• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sneaky Trust

AviMom

Sprinting down the street
Im not advocating this method to new budgie owners, this was quite accidental, but a major break through.
Where I'm living is a true bird house. I had 2 budgies when I was young, but had cats, dogs, ferrets most of my adult life. I fell in love with the birds in my new home. I wanted a cockatiel, but couldn't afford one at the time. I expressed an interest in getting a parakeet to my roommate, and he gave me a cage and encouraged me to get one.
I got Wynter, my first bird the first of November 2017. A true bird novice, I made several mistakes trying to bond with her. I finally got Wylla, as a cage mate hoping it would help. I tried working with them, devouring the internet to find ways to train and bond with them. Nothing was working so I accepted it would just take time.
I loved my birds, even if they didn't seem to care for me. I ended up with 4 parakeets, when I fell in love with Wylde at the store, and had to have him. As I waited for the clerk to assist me, I noticed Wylde couldnt be away from a yellow parakeet even for a moment. The yellow bird hopped to another perch, Wylde hopped too. They seemed very attached to each other. My roommate said I had to get both, and bought the yellow parakeet, Wythe, for me as an early Christmas gift.
A few days later, my roommate gave me a HUGE corner cage for my birds. Long story short, I soon ended up with 8 parakeets over the next month as my love for birds grew. All of them were very young. No cere colors to tell sexes, and all untamed.
Over the next couple of months I tried to tame all 8 in a group session. I was able to get some of them to step up on a dowel rod, but not constantly and none very willingly. Again, I resigned myself to giving it time, and just being patient and enjoying their company.
This past March, I began making chop and feeding my birds chop each morning. I had hung spinach, lettuce, parsley etc in the cage long before, and tried getting them to eat sprouts, but it mostly scared the birds. Only Wylla liked her greens. At night, I would give the birds seed mix to make sure they ate enough.
2-3 days into doing this, I decided to offer the nightly seed from my hand. I took a handful of seed mix and opened the cage door. 8 parakeets quickly jumped on my hand and ate until it was gone.
I continued doing this for a week or so. Now the chop is preferred by my birds, and they eat so much more. I still feed some seeds, and nuts at night, but not always from my hand. But I am now able to get the birds to step up on my finger any time, they fly to me now, and finally trust me. That's the moral to my long story here I guess.
I had just about given up hope that they would ever tame, and accepted the flock mentality that there were more of them than there was of me....but now, I'm just part of the flock.

Attachments

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
the only reason they are perching is because they are hungry

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Wow! Budgie party! Congrats on getting all 8 Budgies to trust you. And I love their names.

the only reason they are perching is because they are hungry

This could be the case, but @Darklotus555 says in his/her post that, "But I am now able to get the birds to step up on my finger any time, they fly to me now, and finally trust me."

AviMom

@Budgiebonkers. Yes, that was the reason....they were hungry. I was and still am in the midst of converting them to chop. They were hungry.....thats why my post is titled "sneaky trust".
But like @SquawkNibbles reiterated now they step up on my finger any time and fly to me and now trust me.
Sorry if I wasnt clear.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
You go at their pace and use anything that would make them realize good things come from you and your worthy of their trust. Lurch took about 5 years to trust me and decide I was worthy of his love. Once he got there he flew after me like a feathered puppy and wanted scritches. Food and high value treats are a big motivater but they have to decide on their own your trustworthy and fun to hang out with. The day Lurch fell off his house and ran to me for rescue and protection I knew we were getting there.

AviMom

(Sigh) I'd never starve my birds. They were eating, I watched them the whole first day of chop feeding, and every day since. Everyone one of them ate during the first day. It was new, it was breakfast. I did my homework, and I knew they wouldn't starve in 6 hours. I gave them seed later in the day to make sure they would not starve. My birds are healthier now than before. Ones who' wings were clipped have finally are completely grown them back, when i used to wonder if they ever would, and they seem happier than ever. The chop recipe I just made has been completely gone by the end of the day,....bowls empty. They love it. They actually eat very little seed now because they prefer chop.
My birds are spoiled. I spend more money on food for them (all organic) than I do on myself. I give them millet, and sprouts as treats, along with nuts, and fruit. I love my birds, I'd never mistreat them. Most of my day is spent cleaning cages and dishes, toys and my floors. They get out of the cage for at least 4 hours a day. I'm devoted to giving them the best life possible. It hurts that someone would take this post out of context and think I'm abusing them.
Thank you to everyone who understood the point of my post. Lurch sounds precious, and im glad he came around.

lyx

Food is definitely the way to a budgies heart!! Glad to hear things are going well and you're all one happy flock!!

I couldn't imagine having 8 eating out of my hands at the same time though! Definitely sounds like a party :lol:

birbmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Megan
I can't wait to have a bigger place so I can get more birds. I have two right now, but only one is a budgie. I want to get a big corner cage like you mentioned, or maybe one of the bigger aviary type rectangular cages that fit up against the wall like a tv center. I think it would be so much fun to set up an environment for them to explore and play inside. Puck's (my budgie) cage is pretty big, and I've basically set it up to be a budgie amusement park :p but I like to spoil him and can't wait to get more of a set up like yours.

AviMom

@birdmom My flock grew quickly. But with such a large cage, and such beautiful creatures, (and my roommates encouragement, lol) I couldn't resist. I traded my corner cage for a big cage more suited for budgies....the bars are closer, and more flight room for them that my roommates conures were in. Hope made sense, the conures and parakeets traded cages.....
I'm a real bird brain now. I love birds, spend most of my time with birds, I'm pretty obsessed with birds now. Sounds like you really love your babies too. Spoiling them is half the fun of having them.

AviMom

Wythe actually kissed me 3 time Friday. I kiss my cockatiel all the time. Wythe, my yellow parakeet had come over to chill with me. I went to put her on the perch, and kissed her, and she kissed me back. So I did it again, another kiss. Tried it about 30 mins later, another kiss!!!!