• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So I might be bringing home a pair of finches? Hlep

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
TFW you're known as the crazy bird person and people learn to contact you when they can't keep their birds.

The two I'm going to look at tomorrow are two four month old society finches (I think that's the proper translation, at least). They're supposed to be brothers, one is beige and white and the other is brown and white.

I've never had finches before, but I have a large enough cage with the proper bar spacing, I just need a bit of advice;
  • I know they need their own specific feed and can't easily eat hookbill seeds, but can they tacke crushed budgie pellets? I've crushed mine into fine powder or my birds don't touch it, so the size isn't an issue.
  • Vegetable-wise, what do they need? I've heard they need a lot of leafy greens.
  • I've heard they like jingly bells and swings. Are there other toys they might like?
  • Letting them out and about with my parrots would be a bad idea, right? Would keeping them in their cage while my lovebirds fly free in my bedroom/bird room be okay once they're out of quarantine, or should I just not even take that chance?
  • Is four months old too old for hand-taming?
  • Do I need to grate their cuttlebone, or can they scrape it like parrots?
  • Is there a way to tell if they're actually both boys? Even if they weren't related, I don't want eggs. I have a second empty cage I can use if they're not the same sex, but I'd prefer to keep them together. I don't particularly care about song, either. They just need a home and I'm willing to give it to them.
  • Should I cover their cages at night like I do with my parrots?
  • Do they need grit? I'm seeing conflicting information and I don't want to get them sick. I have none of my birds on the stuff, but I can easily get some if I need it.
  • This isn't a question, but I know quarantine is a must.

Last edited:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Davi

Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
I've never had any finches, so can't help with specific advice. But I'm glad you're getting so prepared! :rfcanary::rfcanary: (couldn't find a better emoji!) ;-)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
@finchly !
Thank you for helping those babies out! I never knew a lot about finches, but the avenue got me interested in them too:rofl: Can’t wait to see pictures!

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Thank you. I'm still talking to their current owner about them before I go pick them up. The last thing I want to do is get them sick or something.

Apparently, they already eat their fruits and veggies; grated carrot, orange, apple and broccoli is what she feeds them, along with seeds.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Great that they already Eat veggies! I don’t know about your flock but it is an issue in mine:p

Featheredfuffs

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
TFW you're known as the crazy bird person and people learn to contact you when they can't keep their birds.

The two I'm going to look at tomorrow are two four month old society finches (I think that's the proper translation, at least). They're supposed to be brothers, one is beige and white and the other is brown and white.

I've never had finches before, but I have a large enough cage with the proper bar spacing, I just need a bit of advice;
  • I know they need their own specific feed and can't easily eat hookbill seeds, but can they tacke crushed budgie pellets? I've crushed mine into fine powder or my birds don't touch it, so the size isn't an issue.
  • Vegetable-wise, what do they need? I've heard they need a lot of leafy greens.
  • I've heard they like jingly bells and swings. Are there other toys they might like?
  • Letting them out and about with my parrots would be a bad idea, right? Would keeping them in their cage while my lovebirds fly free in my bedroom/bird room be okay once they're out of quarantine, or should I just not even take that chance?
  • Is four months old too old for hand-taming?
  • Do I need to grate their cuttlebone, or can they scrape it like parrots?
  • Is there a way to tell if they're actually both boys? Even if they weren't related, I don't want eggs. I have a second empty cage I can use if they're not the same sex, but I'd prefer to keep them together. I don't particularly care about song, either. They just need a home and I'm willing to give it to them.
  • Should I cover their cages at night like I do with my parrots?
  • Do they need grit? I'm seeing conflicting information and I don't want to get them sick. I have none of my birds on the stuff, but I can easily get some if I need it.
  • This isn't a question, but I know quarantine is a must.
They should be able to handle most budgie pellets :)

It’s great that you’re guys will be already eating greens, I’ve only ever gotten mine on kale, romaine, and apple. They really like the dark leafy greens. They really love nesting material-type things, like straw or coconut fibers. I like to get a big box on the bottom of my guys cage, fill it with straw, and hide some millet on the bottom. They love it!

I’d be careful with the lovebirds, they are big enough to cause some real damage if they want to. I’d defietly supervise them in the same room for a while (with the finches in a cage) before letting them near each other.

They are most certainly young enough for hand taming! Just be patient!

And I grate my cuttlebone, or they don’t touch the stuff. Egg laying shouldn’t be an issue as even if they are a boy and girl, you can just provide dummy eggs. I’ve never had a problem with preventing laying.

