling or when in a small building.)

However since I've fully let feathers grow out over the last 6 months they have become more confidant and happier and I simply refuse to clip them again. I am beginning to understand everything said in the advice given and its a delight to see Porter and Maia zip about like the little acrobats that they are.

But I'm nervous as anything about travelling with them unclipped as I've never done this before. I'm scared because Maia is a little escape artist and though I've taken all precautions with their travel cage I'm terrified of her slipping out of one of the doors or something while I'm heading into hotel rooms or anything in general.

I can't use their crates anymore because Maia has learned that my arm can't block her from escaping so I'm using a less than 'safe' cage in my book to transport them.

I have to move back to Louisiana due to likely gaining a job down there which was unexpected.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I've traveled 12 hour trips several times a year with unclipped birds.

Zip ties. Use them on any possible opening. Keep a bag in the car to replace any that got cut for access

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Thats a good idea! What about just using luggage locks?
Maia has chewed THROUGH Zip ties... aka little woodchipper budgie and Porter just doesn't care.

Lol.

Thats a bit of a relief, Thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thats a good idea! What about just using luggage locks?
Maia has chewed THROUGH Zip ties... aka little woodchipper budgie and Porter just doesn't care.

Lol.

Thats a bit of a relief, Thank you!

Anything they can't chew through then :) I use the heavy duty black zip ties but I also don't have ones that like to chew through them.

Even quick links if they can't open them (Jingo can so I can't use those)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If you are using zip ties remember to bring a nippers.

As a last solution.. (of course I'm kidding..)
And I will not tell how to use the duct tape.

and