• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So... I almost ran over a kitten this morning.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
We were driving, and this like 10 week old kitten walked onto the road and just LOOKED at us.

We stopped and picked the poor thing up only to find its nearly impossible to find a shelter that takes cats where we are.

I'm stumped on what to do, I cannot bring this cat into my home I am highly allergic and my husband is deathly allergic as it messes with his asthma . Just picking the little guy yp and holding him for a few moments made me sneeze violently and made him weeze.

Right now its on the back porch in one of my old birdcages (I HAVE NO CAT STUFF) with a tarp over the top to protect it from the sun and rain, with food and water.

But I can't keep it there for longer than three days.

Help me folks anyone know of anyone in the shreveport area that might take in a kitten?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
maybe check your local facebook groups, especially lost pets?

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Done that this guy is pretty young and scruffy. Shreveport has a huge stray cat problem.

I have an ad going up tomorrow.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Thank you for helping him! Maybe you can post an add on AA too to see if anyone wants to take him in. It sucks that no shelter wants to take him in, and weird too I thought shelters helped the strays and surrendered animals:what: Kittens are usually, at least in the shelters I know, fairly easy to relocate. Then again we don’t really have a lot of strays. I hope you can figure something out quickly!!

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Porter contact your vet for suggestions, see if they can take it

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
what about a pet-store for suggestions?

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Done that too, we only have Petsmart and petco.
Sighs- This is turning into a no win situation.

I'll keep folks appraised.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
@Porter checked with Rescue Me but I dont know what Shreveport is close too, you may want to call one of the rescues and see if they could recommend any rescues places near you.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
Darlin, I've called about 5 rescues, 4 shelters and animal control.
The best that will happen is Animal control will come get the kitten and put it down humanely.
Which is my LAST resort if I can't find a home for it in the three days.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Perhaps a horse facility? A lot of them around here have taken at least one cat in from someone who didn’t want them and such. Theh linger around the stable and such. Even if they don’t want the kitten they know a lot of animal people who might want him.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Perhaps a horse facility? A lot of them around here have taken at least one cat in from someone who didn’t want them and such. They linger around the stable and such. Even if they don’t want the kitten they know a lot of animal people who might want him.
Good idea! Any farms or ranches would probably take in a barn cat.

Otherwise, just bring it across the border. Texas probably has places that'll take it. Surely?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Darlin, I've called about 5 rescues, 4 shelters and animal control.
The best that will happen is Animal control will come get the kitten and put it down humanely.
Which is my LAST resort if I can't find a home for it in the three days.

That would be sad, but still better than starving to death in the streets or getting hit by a car. :(

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you for helping the kitten and hope you can find some place that will take her/him in and care for her/him.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
We were driving, and this like 10 week old kitten walked onto the road and just LOOKED at us.

We stopped and picked the poor thing up only to find its nearly impossible to find a shelter that takes cats where we are.

I'm stumped on what to do, I cannot bring this cat into my home I am highly allergic and my husband is deathly allergic as it messes with his asthma . Just picking the little guy yp and holding him for a few moments made me sneeze violently and made him weeze.

Right now its on the back porch in one of my old birdcages (I HAVE NO CAT STUFF) with a tarp over the top to protect it from the sun and rain, with food and water.

But I can't keep it there for longer than three days.

Help me folks anyone know of anyone in the shreveport area that might take in a kitten?
Check with your vet - they've contacts and usually have a network though they won't tell you. I know you're in a tough situation because you don't have the option of keeping her but make sure you tell your vet. It makes it simpler when there's a medical situation (note I didn't say easier). Asthma is not something you can exactly work around or adapt to.

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
I've already called my vet, she talked to a few foster folks and there is no room.
Spring means an overabundance of kittens... thus its getting harder and harder to figure out what to do.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
Thank you for helping him! Maybe you can post an add on AA too to see if anyone wants to take him in. It sucks that no shelter wants to take him in, and weird too I thought shelters helped the strays and surrendered animals:what: Kittens are usually, at least in the shelters I know, fairly easy to relocate. Then again we don’t really have a lot of strays. I hope you can figure something out quickly!!
I am actually glad that the shelter refused. During the summer months shelters can get up to seventy litters of kittens a day, and unless this kitten can tell jokes and make you breakfast the chances of him getting a chance of being adopted from a shelter are slim.