• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Snowball had a biting fit

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
TLDR at the end
My cockatoo, Snowball is usually a very sweet, cuddly bird. Just today, we had a normal day, he cuddled me, my boyfriend, and my mother (he loves his grandma). We were in our room later, woth him out, and he started playing with my blankets, and i started playing with him. I guess this could have riled him up, but he didnt bute until later. Another part of this story, is usually he is fine with my dog, because she is a senior and not very playful, and usually he likes to dance with her. (By this i mean dance in front of her anf she stares at him) But later on, he bit my boyfriends finger, I think this one was an accident, but it still drew blood. Then my boyfriend went to lay down and Snow ran over and bit the back of his arm. Really hard. It started bleeding and bruising. We thought we calmed him down, we took the dog out of the room and then bit my boyfriends face. I tried to put him away, and he bit my finger multiple times and drew blood each time. Hes finally away, and was yelling and throwing a fot for a while, but ive been sitting with him in front of his cage and hes gotten back to being talkative and let me pet him. I havent taken him out because I'm admittedly a bit scared. My boyfriend reacted to the last bite on his face, and i reacted to the one of my finger because it felt like he was going to break it. (Im also very small so it wouldn't be that hard for him to.) I know its bad to react when a bird bites because they get something out of your reaction. Does anyone have any idea what it could have been or advice on how to handle it?
Snowball was a rescue, and i know he was neglected, but since us getting him and working with him, this is the first time he acted out to a human.
Another piece of info is that usually he is bonded more to me than my boyfriend, but he's been getting a lot better with that.

TLDR: My bird bit me, it was very out of the ordinary, any suggestions on why and what to do?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Sylvester

Hit the Road
How old is Snowball? Is he hormonal?

My U2 does not seem to cotton to other people when I am around. I am amazed that your cockatoo bonded so well to other people.

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
How old is Snowball? Is he hormonal?

My U2 does not seem to cotton to other people when I am around. I am amazed that your cockatoo bonded so well to other people.
Snowball is 26 years old, i just rescued him 3 months ago. He isnt hormonal, that i see anyway. He doesnt attempt to rub himself on things or lift his tail. But he does tend to gravitate toward women more. Idk if thats hormones, and birds can sense that like cats and dogs do, or just that his previous owner had no men in her house. I know he was neglected in his past because the owner had respiratory issues and couldnt be near him with his dust. And the other women in the house didnt like him
He is very friendly, it surprised me too. He gets along with everyone and loves attention from even random strangers when we take him to the pet store to get a new toy or food. This incident really surprised me, especially because of how close he bonded with me. Im also not sure what to do, because he has abandonment issues and screams when i even leave him in his room to go to the bathroom or to make dinner. I was thinking the attack could be territorial, but my boyfriend is home more than I am and gives him a lot of positive reinforcement and love.

Sylvester

Hit the Road
I think he accidentally bit you. He could view you as his mate and your boyfriend as being a rival. Nothing has changed about your boyfriend, right?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Snowball is 26 years old, i just rescued him 3 months ago.
This is what we call the "honeymoon". Until now you really haven't seen Snowballs true character. This is pretty normal for a rescue cockatoo. Especially a male.

New life. New environment. New blood (you guys). Better diet. All these things contribute to an "awakening" of many things. You have chosen to rescue one of the most difficult birds out there (male umbrella cockatoo). It's going to be a rough ride for a while until everyone (you guys and the bird) figures out their role and how to play it. This is a pretty common scenario. You're not alone but there is no easy fix.

What is Snowballs routine and what kind of environment have you set up for him?

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
I have a Galah and I know they are a very different bird, but he pulls completely away from us a couple of times per year for a couple of months. This time of year (he is starting to come out of it because yesterday he approached me for kisses, which he hasn't done since early January), and early fall. I hate it because I love my loveable playful Fred, but I have had him about 15 months and we've just accepted that this is something he does. I'm guessing it's hormonal. You will learn the bird's cycles as you see certain behavior cycle back around. I just call it his independence stage and the Galah does have a distinct independent side to them which is a good thing.AND HE'S STUBBORN, did I mention he's stubborn? :hehe:

Last edited:

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
This is what we call the "honeymoon". Until now you really haven't seen Snowballs true character. This is pretty normal for a rescue cockatoo. Especially a male.

New life. New environment. New blood (you guys). Better diet. All these things contribute to an "awakening" of many things. You have chosen to rescue one of the most difficult birds out there (male umbrella cockatoo). It's going to be a rough ride for a while until everyone (you guys and the bird) figures out their role and how to play it. This is a pretty common scenario. You're not alone but there is no easy fix.

