• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Snowball had a biting fit

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Thank you very much! About how long do these last? My conures get over it within hours, is it the same?
Hard to say actually unless I were to actually see the bird doing this. Right now hormonal is only a suggestion, it may very well not be that. jlcribber above said it best...it very well could be the honeymoon stage....I forgot that you mentioned it's a new rescue, what jlcribber said above is very very true. In other words your bird is getting to know it's surrounding and what it can and can't get away with. Like establishing territory really.

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
Hard to say actually unless I were to actually see the bird doing this. Right now hormonal is only a suggestion, it may very well not be that. jlcribber above said it best...it very well could be the honeymoon stage....I forgot that you mentioned it's a new rescue, what jlcribber said above is very very true. In other words your bird is getting to know it's surrounding and what it can and can't get away with. Like establishing territory really.
Any suggestions to help show him its not okay? I read some of those articles, just not sure.

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
Like, establishing this with my conures was fairlg easier since i bought them as babies and their bites are much more tolerable. They know they get punished for biting and rewarded. Snowball doesnt even like treats, so im not sure how to reward him. He dossnt even like to eat sunflower seeds anymore.
He does however like to tear open peanuts and throw them aside after they're destroyed.

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
Update;
I just had snowball out, and he was getting very weird and quiet. Mg boyfriends dad was over and snowball was being weird and was going for ears. Hes away now and is screaming his head off

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
A vet check wouldn't hurt, especially since he's eating and his stools are water. The behavior really does sound hormonal. That article John posted is good, I read it when we first got Fred because some of his behavior was concerning to me. Now I know it's something he goes through and it does pass. But instead of attacking people Fred pulls away and demands solitude. I guess that's not so bad.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I honestly think that this is a hormonal spell. I find it hard to believe that his former owner had never seen this side of him.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Please read the article. Most of these questions are addressed.
Like, establishing this with my conures was fairlg easier since i bought them as babies and their bites are much more tolerable. They know they get punished for biting and rewarded. Snowball doesnt even like treats, so im not sure how to reward him. He dossnt even like to eat sunflower seeds anymore.

I'll get to the bottom line. It's going to boil down to "you guys". The energy you bring to the situation (which should always be nothing but "calm" and positive) and the way you handle him. There is never a need to excite/rile up a cockatoo for dancing/fun whatever. They get crazy enough on their own. When they get excited it's your job to diffuse the situation and bring that energy down. A bird can only bite if you provide the opportunity. You can't put your flesh in target range of the beak until you truly know and understand this bird. That will take a couple of years because they are that complex.

A rescue male cockatoo is a whole new level of ownership. Your conure is going to seem like free lunch compared to this bird. This bird is way smarter and thus more problematic. You have a steep learning curve ahead of you where behaviour is concerned because in order to change behaviour you must understand it. Snowball will not just magically quit doing these things and there's no quick "thing" you can do to stop it. You guys will need to adapt to the ways of the bird. Not bending the bird.

Punishment does not work for any animal and especially not a parrot. Adapt the the environment and the way you approach things so there's no need to resort to it.

Discipline/punishment. Just bad advice. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

http://www.associationofanimalbehaviorprofessionals.com/vol2no1friedman.pdf

Here is some more insight and knowledge to absorb. You got some reading to do.

This article is reprinted from The Pet Bird Report
with permission from the author

http://www.behaviorworks.org/files/articles/ABCs of Behavior 2004.pdf

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Playing on beds, couches and floors tend to bring out the worst in cockatoo behavior. Not sure why. I don't let my cockatoos on the floor because they are so notorious as a genus for getting a power trip and going after people's feet. The same can happen on beds and couches. They get to parading back and forth, crest up and then go for you. Hormonal behavior doesn't have to include masturbating. But, just because a bird is behaving badly doesn't mean its hormones. Sometimes, they are just being a cockatoo.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Any suggestions to help show him its not okay? I read some of those articles, just not sure.
Sure, patience! That's the key. Too's are a very demanding type of parrot, they need a lot of together time.
There is no easy fix, though remember your the boss, a parrot is a flock animal, and you have to act as leader of that flock, or believe it or not they will be boss over you. Being new to your home, the too is setting the stage of who's boss. It's ok to be firm, but never get mad or react to bird.... That will never accomplish anything but hatred between bird and you.
Try mellow music, find say just piano music or violin ( I know....really?!) But it works...soothing music calms the beast remember!!!!!

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors

I'll get to the bottom line. It's going to boil down to "you guys". The energy you bring to the situation (which should always be nothing but "calm" and positive) and the way you handle him. There is never a need to excite/rile up a cockatoo for dancing/fun whatever. They get crazy enough on their own. When they get excited it's your job to diffuse the situation and bring that energy down. A bird can only bite if you provide the opportunity. You can't put your flesh in target range of the beak until you truly know and understand this bird. That will take a couple of years because they are that complex.

