• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So does anyone know what kind of duck my pet duck is?

Teresa McKevitt

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
I used to do work for a wildlife group a few years ago and Gossie here was one of our rescues. Noone at the time could find a home for him so he came home with me. He turned out to be a domesticated duck of some sort. My Avian vet thinks he might be a mix. Either way, he has been wonderful. He has bonded with my female and has taken over the duck garden as his domain. I need a sign that reads "Beware of Duck".

He looks all black, but in the sun, his head shines green and he has some purple and green on the tail feathers. But the colors can only be seen when the sun shines on his feathers... He's really beautiful. I have 2 other ducks, a Buff Orpington and Rouen. In comparing them, Gossie's neck is really long a skinny. In fact, people at the wildlife facility thought he was actually a goose when he was a duckling... He's full grown and smaller than my other two.

IMG_0030.JPG

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So pretty!

Eleanor J

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Eleanor Jinks
He is beautiful! Sorry I don't know anything about ducks, what a quirky companion.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don't know but he is adorable!

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
That is an indian runner/swedish mix. I have had both breeds. They are very protective, especially of their girls. ;) I have had multiple and every time I have my females in my arms they follow me around and yell at me till I put them down. He is beautiful!

Teresa McKevitt

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
And thank you Sophia! Do you have pictures of your ducks? I would love to see them. Gossie is very protective of his mate. He follows me around when I hold the female. You're so right! He will even stand back and wait for her to finish eating before he'll eat. What a gentlemen right? ;)

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
And thank you Sophia! Do you have pictures of your ducks? I would love to see them. Gossie is very protective of his mate. He follows me around when I hold the female. You're so right! He will even stand back and wait for her to finish eating before he'll eat. What a gentlemen right? ;)
Aww yes. What little gentlemen. Sadly my boys aren't as sweet. My only sweetie got attacked by a weasel not too long ago. It got into the coop overnight, the winter ice left just a slight crack in the door for a weasel. Luckily no one else got hurt or even attacked, but sadly all of the boys we have now are little jerks. One is a beautiful Saxony and his son is a saxony/ swedish mix. I have two other female swedish, one cayuga (now that Pablo was killed), one pekin rescued from slaughter, one crested, and two Chinese crested geese. Somebody finally started laying after such a long winter! I will have to get some pictures today. I only have baby pics on my home computer. I will have to take some good ones. The only ones I have on this computer are of Momo who passed the day before my birthday back in December.

Teresa McKevitt

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Good morning Sophia,

I'm so sorry for your lost Pablo and Momo. Big hugs to you.

I'm so glad no one else got hurt in the weasel attach. That's so scary. We have lots of racoons here to watch out for. I only have 3 ducks and they are extremely tamed and come in the house at night wearing their duck diapers. They only go out during the day in their garden. My 2 girls have been diaper trained for almost 8 years now. They are like our dogs. They constantly follow us around and they come to me when I call them, especially Gossie. He's the one that comes running first when I stick my head out the door and sometimes he'll wait for me at the back door. He knows I have treats I guess but he is very sweet.

It sounds like you have such a beautiful selection of breeds. If I could have more, I would. I always guessed that Gossie was part Indian Runner but didn't know what Swedish ducks were till you. Thank you again. I looked up some online pics and Gossie is an exact image of both! It's amazing. You know your ducks.:)

That's such good news that someone started to lay. Do you keep the ducklings or do you sell them? Definitely share some pics when you get the chance. Also, It's so nice the hear that you rescued a Pekin from slaughter. Hats off to you! My 2 girls were rescues as well. I'm a vegetarian and I can't imagine my Coco or Lulu on a menu. They are so sweet and have wonderful personalities. I can't even imagine that being lost to someones appetite.

I've attached a couple of pics. The first is Coco and the second is Lulu.

IMG_6033.JPG IMG_5709.JPG

Sophia101

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sophia
What cuties! I have always loved ducks. This was the first year we have ever bred our ducks cause my goose decided duck eggs were perfect to lay on. She hatched two but one got trampled in the night. :/ The other one is a HUGE boy with THE most beautiful feather pattern.

Momo came inside a lot but we have SO many it would be hard to keep them in all the time plus I don't trust my dogs. My sister is a vegetarian, I was but couldn't handle the pressure of jerkey. :( I broke under pressure.

They are SOO cute! I will post mine ASAP.