What is Snowballs routine and what kind of environment have you set up for him?
I've contected his previous owners and they said he never acted out like that. So it may be that we are giving him significantly better life.
I know before he used to only eat sunflower seeds, because it was cheapest for the previous owner, but sunflower seeds are really high in fat and sodium. My boyfriend and I have gotten him onto fruit pellets, and he liked them very quickly.
His enviroment was in the same room as my other two birds, but when he got out and bit my conure, we moved him to our room, and as a result, he gets a lot of attention. He has his big cage with lots of toys and perches. But whenever possible, we have him out. He usually is out of his cage for 4-6 hours a day depending on how my boyfriend and I's schedules work out. Typically my boyfriend works mornings and i work nights so he usually always has someone with him. We also have my boyfriends Dad and my Mother either babysit or come over to watch the 3 if well be gone a lot. He is usually the favored bird to have out for both my mother and his dad, because of how friendly he is (and our sun conure has spoiled first child syndrome, and the green cheek likes to nibble affectionately). It was very out of the ordinary, and my boyfriend said he had him out this morning with no problems.
As for routines, he gets fed and given water in the morning before my boyfriend goes to work, and taken out later, put back innermitently when we take the conures out or when hes sleepy, or hungry. But usually we have snowball out more than the conures because he is a rescue and still (obviously) needs some work. He doesnt have regular baths because he isnt keen on them, and now that ive gotten rid of his buildup from when he wasnt given baths at all, he kept himself fairly groomed.

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
I have a Galah and I know they are a very different bird, but he pulls completely away from us a couple of times per year for a couple of months. This time of year (he is starting to come out of it because yesterday he approached me for kisses, which he hasn't done since early January), and early fall. I hate it because I love my loveable playful Fred, but I have had him about 15 months and we've just accepted that this is something he does. I'm guessing it's hormonal. You will learn the bird's cycles as you see certain behavior cycle back around. I just call it his independence stage and the Galah does have a distinct independent side to them which is a good thing.AND HE'S STUBBORN, did I mention he's stubborn? :hehe:
Birds are definitely in a world of their own sometimes. My conures are the most stubborn of the bunch, and they know "step up" but they refuse to step up if they have the feeling you will put them away. My sun conure is bity and my GC is hyper and nibbly (hes only 1 year old). But birds are really an interesting, beautiful creature.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
TLDR at the end
My cockatoo, Snowball is usually a very sweet, cuddly bird. Just today, we had a normal day, he cuddled me, my boyfriend, and my mother (he loves his grandma). We were in our room later, woth him out, and he started playing with my blankets, and i started playing with him. I guess this could have riled him up, but he didnt bute until later. Another part of this story, is usually he is fine with my dog, because she is a senior and not very playful, and usually he likes to dance with her. (By this i mean dance in front of her anf she stares at him) But later on, he bit my boyfriends finger, I think this one was an accident, but it still drew blood. Then my boyfriend went to lay down and Snow ran over and bit the back of his arm. Really hard. It started bleeding and bruising. We thought we calmed him down, we took the dog out of the room and then bit my boyfriends face. I tried to put him away, and he bit my finger multiple times and drew blood each time. Hes finally away, and was yelling and throwing a fot for a while, but ive been sitting with him in front of his cage and hes gotten back to being talkative and let me pet him. I havent taken him out because I'm admittedly a bit scared. My boyfriend reacted to the last bite on his face, and i reacted to the one of my finger because it felt like he was going to break it. (Im also very small so it wouldn't be that hard for him to.) I know its bad to react when a bird bites because they get something out of your reaction. Does anyone have any idea what it could have been or advice on how to handle it?
Snowball was a rescue, and i know he was neglected, but since us getting him and working with him, this is the first time he acted out to a human.
Another piece of info is that usually he is bonded more to me than my boyfriend, but he's been getting a lot better with that.

TLDR: My bird bit me, it was very out of the ordinary, any suggestions on why and what to do?
Hi, if I may offer a bit of advice on that.
One, hormonal attacks are sometimes mis- judged. In some birds, especially older birds...the hormonal attacks can come on anytime of day, usually afternoon/evenings. Can last a few hours to a couple days in older birds. My zon can rip skin from your bone if not careful when she has an hormonal attack. It's that time of year. The key is to keep a log, and know just when it's bound to happen... They can't help it, ( excuse my description here) but it's similar to having the worst period pain in women. Now you get the idea...it can come on anytime. And basically they feel uncomfortable and want it to stop, so they lash out.
Second thing that can stir them up to biting mode is their diet. It takes a little while for what they eat to kick in....if you give them lots of fruit, they can suddenly get a sugar rush...then come crashing down....much like giving a child too much sugar ( you know....the sugar buzz) then suddenly their sleepy....same thing.
Fruit contains lots of sugar.....best to go in moderation...parrots also love we we eat, and though it seems harmless, certain spices have a negative effect on behavior. Carbs, such as pasta, sweet potatoes, contain sugar, so again....moderation.
Last, sodium....believe it or not, many bird seeds out there contain a little sodium in them...take a handful of seeds from your stash, look up each and every seed you have, you'd be surprised. It's not easy, but I try to get my seeds individually, from health store, organic, because many suppliers of seeds are grown not far from where farmers spray their fields....pesticides! So I tend to rinse and dry out my seeds. Time consuming, yes, but worth it.

