• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So back to the stepping up issue...

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
I posted about this a while ago somewhere on this site that Kiwi didnt want to step up, but was fine with hands and liked being out and about once she was finally off her cage. I started to think it might be just her being a new bird and not used to us yet. Well she's settled in very well but the stepping up problem has not changed - rather, I've noticed more things about it. She is now target trained with a clicker and although she knew HOW to step up before, she just wouldnt, so I've been trying to train her to step up with the clicker but she wont come anywhere near my hand if she can tell she has to walk on it. I've tried a lot of different things and it seems she sees right through all of them, like she knows exactly what I'm trying to do. It's like she is fine with HANDS but afraid of STEPPING ONTO hands. We dont know anything about her life before finding us and I'm wondering if anybody can think what would cause her to be so afraid of something so specific? What might have gone wrong in her last home? And how I can get my finger close enough to show her it's okay to step up without getting the living you-know-what bit out of me? To recap: she IS okay with hands and will often put her head down for scritches but the moment I move from "scritch position" to "step up" position I get bit. On the occasion I can get her off the cage she loves being out and sitting on my shoulder while I do whatever. It's the transfer from point A to B that is the problem, as far as I know.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Will she step onto your arm or shoulder? An arm with/without a sleeve? We even have a couple that climb on top of their cage, then one of us will back up to the cage and they hop onto the shoulder.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Maybe she doesn't like being taken away from her cage, even though she does have fun while she's away. Could she associate step up with moving away?

Our new G2 stepped up readily when we met her in her old home, but threatens to bite if we ask her to here. I do think she may not have had a choice in her old home, but we will let her decide if and when she is ready. This cage is new to her, so I don't think she is territorial (at least not likely yet) but I do think it is her only safe place right now. Even though Kiwi has settled in, could she just be reluctant to leave her cage for some reason?

I'm very curious how this thread goes as we may be in a very similar situation soon. :)

Goffinsmamma

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Madison
So why do you keep using your hands? Common sense my dear. Use something else to transfer like your elbow/forearm/shoulder whatever. If you must you can use a tool like a T stick.

Pictures - The T stick. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum
Still reluctant, but you're right the arms do work better. I've tried using one of her old perches but she wanted nothing to do with that. I haven't tried the shoulder yet though, never even thought about it! I'll have to give that a shot today when she's out and about.
Maybe she doesn't like being taken away from her cage, even though she does have fun while she's away. Could she associate step up with moving away?

Our new G2 stepped up readily when we met her in her old home, but threatens to bite if we ask her to here. I do think she may not have had a choice in her old home, but we will let her decide if and when she is ready. This cage is new to her, so I don't think she is territorial (at least not likely yet) but I do think it is her only safe place right now. Even though Kiwi has settled in, could she just be reluctant to leave her cage for some reason?

I'm very curious how this thread goes as we may be in a very similar situation soon. :)
Yeah it sounds like we're in the same boat. I wish I had her last owner's contact information, I think knowing a little more about them would help me get to know her better. We rescued her from a rescue if you know what I mean, and they didnt lmow anything about where she came from :(

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
As suggested you can try your arm instead or even you hand out flat. My cockatiel who was a complete snuggle bug and not afraid of hands at all refused to step up onto fingers. He just wouldn't do it. But was completely fine with stepping onto the back of my hand out flat.

Oh, and my 'too won't step up onto hands either. Apparently his prior owner taught him to step onto shoulders (which I know a 'too on your shoulder is not always a good idea) but that's how he learned.