• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So Caribbean Cruise ~ Dominica - PARROT Alert!

Status
Not open for further replies.

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Dominica was another mountainous and gorgeous Island. Here I hired a guide to take us bird watching since I had read that there were 2 types of Amazons endemic to the Island. Another couple on the cruise that was from Scotland joined us and we went on the quest to find the Sisserou and Jaco Parrots. They are both Amazons. We drove for an hour and a half on really crappy roads :) up to the Syndicate Rain Forest. I quickly found out once we headed down the path into the forest that taking pictures was not going to be easy. It was a pretty dense forest and low light. Camera lens worked great as a spotting scope and we saw quite a few different birds. We kept hearing the parrots calling back and forth but we walked and walked and were not seeing them :( Then we spotted a pair flying over the canopy and the guide said it looked like they headed out towards the road. There were citrus and banana fields all up one side of the road leading into the National Park. So we headed back out to the road and walked the road for about an hour. We should have stayed out there the whole time! We saw 4 different pairs of Jaco parrots and 3 pairs of Sisserous fly over. Now to find some that I could actually take pictures of! Both of these species are on the endangered list and they have a successful breeding program where they are releasing them back into the wild every year. There is nothing like seeing parrots flying above you in the wild.

Here are a few of the different birds I did manage to get pictures of

For the most part this is what it looked like trying to take pics of the birds. Dark in the trees and bright sunshine behind them

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Now for the whole reason I hired a guide to go birding! This is the Jaco Parrot or Red Necked Amazon. It was so nice for this guy to kindly sit and pose for me. I am pretty sure he/she is a juvenile because he does not have the red neck. We did see several flying over that had the red neck.

This is the only picture I was able to get of the Sisserou and I really need to learn how to take pics in flight :lol:

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
Now for a little bit of the scenery

A bus that was crushed under a tree during a Hurricane several years ago

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wow! That Jaco Parrot is gorgeous!! How lucky you are to have seen so many beautiful birds!! The scenery is gorgeous!!!:D

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
I love his red eyes. He was jabbering away and we were trying to figure out where he was. We must have listened to him just a jabbering softly for about 10 minutes before I figured out where he was sitting. Then it was :huh: I looked that tree numerous times and never saw him :)

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
How lucky are you to get to see one! Are they referred to another name by the species or is that their local surname?

southernbirds

Rollerblading along the road
Wonderful photos. You are a fantastic story teller with your pictures.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
The birds are beautiful! Your photographs are stunning!

Matt

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
The Jaco is also called the red necked amazon and if I remember right the Sisserou is is also called the Imperial amazon. The is a man on the island that has been studying all the birds of the West Indies for years and he wrote the guide to birding in the West Indies, he just happened to drive up with two forrest rangers and stopped and talked to us right after I took those photos. So that was interesting to talk to him. I would have liked to talk longer but we had to head back to the ship before it sailed away without us :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.