• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So confused

Revali

Walking the driveway
My bird is scared of me for sure. Offering seeds to him is not an option he just wont. I've only had him for three days. How do I first get my bird to not think I'm an enemy? If I let him out and he doesn't want to got back in at all wouldn't forcing him back in be traumatic. I spoke with an aggressive bird lady at a bird only pet store that said I need to just go in and get him out and that's that.. well bad idea he's defiantly MORE scared now and I feel bad about it and got bit very hard :meh:. Now he wont stop trying to jam his head through the cage.
My impression was first I only deal with him in the cage until he's not scared of my hand and then move on to letting him out. Is this correct? cruel?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You really have to just be very patient. Remember that he is in a new environment with new objects and people and he is scared. Don't try to force him to come out and step up. Let him guide you. Sit next to him, talk to him, drop a treat of some kind into the cage when you walk by. That aggressive bird lady gave you bad advice. Once again, BE PATIENT!
How is he doing with eating, btw?

Revali

Walking the driveway
You really have to just be very patient. Remember that he is in a new environment with new objects and people and he is scared. Don't try to force him to come out and step up. Let him guide you. Sit next to him, talk to him, drop a treat of some kind into the cage when you walk by. That aggressive bird lady gave you bad advice. Once again, BE PATIENT!
How is he doing with eating, btw?
:( Now when I sit by the cage he shuffles back and forth then shoves his head through the bars (he's trying to squeeze through)
above all I want him to be safe. I let him out and was just letting him explore he got into a cold corner of the house (too cold) and hunkered down. I managed to get him up onto a big wooden spoon and I put him back into his cage and now he's eating. Thank you very much for the help.
P.S. Are there any essential training books you recommend?

Revali

Walking the driveway
Is the bar spacing too big for him? Not good if he is trying to stick his head between the bars and gets stuck.
Use a dowel, perch or t-stick and have him step up on that as long as he is willing to do that.
Welcome to BehaviorWorks.org
Training Parrots | Parrot Training DVDS & Books
Yes its too big his new cage should be coming in the next 5 days. Hexagonal Cage - Exotic Nutrition
I think his 5 mins out may have made some headway between us. He's been pigging out for like 35 mins now. As for getting stuck... I know, I'd never forgive myself if he got hurt. If it continues going on ill have to get some window screening to keep him safe.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Curious as to why you ordered that cage. Not what I would consider the best choice. Sorry, JMHO. I think a flight cage would have been a much better choice. Good to get a cage that is wider than taller or at least more equal in width and height.

Revali

Walking the driveway
Curious as to why you ordered that cage. Not what I would consider the best choice. Sorry, JMHO. I think a flight cage would have been a much better choice. Good to get a cage that is wider than taller or at least more equal in width and height. [/QUOT

According to a video I watched she or he had stated that bird cages are not for flying and it only needs to be big enough for the bird to flap its wings. Also I live in an apartment and it looks like it would tuck into corners nicely. Would you recommend returning it or would you think its passable?

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I agree on the choice of cage.

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
According to a video I watched she or he had stated that bird cages are not for flying and it only needs to be big enough for the bird to flap its wings. Also I live in an apartment and it looks like it would tuck into corners nicely. Would you recommend returning it or would you think its passable?
Round cages are generally a bad idea as birds feel less secure in them. They're also a whole lot harder to clean and furnish properly and they really don't fit nicely into corners. Looking at the one you posted, I'd think it was designed to sit in the middle of the room rather than beside any wall. While birds may not do a lot of flying in their cage, they do do a lot of climbing and it looks like the bars of the hexagonal cage are almost all vertical, which makes climbing difficult.

As for your original question, three days is no time at all. Birds require a ton of patience. It took two years of working with him before I could handle my cockatiel. If he's so fearful that he's trying to squeeze through the bars of his cage to get away when you're near, then you definitely have to take a step back. Get a chair in there and talk/read to him softly from across the room. Let him get used to your presence before you move a little closer each day until he's comfortable with you near his cage. Proceed from there. You're dealing with a very scared prey animal and you absolutely need to take building a relationship with him at his pace.

Be calm, be patient. He'll come around when he's ready.

Revali

Walking the driveway
Round cages are generally a bad idea as birds feel less secure in them. They're also a whole lot harder to clean and furnish properly and they really don't fit nicely into corners. Looking at the one you posted, I'd think it was designed to sit in the middle of the room rather than beside any wall. While birds may not do a lot of flying in their cage, they do do a lot of climbing and it looks like the bars of the hexagonal cage are almost all vertical, which makes climbing difficult.

As for your original question, three days is no time at all. Birds require a ton of patience. It took two years of working with him before I could handle my cockatiel. If he's so fearful that he's trying to squeeze through the bars of his cage to get away when you're near, then you definitely have to take a step back. Get a chair in there and talk/read to him softly from across the room. Let him get used to your presence before you move a little closer each day until he's comfortable with you near his cage. Proceed from there. You're dealing with a very scared prey animal and you absolutely need to take building a relationship with him at his pace.

Be calm, be patient. He'll come around when he's ready.
:) Thanks

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
How much do you want to spend on a cage? There are various flight cages with a range of prices.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Seems like the hexagonal cage would be better than the current cage he is in...

Agree though, patience. :) Pet store lady told you wrong (sadly, common advice :( ) and it's been a very short time... his world has been turned upside down, he probably doesn't have much reason to want to trust you right now...

"Self-Tamed" Cockatiels | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Revali

Walking the driveway
How much do you want to spend on a cage? There are various flight cages with a range of prices.
250 I think, I'm going to have to look into the return policy and see from there. I do know the round cage would work best in my apartment but ultimately I'd like whats best for my bird.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
As far as flight cages go you can get a really nice one for that price. Amazon has them for just over $100 and up a bit. With a flight cage you usually do not have access to the food dishes from the outside. Some people don't mind and others do mind.