• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So I made a mistake

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Today, randomly , a little finch / sparrow bird was flying in our apartment building. Its a big building, holds about 150 residents . One of my neighbours knocked on my door thinking it might be my pet as he knows I have birds.

He caught the bird and I gave him my budgies travel cage thinking at first it was someones pet. I then realized I could not keep it as I have parrots and not enough room for quarenteen , and he decided it must be a wild bird and decided to set it free.

So How do I thouroughly disinfect my cage? It is now sitting in a hot tub of water with dish liquid overnight.

After doing some research online, I think it was a Clay-colored sparrow , it had some white coloring on its head. Hopefully those aren't pets -.-

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I'm not sure if that's a wild bird but hopefully it was. I think alot of wild birds are brown so let's hope :fingerscrossed:

Do you have any f10? That's the best disinfectant you can use.

If not, I'm guessing vinegar and bleach could work.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
i dont have f10 or know what that is. how much bleach ;d

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
It doesn't ship to my area

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Bleach strength. 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. So 1 ounce bleach to 10 ounces of water. Or 30ml to 300ml.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bleach strength. 1 part bleach to 10 parts water. So 1 ounce bleach to 10 ounces of water. Or 30ml to 300ml.

This. Spray it down and let sit for at least 10 minutes, rinse, then let sit in the sun to air dry

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Bleach is actually effective on more organisms than f10. For a cage and occasional use I would say use bleach solution, clean with soap and water first then rinse, then spray or wipe on bleach, let remain wet 10 minutes and rinse well.

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I'm not sure if that's a wild bird but hopefully it was. I think alot of wild birds are brown so let's hope :fingerscrossed:
It looked just like that clay colored sparrow, white markings on head, grey all over. It was definately in the sparrow family.