• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Sneaker ball fresheners around birds?

Motherof'tiels

Strolling the yard
Hey, I just got a sneaker freshener, and I was wondering if I could use it around birds?

They are similar to these, where you twist it and it freshens the odor of your shoes

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I don't know anything about these, but I would say no because I'm sure it uses chemicals similar to air freshners.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've used them in a separate room from the birds before and it was fine. I wouldn't use them in the same room, though.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
I've used these in my refrigerators but not in the birds' room. It uses charcoal to deodorize our freezer but I understand you can use it for closets too. It doesn't contain any chemicals and you refresh it by putting it in the sun once a month. They've worked great. I even have some extra left over for future use even though it says they last about a year. They work pretty well.

Amazon.com: Jalousie 12 Pack Activated Bamboo Charcoal Refrigerator Deodorizer Natural Air Purifier Odor Eliminator for fridge closet drawer basement: Home & Kitchen

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I would say probably not a good idea. I know baking powder absorbs smells, you could maybe use that?

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I know baking powder absorbs smells, you could maybe use that?
Bicarbonate (baking soda is only 50% bicarbonate) is the best! And safe too.
You don't want to hide the bad smell, (with another bad smell IMO) you want to remove it. Using bicarbonate does that.

Bicarbonate is the best for many things, I use it for cleaning too, and never use things with perfume.
If your SS food or water bowls are getting yellow, just add bicarbonate and 1 drop of soap with a soft sponge and they will be as new again.

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I wouldn't use anything scented around the birds.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If the only thing inside them is charcoal then they're not dangerous at all. They are "absorbing" smell, not masking it. If there is any kind of "scent" associated with them then I would be concerned.

Charcoal and bicarbonate basically do the same thing.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I assume the "Fresh & Clean Scent" means they are scented, not just charcoal.

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
No it is just charcoal. It absorbs all odors. It is excellent and natural. I use this in my freezer, fridge, drawers, and in the birds' room although they smell nice to me. LOL

It is cheap, lasts a long time and comes in many different sizes. If it gets wet, you just dry it completely in the sun. I see nothing wrong with the charcoal product.

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
No it is just charcoal. It absorbs all odors. It is excellent and natural. I use this in my freezer, fridge, drawers, and in the birds' room although they smell nice to me. LOL

It is cheap, lasts a long time and comes in many different sizes. If it gets wet, you just dry it completely in the sun. I see nothing wrong with the charcoal product.

I just did a little research and someone's dog ate or chewed on some Sneaker Balls.

I received an email from the creators of Sneakerballs this morning. They assured me that the insides are non-toxic, and contain only scented paper.

Non-toxic for a dog is not necessarily non-toxic for birds. I would keep them away from the birds. They do not seem to contain any charcoal, do contain scents made of who knows what, at least not this brand.

Another site, guessing at the chemical compound:

my next guess then would be that they are using cyclodextrins

It's a very cool compound* that can trap hydrophobic aroma chemicals but can be paired with hydrophilic aroma chemicals so it can eliminate some smells while leaving other (hopefully more pleasant) smells. It also can do this for quite long periods of time. Edit: classification of compounds

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
@DQTimmehs, I believe you have my comment confused with Sneakerballs,which I've never used. I use the Bamboo charcoal boxes. They have nothing but charcoal in them. NO SCENTED PAPER. I'm using something called Activated Bamboo Charcoal Deodorizer. See below and the link. I will and have occasionally used baking soda. It gets rid of mold, mildew and other spores. This just absorbs bad odors. It doesn't provide any scents.

Amazon.com: Jalousie 12 Pack Activated Bamboo Charcoal Refrigerator Deodorizer Natural Air Purifier Odor Eliminator for fridge closet drawer basement: Home & Kitchen

Jalousie 12 Pack Activated Bamboo Charcoal Refrigerator Deodorizer Natural Air Purifier Odor Eliminator for fridge closet drawer basement

DQTimnehs

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Yes, I was responding to the OP's question and thought you were too. ;)

Familyof12

Real Name
Liz
Sorry. I was responding about the sneaker balls. I'm highly suspicious of any type of odor fresheners, especially sneaker ball types. Charcoal in canvas bags are sold too, you can hang them but I'm too worried the birds will chew through the canvas. I figured the hard plastic that you can hide easily would be better. To date, it is the most effective and non-toxic deodorizer I have found.