A rescue male cockatoo is a whole new level of ownership. Your conure is going to seem like free lunch compared to this bird. This bird is way smarter and thus more problematic. You have a steep learning curve ahead of you where behaviour is concerned because in order to change behaviour you must understand it. Snowball will not just magically quit doing these things and there's no quick "thing" you can do to stop it. You guys will need to adapt to the ways of the bird. Not bending the bird.

Punishment does not work for any animal and especially not a parrot. Adapt the the environment and the way you approach things so there's no need to resort to it.

Thank you very much, will read.
And I'm not attempting to make him mold to how i want him to be. I don't like punishment. When I say punishment, The only extent of that is a time out in a cage. Im a vegetarian, so i believe in animals as being respected and i just like to help animals. I also take pride in being patient, i don't expect him to be immediately fine once i say no thats bad. Admittedly I rushed into this whole cockatoo thing out of emotion, i felt bad for him. I thought i had volunteered enough and read enough to know. I know there will be a lot of trial and error. Im not expecting it to go away from this with ignorance. Over the past few days i havent been letting him go on shoulders, and putting him on his perches rather than on my bed or at my desks, etc. Ive always loved birds and was fasinated especially with macaws and cockatoos. So I think i was just too trusting because they are my favorite.
I really do appreciate these links and will read them now!

Last edited:

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
Playing on beds, couches and floors tend to bring out the worst in cockatoo behavior. Not sure why. I don't let my cockatoos on the floor because they are so notorious as a genus for getting a power trip and going after people's feet. The same can happen on beds and couches. They get to parading back and forth, crest up and then go for you. Hormonal behavior doesn't have to include masturbating. But, just because a bird is behaving badly doesn't mean its hormones. Sometimes, they are just being a cockatoo.
Ive been putting him on play perches more than letting him on my bed and desk space. Its a big learning curve! The more i thought about the situation and studied it, i dont think it was a hormonal attack at all. I don't think it was even territorrial. It was most likely him being him/trying to be the dominant

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
I honestly think that this is a hormonal spell. I find it hard to believe that his former owner had never seen this side of him.
They said he had bitten their daughters nose once, but he didnt leave marks like he had on my boyfriend. I just fear maybe I'm upsetting him somehow

Also it could be that his owners didnt pay enough attention for him to be out while having a hormonal spell, if this is what it was.

Last edited:

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors

Also I do hope you did not take my conure comment poorly. I know Cockatoos are a whole new ballpark. Conures are (at least ones ive come across) very easy to work with. I volunteered with rescue cockatoos and they did have a lot of issues. I just saw those issues right away and expected to see the same in snowball. Where with him i didnt. I guess my daft point was that I'm actually transitioning this one whereas the ones i volunteered with have already transitioned. In the time i volunteered, i was bitten quite a bit by cockatoos. Ive worked with pluckers, biters, and sweet ones. I know basic things about them, but i thank you for giving me information on this more advanced stuff i would never think to search or ask about otherwise. I knew the birds were very emotional and hyper. I now know that maybe theres no need to play, that they can entertain themselves. Its very different for me and im opening to learn!

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
A vet check wouldn't hurt, especially since he's eating and his stools are water. The behavior really does sound hormonal. That article John posted is good, I read it when we first got Fred because some of his behavior was concerning to me. Now I know it's something he goes through and it does pass. But instead of attacking people Fred pulls away and demands solitude. I guess that's not so bad.
Thank you for your reply! I was planning to take him to the vets for a checkup anyway, I'll just change his appt!

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
I just wanted to update this thread with one more post, and a thank you to JLcribber!
Ive read all his articles/threads he posted for me. I have read all with careful consideration. (English is my second language, so its hard sometimes to comprehend things. But ive tried my best even if some things are fuzzy. Usually I'm better speaking, not reading :/)
I think i may have gotten a bit into the problem with my friend
One, we've narrowed it to agression is normally shown to my boyfriend
Two, she notices Snowball may see my boyfriend as a threat, and i may be seen as his mate. (I noticed he's been trying to regurgitate on me, and i know this could be fairly innocent but given other things, my friend said it may as well be a courtship gesture.)
Three, he gets along with women more than men. My friend isnt sure if this is his hormones or just what he is used to, since his previous owners were all men. She said lack of experience with men may make him nervous.
Four, she thinks this may be a mixture of poor living prior, hormones, and dominance because of his bevhavior being unpredictable. She told me its fairly common in rescue cockatoos because we arent sure of their previous lifestyles/treatment/ how they were pet etc.

As for using his cage for time out, ive just been putting him in his cage with the door open, as one of the articles suggested, or on his perch while i do something else.

I'm very determined to figure this boy out, and I will never ever give up on him! That being said; i realized i never shared a picture of my baby, this was taken a while ago, when I let him on me, as i try not to bother him with cameras during our training. Gosh, this was like maybe our first week with him?

Attachments