• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sneezing lovebird, should I be worried?

Momo & Mido

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Hi,

I have Momo now for six months. After a few weeks she got sick (crop infection). Went to the vet and gave her anti-biotics.
But since I have her she sneezes maybe 2 times a day. I'm not experienced with birds, but I know I should be very careful. On the other hand I don't like taking her to the vet when it is not needed (to keep her form stressing out).

Does anyone have advice for me?

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm extremely cautious when it comes to sneezing as I've had a bad experience where one of my birds was really sick and the only symptom I saw was sneezing. If it at all wet make an appointment with your vet. If you're unsure if it wet, I'd make appointment just in case. If you're sure it dry I'd at least phone or email your vet.

An odd sneeze here or there is ok but sneezing every day is a sign of problem. The only time I'm not too worried about sneezing is after my birds has a nasal flush than its normal to sneeze for a couple days after. Since Momo just had a crop infection I'd be a little extra worried. I'd definitely talk to your vet. It could be something simple like perhaps you're administrating the meds wrong or something. But because of my experience I don't mess around when it comes to sneezing. Just my 2 cents

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Sneezing for a bird is not normal, especially after treatment with antibiotics. What was the antibiotic and what was the vet treating?
I would at least call this vet and let him or her know you think there is still a problem.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Is it a wet sneeze or dry sneeze? Dry sneezes are normal. Wet sneezes can be cause for concern. You may want to ask your vet about giving your bird probiotics too if she's on antibiotics.

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Thanks you guys!

I'm waiting for a respons from my vet.
Momo had a crop infection in May, witch was treated with anti biotics and probiotics.

I thinks it's a dry sneeze. But I'm not sure how I can tell. She seems to sneeze after flying.

I'm a little scared for her... birds are so fragile

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I would take her in just to be on the safe side. Gracie sneezes the day after getting a bath and it's a little snuffle sneeze thing she does. I know I am lame but I think it's the cutest thing eve when she sneezes. Lovies are tougher than you think, but if she is sneezing on a regular basis I would have the vet check her out to be on the safe side and make sure there is nothing going on.

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I also thought about the humidity. I read that humidity is good for there longs. A have a few plant near her cage and always take her to the shower. But could that be a little to much for her?
And than there is also the dust thing. She likes to hang, swing, sit and climb on lamps (that I do not always dust). So maybe a little allergie?
After I hear from the vet I will visit him and let you all know how it went.

You're the best! Thanks for being so helpful!

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Thanks Everyone who gave me the advice to visit the vet.

Today I did. It seems she has an airway infection (hoge luchtweg infectie). He saw that it was red. This morning she attacked my bouquet of fresh flowers, so I hope it wasn’t that. I feel like a bad mom.

Now I have some follow up questions for you.
1. He advices me to put a infrared light 70 cm from the cage. My parents have one with a timer. So I have to restart it every 15 minutes. What’s your experience with those lamps?
2. I have to give her antibiotics. She doesn’t like me to touch her. And I don’t want to break the trust. Has anyone have some advice on how to go about it?

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I had to go through all this not too long ago with my bird and I know how hard it is. You are most likely going to have to use a wash cloth to towel her but don't make it too tight around her. Just hold her softly in your hand. For the antibiotics I would mix them with a tart juice to cover the taste. I also would just give her the juice alone because she loved it and it made her get use to the syringe. Make sure you ease the medicine in gently because you don't want her to choke on it. Give her a little juice at first and let a drop fall in the side of her beak on to her tongue and let her taste it. Then give her the rest slowly and then you can mix the medicine with it.

What kind of medicine did they put her on?

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Thanks for the tip!

Marbocyl is what it's called. Unfortunately I have to give her 3 drops from the pipette, so I can't mix it up. But maybe I can think of something creative!

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I don't know if anyone is going to read this. But we are in on the 4th day of antibiotica and she still sneezes. I'm so worried. What if I have to go back to the vet...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Marbocyl has almost the same description as does Baytril and Doxycycline, but is not available in the US. It sounds as if your vet is giving a proper antibiotic. It usually, take an anti-biotic 48-72 hours to show any effects, so it's not time to worry a lot yet. If she doesn't show improvement in another 24-48 hours, you should contact the vet and probably take her back in.

"Marbocyl P is relatively recently developed antibiotic available in doses for use on dogs, cats, pigs and cattle. It has a broad spectrum of activity and can be used in infections affecting the skin, respiratory system, urinary systems and other soft tissues. Appropriate culture and sensitivity testing of the infectious agent is advised where possible. For mild and localised infections a course lasting a few days is all that is needed, but some infections, such as those involving the deeper layers of the skin, will require a course lasting several weeks."

A word about taking your bird to the vet. Don't ever hesitate to take him because "it may upset him". To put it very bluntly a dead bird cannot be upset and a day or two delay in going to the vet WHEN YOU SEE SYMPTOMS OR HAVE DOUBTS can make the difference.

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Thank you HankMacaw. I’ll give it some time.
And about visiting the vet, you’re so right. I’ll won’t hesitate to go!

I love this place! I can share my fears and thoughts and everyone is so supportive. Thanks everyone!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that your bird is ill and hope she is better soon. Are you keeping her warm enough and is she getting enough rest?
Do contact the vet if she continues sneezing? Did the vet take a culture which would have been done via an oral swab?
Sometimes bacteria/fungi are only sensitive to certain antibiotics and that can be determined via a culture and sensitivity test.

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
I try to keep her warm with the infrared light and even turned up the radiator. I turned the ventilation system on and a few windows (away from her cage) on a tiny gap (how do you say that in English?). So she is warm and has a lot air circulation.
I let her sleep at least 12 hours. During the day she also rest between seeking my attention and playing.

The vet looked and saw that the inside of her throat was red. Based on that and the sneezing he gave her this.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
It's that time of year where furnaces are kicking in and drying out the air. Check your humidity levels and raise them if needed. The dry air is very hard on their respiratory system. Most birds need about 50%+ to be comfortable.

Momo & Mido

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Irene
Thank you for the information. She always goes with us in the shower and because of my many plants there should be a good humidity level. But I’m new at this so if anyone knows a good article about this subject or any other advice, let me know!

I’m living in a rental apartment with a ‘geyser’ (for warm water) that is old. So I was afraid that maybe the cause of her infection. Wednesday they are going to replace it with a boiler.
If they’re going to do that, is it wise to keep her in another room/bedroom?

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You can get a very cheap hydrometer at the hardware store and check the humidity levels.