• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So... I'm a computer technician

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have 160Mbps internet and so should you. Internet is life. I can download even a 100GB game in a couple of hours. Fast internet is a must these days.
Can't get FIOS where I live and I don't want to pay the rates for cable at this time. If the prices were more reasonable I would do it but I would be paying about 2X what I am paying now.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Can't get FIOS where I live and I don't want to pay the rates for cable at this time. If the prices were more reasonable I would do it but I would be paying about 2X what I am paying now.
Sorry I didn't mean to sound like a jerk. I pay a lot for my internet here in Toronto but compared to when I started using the internet with a 28800 baud modem, then a 56K, this is great. I remember when I had 8Mb cable internet I thought that was amazing but I wasn't really streaming video or downloading games. I hope to one day be able to afford gigabit internet. The infrastructure in my area is available for it. I just can't afford it. It is outrageously expensive, as is the modem you need for it. One day. Sigh.

Do you use DSL?

Jaguar

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Ry
My partner works in software engineering (EMR, backend). He has a bachelors in CIS and A+ and all that. Employed straight out of college. The demand for tech workers is huge.

I'm a pretty big geek, too. Nice setup. I don't have any recent pics of mine. :p

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you use DSL?

Slow DSL and never even gets up to the maximum so not going to pay for something faster when it won't happen and I was told it won't. We are at the end of the line here. Streaming seems OK, for the most part, although do get buffering every now and then. DLing is horrible. Uploading really, really slow.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George

Slow DSL and never even gets up to the maximum so not going to pay for something faster when it won't happen and I was told it won't. We are at the end of the line here. Streaming seems OK, for the most part, although do get buffering every now and then. DLing is horrible. Uploading really, really slow.
I feel your pain :(.

I first used the internet on my grandfather's university internet connection (which was garbage) via a 28.8 modem. Getting 1KB/s download was like "OMG!!!" usually it was more like 0.5KB/s download. It was brutal. Fullscreen (640x480 back in the day) images felt like they took 3 days to display lol.

I remember when my friend and I tried to download the WinBowl bowling game for Win 3.1. It was just over 600KB. 5 hours to download.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had dial up years ago. The modem speed was nowhere near 28.8. LOL

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I had dial up years ago. The modem speed was nowhere near 28.8. LOL
Ouch. I remember when I was a teenager back around 1995 and my friend and I found out that there were "photos of interest to male teenagers" on the internet... and that the first one we looked at took like 25 minutes to load and I had my fingers hovering over ALT and F4 the entire time incase a parent came into the room LMAO those were the days.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's a cute cartoon. Do you find it hard to give up your old computers?

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
That's a cute cartoon. Do you find it hard to give up your old computers?
Nope. The new computer is always so much better than the old computer. I run computers for two generations typically. The old PC becomes an HTPC or a server or something for a couple of years before it's finally stripped down and sold super cheap for parts. (Makes for some free parrot toys or food etc).

For example, My core 2 duo machine that I built in 2007 was retired in mid December 2010 and became my HTPC which was its role until around 2013 when I stripped it down and sold it for parts.

My next HTPC was a Pentium G3258 machine on an ASRock Z97 anniversary motherboard. I ran that as an HTPC for two years while my main machine was a 2600K based machine. In June of 2016 I saw a 4790K for sale super cheap so I picked it up, popped it in my Z97 machine, and popped my good GPU in there and that became my main machine, with the Sandybridge system being sold off (minus GPU and RAM/storage).

I sold the G3258. I felt kind of guilty for not giving it to my mom who runs a lowly celeron on an H81 board. But it gets her by. I'll buy her something better when she needs it. All she does on her PC is email and netflix.

I repurpose machines a lot. I try to get max perf for incremental gradual investment. Don't want to shock the wallet.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have several computers in the house. I didn't build any of them although I did upgrades on a few. I mainly use my desktop & tablet. Desktop is a 4770. Would like a newer computer but I don't have the extra $$ right now and other things are a priority. Might upgrade the GPU. Need to get one of my older ones running again because I have files on it that I didn't back up. Just been lazy about doing it.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I have several computers in the house. I didn't build any of them although I did upgrades on a few. I mainly use my desktop & tablet. Desktop is a 4770. Would like a newer computer but I don't have the extra $$ right now and other things are a priority. Might upgrade the GPU. Need to get one of my older ones running again because I have files on it that I didn't back up. Just been lazy about doing it.
Your 4770 is fine. If you don't do any super heavy computation its fantastic. Great for gaming. Just get a better GPU and you'll be good for a couple of years yet.