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
Hi, if I may offer a bit of advice on that.
One, hormonal attacks are sometimes mis- judged. In some birds, especially older birds...the hormonal attacks can come on anytime of day, usually afternoon/evenings. Can last a few hours to a couple days in older birds. My zon can rip skin from your bone if not careful when she has an hormonal attack. It's that time of year. The key is to keep a log, and know just when it's bound to happen... They can't help it, ( excuse my description here) but it's similar to having the worst period pain in women. Now you get the idea...it can come on anytime. And basically they feel uncomfortable and want it to stop, so they lash out.
Second thing that can stir them up to biting mode is their diet. It takes a little while for what they eat to kick in....if you give them lots of fruit, they can suddenly get a sugar rush...then come crashing down....much like giving a child too much sugar ( you know....the sugar buzz) then suddenly their sleepy....same thing.
Fruit contains lots of sugar.....best to go in moderation...parrots also love we we eat, and though it seems harmless, certain spices have a negative effect on behavior. Carbs, such as pasta, sweet potatoes, contain sugar, so again....moderation.
Last, sodium....believe it or not, many bird seeds out there contain a little sodium in them...take a handful of seeds from your stash, look up each and every seed you have, you'd be surprised. It's not easy, but I try to get my seeds individually, from health store, organic, because many suppliers of seeds are grown not far from where farmers spray their fields....pesticides! So I tend to rinse and dry out my seeds. Time consuming, yes, but worth it.
Snowball isnt interested in human food, just drinks. (Which is very annoying when im drinking a soda and runs over and Im like YoU cAnT). But i never let him have it. He also refuses to eat fresh fruits. The owner before him only gave him sunflower seeds, which i know are very high in fat and sodium. He didnt have a problem with switching from that to fruit pellets.
As for the hormonal attacks, having a cockatoo is new to me, I've volunteered with some but owning one is new. My conures are very obvious (to me since I'm used to them) when theyre having a hormonal attack. How can you tell if a cockatoo is? He was being really loving in between bites, but I noticed he wasnt talking much, which he usually is.
This is what made me think maybe it was anxiousness

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Snowball isnt interested in human food, just drinks. (Which is very annoying when im drinking a soda and runs over and Im like YoU cAnT). But i never let him have it. He also refuses to eat fresh fruits. The owner before him only gave him sunflower seeds, which i know are very high in fat and sodium. He didnt have a problem with switching from that to fruit pellets.
As for the hormonal attacks, having a cockatoo is new to me, I've volunteered with some but owning one is new. My conures are very obvious (to me since I'm used to them) when theyre having a hormonal attack. How can you tell if a cockatoo is? He was being really loving in between bites, but I noticed he wasnt talking much, which he usually is.
This is what made me think maybe it was anxiousness
never easy to tell, but the behaviour is similar in what you described. The soft bites inbetween the hard bites....the hard bites....it's experiencing a little discomfort from hormonal perhaps, the oww, make it go away bite.... The soft bites,, the I'm sorry bites.... My Zon does the get same.
The quick lunge or spin and lunge, can be a sign and back and forth eye pinning tail spreading....that sort of thing, with a too, hard to tell on the eyes. Body language, if it gets biting, leave it to rest in quiet. A time out... They get over it....

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
never easy to tell, but the behaviour is similar in what you described. The soft bites inbetween the hard bites....the hard bites....it's experiencing a little discomfort from hormonal perhaps, the oww, make it go away bite.... The soft bites,, the I'm sorry bites.... My Zon does the get same.
The quick lunge or spin and lunge, can be a sign and back and forth eye pinning tail spreading....that sort of thing, with a too, hard to tell on the eyes. Body language, if it gets biting, leave it to rest in quiet. A time out... They get over it....
Thank you very much! About how long do these last? My conures get over it within hours, is it the same?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I've contected his previous owners and they said he never acted out like that. So it may be that we are giving him significantly better life.
You can almost take it to the bank. Did you read the article I posted above? It's very good and a must read for all parrot owners.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Sorry to hear about the bites. I would not let him play in blankets. I think that was actually a contributing factor to my goffin biting my fiance. I think it makes them hormonal/nesty/territorial. If your boyfriend is laying down, I would not have Snowball out with him. As for not reacting to the bites, you can tell him no and put him back in his cage. You just have to be careful not to appear over excited etc- which is hard- but they don't really read excitement as good or bad- they just think it's fun. And the biting became a way to get my fiancé's attention too, I think. Something else you don't obviously want to encourage.

SnowJiLui

Meeting neighbors
Sorry to hear about the bites. I would not let him play in blankets. I think that was actually a contributing factor to my goffin biting my fiance. I think it makes them hormonal/nesty/territorial. If your boyfriend is laying down, I would not have Snowball out with him. As for not reacting to the bites, you can tell him no and put him back in his cage. You just have to be careful not to appear over excited etc- which is hard- but they don't really read excitement as good or bad- they just think it's fun. And the biting became a way to get my fiancé's attention too, I think. Something else you don't obviously want to encourage.
Thank you, that makes a lot of sense. He is usually very good with my boyfriend so it didnt make much sense.