• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So Angry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TextsFromParrots

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kristen
:mad::mad::mad: I'm so angry right now at my coworker!!!! I've been taking care of Duncan since I noticed his tank had become overrun with algae. So far it's gone really well. This week I was going to do a partial water change and switch out a few decorations. Well this morning when I was back in the office I noticed it was quiet. No pump running, no nothing! :eek: I checked the tank and someone had unplugged his heater, filter and air pump!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: I asked my morning guy and he said that one of our Asst. Managers had had to do paper work and he probably had unplugged stuff to plug in his laptop and speakers. That means Duncan had all of this turned off for nearly 24 hours!!! :( He seemed okay, I plugged everything back in, but the water temp was pretty cool from the norm. About 10 degrees cooler. I hope he's okay. I'm just so :mad: right now! No one cares about him but me! They even made fun of me for naming him, not that i really care.

Is there anything i should look out for tonight? Though I'm not sure what I could do for him. :(

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
Have you asked if you can take him home? It sounds like nobody there really cares about him. What kind of fish is he?

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
It's the 'store' fish officially and it stays at the store. It's supposed to 'improve our morale' but along the way the people that were supposed to care for him stopped doing it. This is what I ended up doing for him http://forums.avianavenue.com/aqua-park/59948-help-i-need-help-fish-3.html#post946656

I
honestly don't have room anyway. :( If I had room I would press harder since he should have a bigger home and better care. He's a fire mouth cichlid.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm sorry Kristen, you've worked so hard at getting him back to a healthy tank. :( He should be fine. It should take 24 hrs or so for the water to warm up gradually again which will be ok. He's pretty hardy. You might want to post a sign on the tank or on the wall reminding people not to turn off his power. :(
:hug8:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I'm going to. You'd think it was common sense. :( I hope he's alright, I've grown attached to the little guy. I didn't know if he'd have any issues or even what those would be aside from floating oddly. It's been a bit of a war since the day guy keeps insisting on feeding him gold fish flakes. I've had to hide them repeatedly and now I think I'm going toss them out.

Hopefully he'll be fine, but grumpy tonight when I head in and make sure the temp is working okay. He always brightens up my day when I see him swimming around in his pagoda and generally being a fish. :D

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
What would have been more dangerous is a drastic change in temperature which didn't happen. Also it wasn't cold for too long so he should be fine. I can sure understand your exasperation with your co-workers for being so insensitive to another living creature's needs.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor Duncan! I am sure you are very frustrated! I hope he is OK. :hug8:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
Cichlids are pretty tough and Marie is spot on with the temp - as long as the change is gradual, he will be fine

Perhaps a sign right by the outlet on bright yellow or orange paper to not unplug anything and tag the cords as well - then no one can say they 'didn't know'

let us know how he does :hug2:

Aleu

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
:hug8: for saving the fishie despite these other people. Some people have less feelings towards animals that don't have fur :-\

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:( Any chance you can put a sign up by the outlets that says: "Please do not unplug - you will be killing our morale" with an arrow pointed at Duncan? :eek: It'll probably fly like a lead balloon but it's worth a try ... :rolleyes:

TextsFromParrots

Real Name
Kristen
I'm gonna go grab a some hot pink paper to put it on. I'm glad to know that this shouldn't harm him. I was really worried he'd end up having bad side effects from the misadventure.

greymatron

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Nicole
Ugh...People are so...:explode:

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
:mad::mad::mad: I'm so angry right now at my coworker!!!! I've been taking care of Duncan since I noticed his tank had become overrun with algae. So far it's gone really well. This week I was going to do a partial water change and switch out a few decorations. Well this morning when I was back in the office I noticed it was quiet. No pump running, no nothing! :eek: I checked the tank and someone had unplugged his heater, filter and air pump!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad: I asked my morning guy and he said that one of our Asst. Managers had had to do paper work and he probably had unplugged stuff to plug in his laptop and speakers. That means Duncan had all of this turned off for nearly 24 hours!!! :( He seemed okay, I plugged everything back in, but the water temp was pretty cool from the norm. About 10 degrees cooler. I hope he's okay. I'm just so :mad: right now! No one cares about him but me! They even made fun of me for naming him, not that i really care.

Is there anything i should look out for tonight? Though I'm not sure what I could do for him. :(
One thing you can do to fix this right up is 1) get a lot of cycled filter media from a healthy tank and put it in the filters of this tank. That will revive the biofilter. Also use a bit of Seachem Stability. 2) Find the guy that unplugged it and :laughing12:

Anyways, you most definitely after 24hrs have a dead biofilter. You will get an ammonia then nitrite spike that can stress and potentially harm/kill the fish. Just get a bunch of used, dirty filter media from a healthy tank. Any tank. Ask around. Hurry though. In actual fact, the danger from what has happened will last up to 30 days if the tank has to re-cycle on its own. Following my suggestion will omit the issue altogether.

Please take this fish home buddy. It sounds like nobody else cares about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.