What motherboard are you running? Mine is crap but it gets me by. I had the 2600K on a Maximus IV Extreme. That thing was a beast. I'll never spend that much on a board again. It was a one time treat for myself.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's a Dell computer and I think the mobo is Intel but I really don't know for sure and have no idea which model it is.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's been fine and I got it for a good price. To buy the individual components that were comparable it would have cost more $$. Dell computers aren't bad but their customer service and support stinks.

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
It's been fine and I got it for a good price. To buy the individual components that were comparable it would have cost more $$. Dell computers aren't bad but their customer service and support stinks.
No offense, because I like you, I really do, but there is a difference between a computer being "not bad because it works" and knowing the quality of the parts and workmanship that goes into them. Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, they are built like crap. If they were houses they would be made of Elmer's wood glue and popsicle sticks and insulated with cotton candy. Yes, they work. Sometimes they work for a long time. But so does a Ford Fiesta. It's still a p.o.s. car. :)

BTW My mom's powersupply died today. Case in point about crappy components. I built that thing on a shoestring budget and used a crap power supply. It lasted three years. Swapped it out this afternoon.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
I have been following your thread and just wanted to let you know that as a near computer illiterate I have only understood a small fraction of anything you wrote. So I responded as comic relief

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
I have been following your thread and just wanted to let you know that as a near computer illiterate I have only understood a small fraction of anything you wrote. So I responded as comic relief
overclockers.co.uk

It's never too late to learn :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
No offense, because I like you, I really do, but there is a difference between a computer being "not bad because it works" and knowing the quality of the parts and workmanship that goes into them. Dell, HP, Acer, Lenovo, they are built like crap. If they were houses they would be made of Elmer's wood glue and popsicle sticks and insulated with cotton candy. Yes, they work. Sometimes they work for a long time. But so does a Ford Fiesta. It's still a p.o.s. car. :)

BTW My mom's powersupply died today. Case in point about crappy components. I built that thing on a shoestring budget and used a crap power supply. It lasted three years. Swapped it out this afternoon.

My computer is not a p.o.s. If it was I wouldn't have purchased it. I agree, though, that their quality isn't the same as it was many years ago. The good thing is that I am capable of resolving issues with my systems and replacing components as needed.
If a component went bad their diagnostic process was lacking. It was all very scripted. I would pretend to go through their script to diagnose when I already knew what was wrong and what needed to be replaced since that's what they require you to do when the system is under warranty. They would tell me they were going to send me a replacement component but for one I knew was working. However, I could always convince them to also send me the one I knew was problematic.

I would change the Dell logo to this but that's because of their service and support.
dell.jpg

I wasn't going to buy another Dell after my last one but I liked the price and was happy with the components that were being used.

On the other hand my work computer, an HP, was garbage.

BTW, you have hurt my computer's feelings...
sad computer.jpg

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
My computer is not a p.o.s. If it was I wouldn't have purchased it. I agree, though, that their quality isn't the same as it was many years ago. The good thing is that I am capable of resolving issues with my systems and replacing components as needed.
If a component went bad their diagnostic process was lacking. It was all very scripted. I would pretend to go through their script to diagnose when I already knew what was wrong and what needed to be replaced since that's what they require you to do when the system is under warranty. They would tell me they were going to send me a replacement component but for one I knew was working. However, I could always convince them to also send me the one I knew was problematic.

I would change the Dell logo to this but that's because of their service and support.
View attachment 251362

I wasn't going to buy another Dell after my last one but I liked the price and was happy with the components that were being used.

On the other hand my work computer, an HP, was garbage.

BTW, you have hurt my computer's feelings...
View attachment 251361
If you know how to troubleshoot, why are you buying prebuilt? If you had a custom machine you could have RMA'd the part you knew was bad without having to jump through Dell's hoops. I had a Dell once. The experience was a nightmare and the quality of the machine was gutter-grade. Never again. This was before I knew an awful lot and their solution to everything was to reinstall the OS with no attention payed to backing up data whatsoever. Dell is a joke. Michael Dell is quite the prick as well. I have heard stories.