• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So confused!

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ugh! So, when we first got Cisco, I would have sworn we had a female! He/she looked small for a BFA. When we took Cisco in to the vet, Dr. Mans had Cisco on his shoulder because that's where Cisco parked his butt and Mans guessed weight at 425 grams. I said no way! That bird couldn't be more than 330 grams! 415 grams once on a scale! I was shocked! Mans felt the pelvic bone and felt Cisco had to be a male because it was too narrow to be female. Body score was also 2 out of 5 so Cissy needed to gain some weight. Ok, so everything is now telling me I have a boy on my hands considering Iris is a girl and weighs about 390 grams.

I'm rummaging through our recent mail today and see something from the UW. It's the DNA results on Cisco...female! I'm so emailing Mans on this one! I'm stunned! It was done be Zoogen. Has anyone heard that they have a bad wrap? I might run it again with Avian Biotech!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
I would run it again. Obviously someone is wrong.:D

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Pelvic bone theory should only work on birds who have laid eggs in the past. None egg laying hens have tight hips.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Casey appears to be on the the small side for a BFA but I compare him to YNA Shannon and I believe that YNAs are generally larger than BFAs so it's not the best comparison. My vet also checked their pelvic bones and thought that Casey was a male & Shannon a female. I've always thought Casey was a male and Shannon a female. I know that the pelvic bone "sexing" is not as accurate as DNA and I thought about getting them DNA tested but it doesn't really matter to me.
Will be interesting to find out what results you receive from Biotech.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you want true accuracy go with a serum DNA. The feather test is close but not 100 percent.

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pelvic bones notoriously lie. I've never used anything but avian biotech. If you have serious doubts, send in another sample. I use blood and fresh, never been used nail clippers. Keep in mind that blue fronts have different subspecies that have mixed with captive breeding. That can produce some small males or large females.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Pelvic bones notoriously lie. I've never used anything but avian biotech. If you have serious doubts, send in another sample. I use blood and fresh, never been used nail clippers. Keep in mind that blue fronts have different subspecies that have mixed with captive breeding. That can produce some small males or large females.
Thanks Melissa! So Cisco really might be a girly Cissy! LOL! I just got used to calling him a him...ugh! I did email Avian Biotech and asked for the sample card. I have no problems cutting a nail a bit short for the blood. I've always just done it at the vet to insure no contamination. Thanks for the tip about a never been used clipper...I wouldn't have thought about that. See, this is the reason I have the vet do it! LOL! I swore when I saw Cisco the first time he was a she. He just looks small, regardless of weight. Of course, I'm notorious for ordering the wrong sized beads all the time for the business because I cannot judge the size by what they say it is! This is going to be interesting!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
That's what happened with Secret. The bird was smaller in appearance, we called the bird a her and its stuck in my mind and heart that way.

DNA said male.

I would always check gender at vets simply because of health issues that can arise later in life.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
That's what happened with Secret. The bird was smaller in appearance, we called the bird a her and its stuck in my mind and heart that way.

DNA said male.

I would always check gender at vets simply because of health issues that can arise later in life.
We generally check as well unless it's absolutely obvious like Smokey, our newest grey...he humps Jon's hand if given the chance! I asked for five cards from Avian Biotech. I think I'll run Cisco again and maybe do Smokey and the BFA pair. Other than that, I think everyone has been DNA sexed in my house.