• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Snow Day Amazons

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
286DAC55-629E-4940-A387-3D9662918F8E.jpeg 74F627AB-AF3A-42C7-960A-4D1E36958273.jpeg 49C243F1-4A60-4C1F-B4CB-AC0788F1DB62.jpeg 6C0D9A43-4FB6-49FB-8CF4-D5955AC529F2.jpeg 0E347A1E-327B-4992-9119-1ABDAF5F9885.jpeg 8B3FB65B-70DA-4816-B41E-6C1BE38EA672.jpeg Pictured are 13 year old Diva eating an almond. Her brother is probably 5 year old Mr. Baby on the boing. Ellie is their mom the 26 year old that can't hold still long enough to get a decent picture of.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They're beautiful! I need to get over my nervousness about Amazons. They're really so pretty.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Beautiful napes. Is one a parvipes?

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I always thought Ellie was. I tried to select her mate with the same traits. But for some reason Diva never got much yellow.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
just noticed Baby needs his beak trimmed or more chew toys. I hadn’t seen that until I was looking at my own picture critically.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
They're beautiful! I need to get over my nervousness about Amazons. They're really so pretty.
Some of them are total push overs! We have all really sweet females other than Iris BFA who can be a little snotty sometimes but will always bow down for food!:) They are motivated by their tummies.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Some of them are total push overs! We have all really sweet females other than Iris BFA who can be a little snotty sometimes but will always bow down for food!:) They are motivated by their tummies.
I think it's one of those things that I've just never handled them. Which is strange because the rescue here almost always has amazons. I think I need to see the eye pinning to get it and know I can read it. LOL. They are pretty.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That nape is impressive! Is that Ellie?
The one with a lot of yellow on her forehead and nape is Ellie. My first amazon that I rehomed at about 13 years old. She's pretty hot tempered but still tame. You can see Oscar trying to kill me from inside the cage in that picture. Which is why I rarely get pictures of him. If I let him out, I can't be in the room unless its to put him back in. Otherwise, I'll bleeeeed. Lots of blood.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Females can be excellent once they figure out they can't push you around. Ellie bit the heck out of my wrist when I went to her former owner's house to buy her. I could see that her owner was able to handle her easily, so I didn't hold it against the bird and assumed that we would work out our differences as well. Which we did. She still is one of those amazons that bites first and thinks about it later or never. If the dog gets too close, she bites something. Oscar is like many breeding male amazons and pretty violent all the time. I think the reason amazons have such a bad rap is firstly that some legitimately deserve it. Mostly males. However, even females make you work for their affection. Its not enough to love them a lot and shower them with affection to get them to like you. So people that are used to dogs and cockatoos will put off an amazon fast and will likely get bit more. They will also tend to bite more in their home territory when dealing with strangers. It can be hard to get to know the better sides of amazons without being willing to take a bite. Once you know your bird and you've worked through the first few weeks, amazons can be MUCH easier than cockatoos. Especially if its a female. Or one of the sweeter species like lilac crowns or orange wings.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
MC is a love bug for me. Secret, not so much.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Amarillo DYHA was my first Amazon and I met her at Tanya's. I approached her slowly and we spent the day getting to know each other and it was kind of love at first sight. I have yet to get bit by her and it's been nearly nine years now but she can be crabby towards others. She's great with Jon too who isn't the biggest bird person in the world.

Next came Abigail YCA who came from Chandra and she is a total bluffer. I was afraid of her at first but as soon as I realized that she didn't bite...she was doomed! LOL! Love that bird! You can do anything with her. She will act like she's going to bite but she never does or doesn't bite very hard at all...it's more like she mouths you.

Then we added Nibbles LCA who was sweeter than can be but doesn't like to be pet. Since she's buddied up with Abs, she no longer likes to be held at all which is fine. She's still cuter than a button!

Iris BFA came next and buddied up with Ams and Jon...she can't decide who she loves more...she tolerates me and has bit me a few times but never hard enough to break the skin.

Then we got Cisco BFA who LOVES me...tolerates Jon but barely enough to let him pick her up...she thinks I'm her mate and will let me stick my nose in her neck feathers and will let me pick her up by her body without complaint.

All females!:) We also have a BFA pair...the male, Bobo, is very protective of his female, Harley and will bite but is not horrible as far as the hot three go. He will step on a stick and as long as you are paying attention you can avoid the bite. Harley is sweet but nervous.

I think we really lucked out with our Amazons. I always thought they were kind of hard to read because you never know if the tail flair means they're happy to see you or they want to attack you. I never bother to read the eye pinning. Mine are all pretty much mush mellows but I don't know if they'd be like that for other people as we don't get many visitors and I know that Ams can get sassy with the vets. I'm always surprised when she hauls off and bites someone!;)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I had a parvipes I stumbled across years ago. A fellow member of The Amazona Society had 2 adult females and begged me for him. As they are uncommon, away he went to meet the ladies.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had a parvipes I stumbled across years ago. A fellow member of The Amazona Society had 2 adult females and begged me for him. As they are uncommon, away he went to meet the ladies.
I really thought she might be some kind of hybrid when I first met her. But, I went back and re-read a bunch of old bird talk magazines I had in storage and found a couple of articles about the subspecies. Like many parvipes, she is not a big bird. Very stocky and strongly put together, but not big compared to a lot of yellow napes.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I really thought she might be some kind of hybrid when I first met her. But, I went back and re-read a bunch of old bird talk magazines I had in storage and found a couple of articles about the subspecies. Like many parvipes, she is not a big bird. Very stocky and strongly put together, but not big compared to a lot of yellow napes.
She’s absolutely stunning regardless of her heritage!:)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

Brutus was also small compared to other napes.