Garet

Real Name
Garet
Ah, thank you, but my plans just changed. :C I already contacted the finch's owners and they understand. As much as I'd love having them, the people who were trying to breed geralt are selling their female and I want to get her out of there asap, so she needs the cage.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Ah, thank you, but my plans just changed. :C I already contacted the finch's owners and they understand. As much as I'd love having them, the people who were trying to breed geralt are selling their female and I want to get her out of there asap, so she needs the cage.
Oh shoot! I was looking forward to another finch owner here.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
Well in case you end up getting finches in the future...

I know they need their own specific feed and can't easily eat hookbill seeds, but can they tacke crushed budgie pellets? I've crushed mine into fine powder or my birds don't touch it, so the size isn't an issue.
I feed my society pair fresh sprouted seeds and pellets specific to finches. The pellets are more of a backup as they prefer their fresh foods first.

Vegetable-wise, what do they need? I've heard they need a lot of leafy greens.
I feed them a little bit of everything both fruits and vegetables cut up very small so they can easily pick at it, but their hands down favorite are leafy greens, corn on the cob, and sprouted seeds.

I've heard they like jingly bells and swings. Are there other toys they might like?
My pair does have several toys, bells, and such available but they're not crazy about them. I do hear bells jingle every once in awhile, but its not from them playing with them, more just landing on them.

Letting them out and about with my parrots would be a bad idea, right? Would keeping them in their cage while my lovebirds fly free in my bedroom/bird room be okay once they're out of quarantine, or should I just not even take that chance?
Yeah probably a good idea. My finches live with their foster sister (Lada - Female eclectus parrot). They of course have separate cages and for the longest time I tried to keep them separate, but both they're cages are open pretty much throughout the day if I am home as I have conditioned them to keep to the kitchen. Lately the finches like to sometimes go inside Lada's cage. At first Lada definitely didn't like this and I prevented it as much as I could, but now, they pretty much keep away from each other and don't mind each others company. They will sit together relatively close, but Lada still gets a little nervous sometimes when they start flying around her. 99% of the time though, everyone is happy. I do worry about the one time one of the finches accidentally flies right into Lada's face. That may end badly and as a result, I usually shoo the finches out of her cage if they get a little too adventurous. At the end of the day though, I have an unusually chill parrot so please be careful if you try this.

Is four months old too old for hand-taming?
Never too old in my opinion and I have had both good and bad experience with my pair. It is a LOT of work no matter what you do.

Do I need to grate their cuttlebone, or can they scrape it like parrots?
Nope, they will chew it up just fine on their own. I have crushed it in the past though. They would still sometimes go back to the intact bone even with the crushed bone underneath.

Is there a way to tell if they're actually both boys? Even if they weren't related, I don't want eggs. I have a second empty cage I can use if they're not the same sex, but I'd prefer to keep them together. I don't particularly care about song, either. They just need a home and I'm willing to give it to them.
The males will sing. With time you will know. If you want to be double sure, you can do a feather or blood test. By the way, my mated pair live together just fine without eggs. There are methods to prevent egg laying. Just remove anything that encourages nesting behavior and most of the time, that will fix the issue. Could go into a lot more detail here of course, but just look into this in the future if you have a need.

Should I cover their cages at night like I do with my parrots?
I started out covering them, but don't any longer. I then just started turning off the lights downstairs to not disturb them. Over time it became apparent that they had their favorite sleeping spots in the cage and a favorite bedtime and even if I was still working in the kitchen, they would snuggle up and pass out. They now sleep through some of the noisiest things imaginable lol. Of course I don't intentionally go out of my way to keep it loud and bright in the kitchen late at night, but I don't necessarily tip toe around them anymore. Once they decide to snuggle up for the night and go to bed, that's it lol, they are out for the night and nothing I can do will get them up. Even giving them a little pet usually has them peeking up at me, making a meh expression, and snuggling down again. I guess what I am saying is eventually they will get very comfortable in whatever environment you provide them and they will form a routine. My pair get plenty of sleep, plenty of exercise, eat better than I do, and are very happy little finches :)

Do they need grit? I'm seeing conflicting information and I don't want to get them sick. I have none of my birds on the stuff, but I can easily get some if I need it.
No, they do not need grit.

Hope this helps answer your questions. Visit my YouTube channel "AtomiFlock" to see for example their cage setup, routine, habits, etc.

Cheers

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I joined because of this post!
Oh yayyy! I just welcomed you in your introduction thread. :) Thanks for joining.

Small but mighty!